RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1Cent Charges.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I got some surplus powder last year that loads "equivalent" to TightGroup at $214 for 10 lbs delivered to my door. I'm using it in 45 ACP for a lot of cheap shooting. I have a 32 ACP but have never tried loading for it. With a bullet trap to reuse the lead it would be practically free. Especially until I've used up all my $20/1000 primers.
    What powder are you talking about here? My first foray into the surplus powder world is BR-5. I'm having good luck with it. I load with TiteGroup also. You got my interest with this one.
    Last edited by fastdadio; 05-03-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I like reloading this way too. And as someone else pointed out, there is a thread on here about reloading primers. You can do that for a tenth of a cent per primer, or maybe even less.
    Of course some people will say "what's your time worth," blah blah blah. I guess a Type A who sees everything but the bang as drudgery should just go work at the office so they can buy more ammo, but it's all part of my hobby.
    Besides all that, the next time primers and rimfire ammo are both unobtanium I'll probably still be shooting centerfire revolvers.

Boolit Buddy
    Not long ago I loaded a large batch of .38 special and 357 cast boolit plinking loads. The 2 cartons of primers still had the $13.95 price sticker on them as did the 8 lb jug of powder, $117.00. Powder charges for those loads were just under $.02 each and they averaged 9 grains between the 38/357. WW used to make the boolits cost very little. All in cheaper than bulk 22's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    What powder are you talking about here? My first foray into the surplus powder world is BR-5. I'm having good luck with it. I load with TiteGroup also. You got my interest with this one.
    Also interested..i use plenty of tightgroup.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm really glad that I seen this thread tonight. I've been bummin' since my last trip to the lgs. Varget was stickered at $59.99 lb. I passed on it and was going to work up a load with 4198 as I have a couple of lbs. of that in the cupboard. I also have a couple lbs. of Titegroup! 50 grs. of Varget, 40+ grs. of 4198 or 10.5 grs. of Titegroup.....? A new load work up is about to commence. By the way, I'm loading for my Henry 45-70 with 405gr. boolits. I use Titegroup for 9mm, 40 s&w and .45acp but I have lots and lots of loaded rnds. stored away for them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'm really glad that I seen this thread tonight. I've been bummin' since my last trip to the lgs. Varget was stickered at $59.99 lb. I passed on it and was going to work up a load with 4198 as I have a couple of lbs. of that in the cupboard. I also have a couple lbs. of Titegroup! 50 grs. of Varget, 40+ grs. of 4198 or 10.5 grs. of Titegroup.....? A new load work up is about to commence. By the way, I'm loading for my Henry 45-70 with 405gr. boolits. I use Titegroup for 9mm, 40 s&w and .45acp but I have lots and lots of loaded rnds. stored away for them.
    Keep us posted how it works out.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMP 154 Powder.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	313669
    It is called SMP-154 and the label on the container says it "loads similar to Accurate #2 and Hodgdon Titegroup". Of course "similar" does not mean interchangeable so I was cautious in developing a load. I'm using it in 45ACP only so far and with the Lee 452-128-1R bullet. Most manuals suggest about 5.0 grains of Titegroup for a similar bullet. I use the RCBS Little Dandy powder dropper to charge pistol cases and the closest rotor drops 4.7 grains of the SMP-154. There are zero signs of high pressure and after loading up a magazine full to test for function - with 100% success - I loaded up 100 rounds. They fed flawlessly in both my 1927 Argentina Colt clones so now I'm loading up a bunch. With Titegroup coming back at fairly good prices this may not be the deal it was when I got it. One difference though is that the SMP-154 comes with two 5 lb jugs in a case rather than the 8lb can you typically associate it with when buying the Hodgdon version.

Boolit Buddy
    Seeker, look up levergun performance studies (GMDR.com) they have a lot of 45-70 plinking loads with pistol powders. I use Unique, 2400 and 5744 for most of my 45-70 loading. If I feel the need for T-rex loads, 4198, RL7 or other similar burn rate works very well. The last batch of 5744 I purchased was almost $60.00 per pound with hazmat and shipping. Did not like the price but like the powder as it produces the best accuracy and lowest ES and SD for my long range loads. Even at $60 per pound still much cheaper than buying factory 45-70 which are $2.50 and up per round.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMP 154 Powder.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	313669
    It is called SMP-154 and the label on the container says it "loads similar to Accurate #2 and Hodgdon Titegroup". Of course "similar" does not mean interchangeable so I was cautious in developing a load. I'm using it in 45ACP only so far and with the Lee 452-128-1R bullet. Most manuals suggest about 5.0 grains of Titegroup for a similar bullet. I use the RCBS Little Dandy powder dropper to charge pistol cases and the closest rotor drops 4.7 grains of the SMP-154. There are zero signs of high pressure and after loading up a magazine full to test for function - with 100% success - I loaded up 100 rounds. They fed flawlessly in both my 1927 Argentina Colt clones so now I'm loading up a bunch. With Titegroup coming back at fairly good prices this may not be the deal it was when I got it. One difference though is that the SMP-154 comes with two 5 lb jugs in a case rather than the 8lb can you typically associate it with when buying the Hodgdon version.
    Thanks, I'm going to poke around and see what I can find out about it.
    Edit to add;
    I found 10lb. lots for sale on Gun Broker. I found a thread on the Ruger forum and the chap did some load testing with a crono, and said it's not just like, but IS, accurate#2.
    So there ya go. Thread jack complete.....
    Last edited by fastdadio; 05-04-2023 at 04:10 PM.
    Deplorable infidel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12