Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1Cent Charges.

Boolit Man

1Cent Charges.

People laugh at me when I say that I don't want to waste a primer on sighting shots. Well, its true, I Just finished this pound of powder and got 3500 charges from it! Took over a year to do it. I load the .32s&w long for my Marlin 92 for lever action rifle silhouette pistol cartridge. The load is two grains of Titegroup, 98gr hard cast Rimrock RNFP,and whatever primers I can fit in the case. It takes about 10 charges to equal the cost of one primer!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

An interesting post, but you're losing me. Do you mean that you don't use shots to sight in? Anyway, you are obviously a thrifty shooter, with 3500 charges from one pound of powder!

DG

Boolit Master
    It might be time to look into loading primers as well .

Boolit Master
    May I suggest a sling shot. Rocks are free. Reusable ammo.

Unless I misunderstood. Are you looking for a cheaper way to shoot? Perhaps a 22lr. I have been grabbing 525 round packs for 20 bucks. Thats cheaper than any primer on the market.

I too use Titegroup. Love it. Its not to kind to PC but works well as long as you dont store bullets to long.

Do a search, There is a guy who made his own 32 cal or 28 I cannot remember. It was battery powered spark and took one grain of powder. He sat around plinking all day. Was a nice video. Oh cost him like 38 thousand to try and produce the gun but didnt make it. Good luck.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Man
    Wasn't trying to reinvent anything, just posted to show how powder economical my pistol cartridge lever action silhouette rifle load is. I am completely satisfied with this load and its performance in this application. I have not tested how different primers affect it. I use a plethora of different types, small pistol, small rifle, and both magnums,as well as match, and cci ones from the 70's.

Boolit Buddy
    It wasn't that long ago when 1 cent charges got you 3.6 grains of Titegroup!

Uh... how many pennies would that be if cast in zinc?
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    And I thought I was conserving powder with the 32-20 and 38 Special! Yeah, when you get down to 2 grain powder charges you are close enough to free and powder will last forever. The lowest charge I've ever dropped was somewhere a bit under 5 grains the best I can recall. In the 460 Weatherby on the other hand, I've gone up to 122 grains. That burns up a pound of powder in only 57 shots so you have to buy it in 8 lbs cans or you are always running out.

Boolit Master
    I have a store that still sells Titegroup for 27.99 a pound. With tax that is $30.23 here. That is .0043185 cents a grain. So two grains is .008637 of a cent. Still under once cent. Only powder I feel is worth the money still these days.

Boolit Grand Master
    Saving money on powder when primers are $85+/k.

Makes perfect sense.

Anyway, you start with, "People laugh at me when I say that I don't want to waste a primer on sighting shots." And then show how much you save on powder.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I love tightgroup. Very economical.

Since its virtually impossible to save money on primers..might as well save somewhere.

That’s great!! Sounds like you’re living the reloaders dream of how economically we can shoot.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Not sure why some are having trouble understanding the OP. The way I read it he was merely commenting that the cost of the Primer is his primary expense in shooting this rifle. I doubt he is really reluctant to shoot at all because he said he shot up the pound of Tightgroup in a bit over a year and that represents 3,500 shots.

Boolit Master
    I got some surplus powder last year that loads "equivalent" to TightGroup at $214 for 10 lbs delivered to my door. I'm using it in 45 ACP for a lot of cheap shooting. I have a 32 ACP but have never tried loading for it. With a bullet trap to reuse the lead it would be practically free. Especially until I've used up all my $20/1000 primers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use nothing but pistol/shotgun powders with large pistol primers in .45-70. No point in using 50 grains of pricey rifle powder per shot for just fun shooting or deer at woods range. 12.8 grains Unique/292 Lyman is my current fave but I'm going to try Titegroup when my Unique runs out.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Not sure why some are having trouble understanding the OP. The way I read it he was merely commenting that the cost of the Primer is his primary expense in shooting this rifle. I doubt he is really reluctant to shoot at all because he said he shot up the pound of Tightgroup in a bit over a year and that represents 3,500 shots.
    Yeah that, I was wondering if the pound was ever going to run out, and thinking 'I have to be shooting this thing more than most people' I am building another old Marlin 92 to take advantage of this load too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I agree for many of my handgun calibers I'm sitting at about 4 cents for powder and a cast projectile and then 10 cents for a primer if you look at new prices

Boolit Master

I cast my own for .25 auto. Powder charge is 1.4 gr of Unique. I get the lead for free. If it wasn't for the cost of the primer, I would be shooting for less than a penny per round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I cast my own for .25 auto. Powder charge is 1.4 gr of Unique. I get the lead for free. If it wasn't for the cost of the primer, I would be shooting for less than a penny per round.
    Some guys are reloading their own primers on here. Have you looked into that? Might not be worth it or who knows.

Boolit Master

I can't help but wonder, in a post apocalyptic world, would that load take out a zombie? at what range?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast