RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: tin/pewter

Boolit Master

tin/pewter

I have what is most likely a lifetime supply of lead, mostly smelted into reasonably clean ingots. Also have several hundred more pounds in a thick folded up sheet 3/16s thick. Problem is I had terrible luck casting pure lead and have he mostly successful with the 20to1 mix I you guys taught me about on this site. The problem i am having is while I have accumulated this much lead I have only found about 4 pounds of pewter. Can you guys help me find tin/pewter or something to make another alloy that will work as well as the 20to1 mix I like so much.

Banner Sponsor

Try a radiator repair shop. I think they use 60/40 solder. When they clean out their test tanks, they usually scrape all the solder blobs into a bucket. I have found it fairly cheap before.

Boolit Grand Master

At a 20:1 ratio, the non tin components of pewter will make up less than 0.4% of the total alloy. Negligible.

The 4 pounds of pewter you have will make 84 pounds of 20:1. Plenty to keep you casting until someone on the Swapping and Selling posts some for sale.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    At a 20:1 ratio, the non tin components of pewter will make up less than 0.4% of the total alloy. Negligible.

The 4 pounds of pewter you have will make 84 pounds of 20:1. Plenty to keep you casting until someone on the Swapping and Selling posts some for sale.
    I just post “WTB pewter” there and have multiple responses in hours.

Boolit Master
    I have not had great luck using anything pewter, other than food/drink ware, to ad tin. The last batch of alloy I made up using pewter figurines only produced about half the amount of tin in the analysis that I would have expected from the standard 90% tin/5-10% antimony pewter that is standard for food ware. Antimony was higher than expected and no significant amount of copper or silver was apparent.

Boolit Buddy

My wife loves to hit the thrift and Goodwill stores. I got her to look for pewter for me and it turns out to be very cheap and easy to find.