MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Anybody solved the 28 gauge slug mould shortage

Boolit Master

Anybody solved the 28 gauge slug mould shortage

Having solved the 20 gauge slug problem to my satisfaction, I now turn now to the 28 gauge for general purpose slug loads.
    I know that the outfit overseas made moulds but that has kind of died down with the mess in Ukraine.
    Have any of the custom makers we normally use addressed a sabot slug mould for the 28 gauge?
    Haven't been able to find one if they have.
    Why a 28 gauge slug mould you ask? Because, like a lot of things us idioticecasters do, I want one.
    Any leads appreciated.

Looking for a Lyman sabot style.

/beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Thanks! Forgot about them. Guess I'm the only ijit interested in a 28 gauge slug./beagle

Boolit Grand Master

As far as I know the only makers of 28 ga. moulds are Svarghunt and AS-molds but both are Russian and not sure what is happening since the Ukraine fiasco. Not sure I would want to be sending money to Russia both because of the war aggression but also are you going to get delivery? Things are not good so getting stuff from Russia may not be easy.

There is also TATV Canada who supply moulds, and they list 28 ga. They are ASM Molds but different mould blocks than AS-Molds use. I believe they are also Russian but not sure of source:

https://tatvcanada.com/?product_cat=...product-page=2

Reloaders Network shows ASM Molds but I don't see them on the site, just Svarog.

Brooks makes custom moulds and made 12 ga. and 10 ga. slug moulds for turbo1889. You might try them to see if they'd make a 28 ga. mould.

Then there is Acurrate Molds but if you want HB he won't make the pin, just the mould so the HB pin has to be outsourced. I have drawings for the 28 ga. Lyman design in wad slug and bore diameter I can post. I believe trubo1889 posted the drawings originally. Accurate should be able to make a close equivalent to the Lyman sabot slug though maybe not that tight a waist. He could certainly make a Foster style or Buckbuster style to fit into a wad.

Just thinking out loud here for options.

Good Luck!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Hey, that's a start if I can get drawings and dimensions it would help. Please post. Interested in a HP Lyman sabot style.
    Looks like the only sources are OCONUS and right now, just don't want to tie up money in the Ukraine/Russian area of the world and dealing with Canada is frustrating as well.
    Then, I'd rather buy American too.
    /beagle

Boolit Grand Master

email with attachments sent!

I'll post here as well in case others are interested:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1889.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	313618

Name:	1890.jpg 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	313619

Name:	1891.jpg 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	313620

Wad slugs

Name:	1892.jpg 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	313621

Name:	1893.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	313622

Name:	1894.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	313623

Full bore

Originally posted by turbo1889.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 28ga molds but neither look like what your asking for. I have a screw type mold and also a Blondaeu type slug. Both are very accurate. I've taken deer with the screw slug inside 30yds. stone dead. I have a pic of it. The Blondaeu slug is close to 7/8oz. For me is not as accurate as the screw slug (which is 3/4oz) but could be tuned to be very accurate with choke tubes and barrel length etc... Pic is of 3/4oz screw slug.

Name:	screwslugcomponents3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	319999
    Last edited by bullet225ho; 11-16-2023 at 01:54 AM.

Accurate can't make exactly what you're looking for? He's done 416 Rigby and 450 N. E. to my specifications. I would think he could, unless .550 diameter is larger than his equipment is capable of cutting. Might be worth a call.

Just looked, he definitely can do fat boolits.
    Last edited by 15meter; 11-16-2023 at 09:15 AM.