RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coating first attempt.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Have you used LLA much? It needs to be thin coats. Two or three coats. Cured for several days. Should just barely see the color change from the lube. Even then you might see leading depending on gun, bullet and load.

I always had trouble with LLA above 1100fps. That is one of the reasons I went to powder coating. Before that I pan lubed and lived with the mess.

Now I also have a lubesizer. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I PC. Depends on the bullet, the gun and the vel.
    I am very new to LLA. Its possible I used too little but it smelled like a crayola factory when I was shooting so I probably used enough. I just did a batch this AM. P Coated and then sized to .3595 and another batch sized to .3595 and traditional lube from my old Lyman 45. I will use two different loadings of Unique for these; the coated bullets will get 6.3 grains that match an awesome load I have for HiTek 158 grain RNFP from ACME. Very accurate and hopefully so with my coating. The naked bullets get 4.3 grains as this will put the pressure at the hardness of these bullets. I'll make harder bullets in the future and can heat treat them also but for now I'll go forward with the above plans. Ill post targets when I get them and hopefully chrono data if its not raining.

First I removed the outer shell. I wired in a Pid $27.00 wired the convection fan up to the on off switch (fan runs continuously when switched on) I drilled the temp probe in from the top. Reinstalled outer shell. 45 cal 230gr will cure about 500 at a time. its now very old but still works great. Here are somesome pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC Convection Oven.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	314420 convection fan runs continuously. Wired to switch not heating element

Name:	PC Oven Front.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	314421 The PID

Name:	PC Oven Thermometer.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	314423 Temp probe

Name:	PC Oven Thermometer Zoom.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	314422 Temp probe Zoom

LA much? It needs to be thin coats. Two or three coats. Cured for several days.
    ....I always had trouble with LLA above 1100fps.
    Counterveiling view.
    One very thin coat.
    Oven-dried 2 hrs at 225
    Shoot next day.
    No issues up to 2,400fps
    (You've seen this before: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4472544

That said, I'm a PC convert save for bore riders -- where ALOX is still king.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12