Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass shotgun hulls in stock

Boolit Buddy
    For what it's worth I also tinker with the brass shells somewhat in my Grand father's old single. I use black, card and fiber followed by the shot or slug and use a thin overshot card atop that assembly. I also have an older MEC progressive that has the metallic crimp starters and I run the finish shell into those just enough to create a fold over (actually I ought to say a crimp START.......enough to firmly hold that overshot card), six or 8 point....top it with duco and done. I have not experienced a shell loss thru splitting yet......
    Last edited by dogrunner; 05-15-2023 at 09:17 AM.

This is the first time I have heard about not using smokeless powder in Brass cases. Where did those using smokeless get the data, did they just use load data for plastic hulls?
    I have recently watched some videos on you tube, some were using .444 marlin cases, some 9.3x74R and others using .303 Brit. all seemed labor intensive.
    I just sold off 100 new unprimed 9.3x74r with the intent of getting Magtech brass .410 hulls, now with their warning about not using Smokeless I don't know what to do.

Boolit Master
    "Magtech brass hulls are designed for traditional black powder loads. Please note that the primer pocket accommodates a large pistol primer."
    Might be a warning from brazil where subsistence hunters used to loading black power by volume did so usings mokless with brass shells. Brass shells certainly should not be weaker relative to pressures than paper or plastic shells. Pistol primers should be good to near 40K psi.

Boolit Mold
    I have read that the issue is that the large pistol primer is not hot enough to reliably ignite smokeless powder. Nonetheless I was glad I was able to get some of these hulls.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kilowatt View Post
    I have read that the issue is that the large pistol primer is not hot enough to reliably ignite smokeless powder. Nonetheless I was glad I was able to get some of these hulls.
    A rifle primer is not so different from a pistol primer, perhaps a little taller maybe.

Boolit Mold
    Yes they are taller and will not fit in the Magtech brass hulls. The primer pocket would have to be deepened and that wouldn't leave much metal around the flash hole since they are quite thin to begin with. I want to say there would be like 0.015" of brass left if these were deepened for a rifle primer. I've thought about trying it though. Of course this would be uncharted territory and require pressure measurement to work up loads.

Say what???
    What do we load pistol ammunition with?

Boolit Master
    Another suggestion go and try it first. I am reasonably sure that there would be no problem with a .410 because we are dealing typical pistol powder volumes assuming it is smokeless powders. Perhaps magnum pistol primers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Ballistic Products, Inc, has brass shotgun hulls in stock in all gauges. Cheddite primers also. And, if ya don’t load your own 00 buckshot, if you buy ten boxes, or more, only$8.89 per box of 25! Just a heads up, guys.

Be safe, have fun.
    I have used 45/70 brass to make .410 shells; just adjust shot collum and powder for proper load and length ?? Could look at 45/90 - 45/120 brass for availability and cost and cut to length??
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 01-02-2024 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    The brass shells are designed for black powder only....
    here's an article about loading them.
    https://www.americanhunter.org/conte...ss-shotshells/
    The guy in the article says to use Large Rifle primers, looks like he follows instructions, yeh, right.
    I have to admit, I have never tried loading these, but with the proper load I am sure they would be perfectly safe.
    The BIG question would be the proper load as no one (as in powder and or projectile company has never worked up loads for brass cases) not enough call for it so they don't do it.
    It is a lot easier just to say for black powder only.
    Something else I have never done, but is safe enough if done properly as a lot of members have done for years is duplex loads, something else that is verboten in reloading.
    I personally have basically made from scratch .450/577 shells out of copper tubing and the case head of 20 gauge shot shells, I did load them with black powder, shot them out of a Nepalese Gahendra.

I meant to add, some things take a very conservative approach to proceed with and a lot of common sense, which seems to be lacking in the majority of the people anymore.
    That combined with the sue everyone climate in the world today is why you don't see any smokeless loading data for brass shells.
    Oh yeh, a long string and hiding behind a tree is a good idea also.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Does anyone know the loading for these? Shell, Shotgun, Brass, 12 Gauge, No. 00 Buckshot, M19

I have one in my collection that I got from a high school buddy almost 50 years ago. We blew up a few overripe watermelons, and he gave me one to keep. They were loaded with smokeless powder, not black.

https://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com...hells-m19.html
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025859352/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OIP.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	321732

Boolit Master

I used to load brass shot shells all the time. I used light to mid power smokeless lower pressure loads. I NEVER used black powder. Never had any problems. I sealed the overshot card with a little bit of water thinned Elmer's glue spread thinly on the edges of the card with a brush. I shot hundreds, if not thousands of them and never had a case failure of any kind. My 98 Winchester pump loved those shells. And they rang like little bells when they hit the concrete on the sheet range!

Boolit Master
    There is so much bad information floating around about Magtech brass hulls it's unbelievable.

If you do a little reading of authoritative sources, you'll find some very interesting things out about these, and similar, hulls.

CBC in Brazil makes them. Magtech imports them. CBC has reloading data for smokeless powder in the CBC version of the Magtech hulls. Unfortunately the reloading data is in Portuguese, and the powders listed are not available in the US. The primers used are not available in the US either.

Remington, Winchester, Alcan, and federal have made brass hulls very similar to Magtech hulls at one time or another. Remington recommended that everyone who purchased a shotgun from them keep a box of brass shells available at one time. Several companies made tong type tools to reload brass hulls in the past.

There's a few tips and tricks to reloading brass hulls. It's cheap and easy. And safe. Just don't be stupid.

Magtech brass is almost all I shoot now. It lasts seemingly forever. 12 ga, 16 ga, and 20 ga. The 16 ga shoots best with brass hulls and smokeless or black powder loads. Homemade birdshot (about#5), buckshot (#1), and roundball (1 oz).

Everyone has to do what they believe is best though. Just do your own research and make up your own mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by offshore44 View Post
    There is so much bad information floating around about Magtech brass hulls it's unbelievable.

If you do a little reading of authoritative sources, you'll find some very interesting things out about these, and similar, hulls.

CBC in Brazil makes them. Magtech imports them. CBC has reloading data for smokeless powder in the CBC version of the Magtech hulls. Unfortunately the reloading data is in Portuguese, and the powders listed are not available in the US. The primers used are not available in the US either.

Remington, Winchester, Alcan, and federal have made brass hulls very similar to Magtech hulls at one time or another. Remington recommended that everyone who purchased a shotgun from them keep a box of brass shells available at one time. Several companies made tong type tools to reload brass hulls in the past.

There's a few tips and tricks to reloading brass hulls. It's cheap and easy. And safe. Just don't be stupid.

Magtech brass is almost all I shoot now. It lasts seemingly forever. 12 ga, 16 ga, and 20 ga. The 16 ga shoots best with brass hulls and smokeless or black powder loads. Homemade birdshot (about#5), buckshot (#1), and roundball (1 oz).

Everyone has to do what they believe is best though. Just do your own research and make up your own mind.
    Do you have a link.
    Unfortunately the reloading data is in Portuguese
    I read Portuguese, but would have to learn some of the technical terms, willing to learn what one can do with smokeless in brass cases for buckshot loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Do you have a link.

I read Portuguese, but would have to learn some of the technical terms, willing to learn what one can do with smokeless in brass cases for buckshot loads.
    This may be the link: https://cbc.com.br/wp-content/upload...ecarga-cbc.pdf

I will have to read it tonight. To see if shotguns are covered. They seem to also make smokeless powders.

Hmm is it perhaps time for me to pursue my "one of these days" project of cutting down 410 brass shells to be long 45 colt cases to load with #12 shot? Seems like every time I consider it and go to BP site the brass is out of stock and more expensive than last time. Maybe it would be smart to pull the trigger now so the brass can join the other someday project parts on my shelves.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Do you have a link.

Let me dig around and see if I can find it again...

I might also have a PDF of the reloading manual.
    Last edited by offshore44; 01-19-2024 at 06:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    This may be the link: https://cbc.com.br/wp-content/upload...ecarga-cbc.pdf

I will have to read it tonight. To see if shotguns are covered. They seem to also make smokeless powders.
    That's it! And a newer version to boot!

The Presidente hulls are the CBC brass hulls.

Very nice. Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast