Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .45acp powder for big ball of flame.

Boolit Man

.45acp powder for big ball of flame.

Hi guys, I have a dumb question for you all. Here goes: I have a friend who has a 1911, and he would like a few cartridges that will throw a big, dramatic, ball of flame when fired. Not high velocity or high recoil, just a big ball of flame for laughs. I have 230 grain lead round nose projectiles, and I'm looking for some advice on what powder to use for this silliness, while still being safe. So, something that I could find published data for. Hodgdon's online data says I can go up to 8.2 grains of HS-6, would HS-6 be a slow enough powder to get what I'm looking for? I use quite a lot of HS-6 in .357 Magnum with 8.5 grains under a 158 grain LSWC Boolit, and it doesn't seem to throw much fire, although it's still just enough to let you know you're shooting a Magnum. I absolutely love it. Any thoughts?

Scotty
    Last edited by scottyp99; 04-22-2023 at 10:24 PM.

Try power pistol if you can get data for it.

It makes a thunderous boom and a huge fireball and is certainly accurate and powerful in 9mm, 38 special and 357 magnum.

Chamber a primed but empty case in it, then load it from the muzzle with about 40grs black powder and a paper wad. That outta do it.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    296 will usually make a big fireball but I don’t know if there are any published loads for 45 acp.

I load my 1911 with 3f black powder sometimes. It is accurate, cycles well, and generates a lot of smoke and fire. And 1911 is easy to clean up afterward since the fouling all stays in the barrel.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on the BP.

Will cycle an M1A1 Thompson and leave a large enough smoke cloud to cover your escape!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Oh man, I really miss Winchester 630. What an actual flame thrower that was. In my 1911 it would create a muzzle flash that you could see from the Moon. You could use it to signal to a battleship that was over the horizon. Are you at a gun range and the Noobie beside you is giving you a brass shower with their AR? You could just light off some 230 grain hardball with 630 and before you were through half the magazine he would have moved. Need to start a campfire in the rain? No problem: 630 is your friend. Need to suck all the air out of a Taliban cave, you don't need a thermobaric bomb, you've got 630! Worried that the muzzle flash might upset your night vision: no problem, light off a round after dark and all the bad guys would be blind. Yes, I miss 630.

Boolit Master
    ANYTHING slower-burning than Unique (it, too, will work), without flame retardants. Power Pistol is probably a superb choice, and I would expect Herco or Blue Dot to put on a good show.
    Filling a case with 3f gunpowder and no projectile sounds like it might work, though I might use 0.5 gr. of something fast burning like Bullseye or RedDot under it, to be sure it fully ignites. Or would that be counter-productive?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Hs-6 might get what you want, i loaded some into 230gr 45+p terrirory but it comes with recoil too. But the boom is awesome, but no noticable fireball. Havent tried any at dusk.

I can confirm, a case stuffed full of 3f black will run your buddies 1911, and will having you grinning from ear-to-ear, if you ever feed it through a submachine gun. I use Power Pistol extensively, and can' say that I can't say that I've seen any spectacular fireballs. But then I've always noticed such things less, when actually firing a gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I load my 1911 with 3f black powder sometimes. It is accurate, cycles well, and generates a lot of smoke and fire. And 1911 is easy to clean up afterward since the fouling all stays in the barrel.
    How many black powder rounds do you shoot in the 1911 in a session?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a crazy thought (keep that in mind when you read this). How about a duplex load of some bullseye first, then a v-e-r-y slow rifle powder on top of it. Seat the boolit with enough total powder to compress and be held in place. Or some COW as a filler.

The bullseye shoves everything out the barrel and that slow burning rifle powder creates a fireball. Using something like reloder 22 or a magnum round powder can't add much to the chamber pressure. But it sure would put on a show as it exited the barrel...

45_Colt

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    I have a crazy thought (keep that in mind when you read this). How about a duplex load of some bullseye first, then a v-e-r-y slow rifle powder on top of it. Seat the boolit with enough total powder to compress and be held in place. Or some COW as a filler.

The bullseye shoves everything out the barrel and that slow burning rifle powder creates a fireball. Using something like reloder 22 or a magnum round powder can't add much to the chamber pressure. But it sure would put on a show as it exited the barrel...

45_Colt
    I acutally tried that with 44 Magnum, utilizing 1 grain of Red Dot and 25 grains of WC-860 (50 BMG powder). The result is an unbelievably accurate load both rifles and revolvers, with no recoil, but sadly, no fireball either.

Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    How many black powder rounds do you shoot in the 1911 in a session?
    I don't know, at least 75 or so. I used to shoot IDPA with it sometimes. Never had it gum up and stop working.

Boolit Master
    Power Pistol for the win. It's a very 'flashy' powder, and widely used in .45 ACP.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.