WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Chili Relleno Casserole

Vendor Sponsor

Chili Relleno Casserole

buckwheatpaul posted chili relleno soup, that sounded really good, but it gave me the idea to do a casserole so here it is! I googled for the recipe, but tweaked it a bit as I went and it turned out awesome, definitely on the "hey let's make that one again!" list. Hint: The Queso Rayado cheese REALLY makes the flavors pop! It's salty and crazy delicious stuff! I got it because I didn't know if I had enough Monterrey Jack, the recipe called for 2 cups but that wasn't enough so I mixed in the Queso Rayado and to be honest, it stole the show!

Chili Relleno Casserole - Ingredients

• 6-8 large poblano peppers
    • 3 cups freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    • 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1/2 of a 14oz bag Queso Rayado granulated Mexican cheese
    • 5 large (or 4 jumbo) eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • sour cream, Queso Fresco (Mexican crumbling cheese) and fresh chopped cilantro garnish for serving.

Instructions:

• Preheat the oven's broiler and set the rack at about 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place peppers on the baking sheet and roast for about 10-15 minutes, using tongs to turn them occasionally, roasting until the skins are blackened and charred.

• Transfer the roasted peppers to a plastic bag for about 10 minutes, allowing them to steam as they cool. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, cut off the stems, open them up and remove the seeds.

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3-quart baking dish with PAM

• Lay half of the roasted chiles in the baking dish in a single layer. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the jack cheese, half of the Queso Rayado and 1/2 cup of the cheddar on top. Repeat for the second layer.

• In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper, until thoroughly combined and no lumps of flour remain. Pour mixture evenly over the cheese and chiles.

• Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until puffed up in the center and eggs are set and golden around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230423_184526.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	313316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230423_184756.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	313317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230423_185918.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	313318
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-23-2023 at 09:39 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I am gaining weight just reading yours and buckwheatpaul recipes. I am going to HAVE to try both!!

Boolit Master
    My wife thought this casserole would be good over corn tortillas.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    My wife thought this casserole would be good over corn tortillas.
    That it would. It bakes all puffed up like a quiche, then condenses to look like a fritatta. You could line the bottom of the baking pan with big tortilla chips, and build the recipe right on top. Might have to moisten the chips so they don't suck all the moisture out of the rest of it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    That it would. It bakes all puffed up like a quiche, then condenses to look like a fritatta. You could line the bottom of the baking pan with big tortilla chips, and build the recipe right on top. Might have to moisten the chips so they don't suck all the moisture out of the rest of it.
    That casserole version is so "right up my alley", it's not even funny. Where the heck did you get the Queso Rayado? I've never seen it before and not even sure what it is - Canned or Jared?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    buckwheatpaul posted chili relleno soup, that sounded really good, but it gave me the idea to do a casserole so here it is! I googled for the recipe, but tweaked it a bit as I went and it turned out awesome, definitely on the "hey let's make that one again!" list. Hint: The Queso Rayado cheese REALLY makes the flavors pop! It's salty and crazy delicious stuff! I got it because I didn't know if I had enough Monterrey Jack, the recipe called for 2 cups but that wasn't enough so I mixed in the Queso Rayado and to be honest, it stole the show!

Chili Relleno Casserole - Ingredients

• 6-8 large poblano peppers
    • 3 cups freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    • 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1/2 of a 14oz bag Queso Rayado granulated Mexican cheese
    • 5 large (or 4 jumbo) eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • sour cream, Queso Fresco (Mexican crumbling cheese) and fresh chopped cilantro garnish for serving.

Instructions:

• Preheat the oven's broiler and set the rack at about 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place peppers on the baking sheet and roast for about 10-15 minutes, using tongs to turn them occasionally, roasting until the skins are blackened and charred.

• Transfer the roasted peppers to a plastic bag for about 10 minutes, allowing them to steam as they cool. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, cut off the stems, open them up and remove the seeds.

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3-quart baking dish with PAM

• Lay half of the roasted chiles in the baking dish in a single layer. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the jack cheese, half of the Queso Rayado and 1/2 cup of the cheddar on top. Repeat for the second layer.

• In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper, until thoroughly combined and no lumps of flour remain. Pour mixture evenly over the cheese and chiles.

• Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until puffed up in the center and eggs are set and golden around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230423_184526.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	313316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230423_184756.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	313317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230423_185918.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	313318
    Doug, That sounds really good and I plan on trying this weekend....thank you so much for this recipe!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    That casserole version is so "right up my alley", it's not even funny. Where the heck did you get the Queso Rayado? I've never seen it before and not even sure what it is - Canned or Jared?
    It comes shredded in a bag. You have to find a Hispanic grocery, preferably a Mexican grocery.

Boolit Master

I could only find 5 peppers, but here is mine cooked on the grill in cast iron.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggs.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	313663

Oh gosh there's sometimes I miss the land of my birth.
    Chile rellenos sounds great.