Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enfield No4 Mark2

Boolit Master

Enfield No4 Mark2

Just picked up a Enfield No4 Mark2 is super shape with all matching numbers. Gonna start gathering the stuff to reload for it. What commercial brass do most enfield shooters like.i understand its best to neck size only after
    in initial firing.I plan to shoot jwords.Also whats the preferred powder and bullet ? Thanks for any insight
    Last edited by barnabus; 04-22-2023 at 09:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use ppu and S&B in mine with imr4064 as my go to for 150gr jacketed bullets in my #4 mk2 Parker and Hale sporter, that was the only brass I could get at the time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Greek surplus brass, I think it's head stamped XHP is high quality. I use mostly IMR 4895, Hornady 174 gr. RN bullets are very accurate.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    When I got my Enfield PPU brass was readily available. I have had nothing but good luck out of it. Shooting cast loads and jacketed loads. Mainly cast. Only jacket loads I have tried is Speer 150gr soft points sized .311 and they do pretty good in my rifle I believe with imr3031. I would have to check my records. But 98% of my Enfield shooting is done with Lee 150gr cast bullet thrown at .314, lubed with Lee liquid alox, gas check and 12 grains of universal. It will whip a plate at 200 and 300 yards no problem.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Greek surplus brass, I think it's head stamped XHP is high quality. I use mostly IMR 4895, Hornady 174 gr. RN bullets are very accurate.

DG
    Yep goof old Greek HXP, my buddy has a bunch of factory loaded 303 hxp he won't part with, has the brass too. I have experience with the 30-06 in my m1, and it's great reloadable brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Sierra 174gr .311 Matchking. IMR 4064 Mostly Rem and Win brass

Boolit Master
    Great rifle, I have PPU, Greek, Rem and Win brass. PPU is probably the easiest to find and works just fine. Nobody will let you have their Greek brass.

Mine does well with any 150 grain bullet with maybe a slight edge for Sierra. My favorite powders are 4064 and RL-15 but anything in that range should work well. I get the best accuracy and case life by staying several grains away from the top loads. As far as I can tell the deer don't know the difference.

The Lee collet neck sizer works the brass less than any other die. You need all the help you can get for case life, chambers are usually on the large side. Maybe anneal the necks after a few shots.

Yesterday I was in one of the gun shops that I check out regularly, he tries to keep the older stuff. He had a nice #4 Mk2 with the bayonet that was in nice shape. I think he had $1100 on it. I bought mine at a gun show unfired for $140 in 1994, everyone thought I was nuts for paying that for a #4. It shot really well so I had it D&Ted for a scope, one of the best buys I have ever made.

Hope you enjoy that rifle.
    Dave

Boolit Master

Any brass will work. Neck sizing is usually best especially if the chamber is oversized. 180 gr Cast and jacketed work well. I have also had really good success with the 150gr Sierra Jacketed. IMR4350 is a good powder
    Shot my first deer with the 150 gr way back in the day.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    What kind of scope mount have you got on it? I tried an S&K (?) mount a few years ago on my No4, but the metal seemed a bit soft and it would not hold a good zero.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    The picture I posted up above is a bad ace tactical mount. Solid as can be and no drill or tapping required so you can put it back.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I think this one's an S&K....it's been awhile. It worked out for me, and I've still got the rifle salted away somewhere. And, no, I did not take a beautiful as-issued military rifle and chop it up; I just finished the job someone else had started. !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005316.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	313299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005315.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	313300

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed that my Mk2 has a much tighter chamber than my Mk1s. Should make for better brass life.

The ppu brass has worked well for me. S&B has a reputation for being thin and having an out-of-spec rim, causing rim jams, but they could well have remedied this by now.

I like Reloader15 . I have been using Hornady's .312" 174gr bthp that they made for grafs. Sadly, this bullet has been discontinued. I'll have to find a replacement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I've noticed that my Mk2 has a much tighter chamber than my Mk1s. Should make for better brass life.

The ppu brass has worked well for me. S&B has a reputation for being thin and having an out-of-spec rim, causing rim jams, but they could well have remedied this by now.

I like Reloader15 . I have been using Hornady's .312" 174gr bthp that they made for grafs. Sadly, this bullet has been discontinued. I'll have to find a replacement.
    i cant find any main mfg bullets in 174 grain range in stock anywhere

Boolit Master

barnabus,
    you are correct the 174 grain is not likely to be found. The best source has always been surplus ammunition, which has all but dried up.
    you might have a two groove barrel (rifling). I have a two-groove and I get good results with the 150 gr sierra. A couple of months back I posted a 5/8" 3-shot group at 100 yds with that 150-J

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    barnabus,
    you are correct the 174 grain is not likely to be found. The best source has always been surplus ammunition, which has all but dried up.
    you might have a two groove barrel (rifling). I have a two-groove and I get good results with the 150 gr sierra. A couple of months back I posted a 5/8" 3-shot group at 100 yds with that 150-J
    what size bullet are you shooting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I think this one's an S&K....it's been awhile. It worked out for me, and I've still got the rifle salted away somewhere. And, no, I did not take a beautiful as-issued military rifle and chop it up; I just finished the job someone else had started. !!

Name:	IM005316.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	313299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005315.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	313300

DG
    I too got one that had been Bubbaed with the stock cut down with a hand saw; he'd thrown away the upper hand guard and the front sight protector. This is mine with the S&K mount still on it. It seemed to me that either S&K had used bad steel or had not heat treated it enough. I later took the S&K off and restored the rear sight.

Name:	L-12 001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	313322
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

barnabus you asked about bullet sizes

bullet sizes....
    J's ...0.311
    Cast...0.314

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    i cant find any main mfg bullets in 174 grain range in stock anywhere
    Graf and sons has 174gr ppu in stock, 20 for 50, also has 182 and 190 gr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I too got one that had been Bubbaed with the stock cut down with a hand saw; he'd thrown away the upper hand guard and the front sight protector. This is mine with the S&K mount still on it. It seemed to me that either S&K had used bad steel or had not heat treated it enough. I later took the S&K off and restored the rear sight.

Name:	L-12 001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	313322
    You said that is an SK mount? I've debated getting a scope for my no4 sporter.

Boolit Master
    What was the original bullet weight for the Enfield?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast