RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Best Bluing Shop Recommendations

Best Bluing Shop Recommendations

I have inherited a Winchester 1897 from my wife's Great Grandfather that he purchased in 1908. It has a 28 inch (from muzzle to breach, so maybe 26?) modified barrel and is a takedown. All of the bluing is gone or about 90% gone. I have a dilemma in that I respect the condition it is in, but would like to give it an updated look, ie bluing. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas. I don't intend to use it unless Armageddon strikes, but want to mitigate maintenance intervals with protected metal. Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Turnbull does great bluing and restorations .

I've used Dick Williams in Saginaw Michigan, they are reasonable in pricing. I've had several vintage 22's done and have been happy with their work. They currently have a 1936 vintage Model 12 in 16 gauge of mine for reblue and retiming-it had the potential to fire out of battery, not a good thing.

This is NOT Williams Gunsite in Davidson, Michigan.

This is not Turnbull quality, but it is quite serviceable.

Boolit Grand Master

Counterpoint… It took 115 years and the hands of generations to make that rifle. Don’t make irreversible changes lightly. My advice is to buy some Renaissance Wax and display your heirloom proudly.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I haven't done anything other than detailing. Currently in the safe and protected. It's action is a little rough, but it has only one action bar. So for its time must have been a great gun. Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've used Dick Williams in Saginaw Michigan, they are reasonable in pricing. I've had several vintage 22's done and have been happy with their work. They currently have a 1936 vintage Model 12 in 16 gauge of mine for reblue and retiming-it had the potential to fire out of battery, not a good thing.

This is NOT Williams Gunsite in Davidson, Michigan.

This is not Turnbull quality, but it is quite serviceable.
    Got the 16 gauge Model 12 back, they did a great job on it.

Glad I did it. Made an old worn gun look almost new. It's not a collectable shotgun, already have turned down considerably more than what I've got invested in it by a guy who knows it was re-blued.

Now I just have to figure out how to shoot it. I have a 12 gauge Model 12 that I shoot high 30's to low 40's on sporting clays, the 16, best so far is high 20's. Skeet scores are abysmal.

Boolit Bub
    15meter, Glad to know about Mr. Williams in Saginaw, have a 16 gauge Model 12 that Mr. Wright of Wrights Gun Shop in Ill. rebuilt and had to reblue[ he told me that he had never seen a firearm in that bad of shape] When I called him after he had done the job, his widow said that he had passed away, I didn't know who is a good smith for the Model 12s anymore, being in Saginaw, that is withen driving distance. But I don't foresee having to do any work on it, after he rebuilt it, the shotgun runs like a champ. Good Luck Chris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Turnbull does great bluing and restorations .
    Yes they do, and when they're finished with it, it will look and function just as it did the day that Winchester made it! They do outstanding work!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Counterpoint… It took 115 years and the hands of generations to make that rifle. Don’t make irreversible changes lightly. My advice is to buy some Renaissance Wax and display your heirloom proudly.
    And this is the other side of the coin; All those years of loving use and care are reflected in the appearance of that gun. Someone carried it through the woods, used it to bag game, and took care of it for 100+ years.

I had a similar decision to make a couple of years ago. I was offered an Ithaca Flues model 12 ga. SxS by a friend who had inherited it from his wife's family. Made in 1915, the receiver was devoid of the beautiful case-hardening colors it once had. The barrel set was 90% devoid of blue, a mottled gray taking it's place. The stock finish was in similar condition and I was seriously considering having it professionally restored (Turnbull is only 2 hours away!). Mechanically, it locked up tight as a bank vault. And it fit me! At last, I had the Ithaca I'd wanted for so long! And as I looked at it in my hands for the thousandth time, turning it over and over, I knew I couldn't do anything to change it's appearance, every scratch, every worn spot in the finish was the result of someone using it to pursue a sport that they loved - and to this day, that's what I do with it too!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown