RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: co2 drop of oil

Boolit Man

co2 drop of oil

just got a co2 pistol & instructions say to put a drop of oil on the tip of the co2, can any type oil be used?

I'd use Pneumatic Air Tool oil. It was made for air tool orings. Should work just fine for your air pistol.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

pell gun oil, but i have been told on air gun forums that it is just regular sae 10w non detergent motor oil -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Man
    thanks, air tool oil is close to pure

Boolit Master
    You want something that will not diesel, ie ignite, at 800psi.

Airtools operate down around 150psi, no idea if those lubes are safe at higher pressure.

PCP airguns operate above 1,500psi, so any oil designed for them should be safe.

No idea at what pressure mineral oil will diesel.

Boolit Buddy
    You could probably use just about anything. Even petroleum jelly.

In the absence of air (O2) dieseling will not be an issue.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Let me dispel some common myths about O-rings and oils. Rubber gaskets will deteriorate when exposed to petroleum based oils. Most gaskets are made from synthetic EPDM materials created for different applications by being formulated for those applications. Use some caution when exposing gasket material to just any type of oil.

Boolit Man
    got some rws air gun lube on the way, just thought there was a cheaper option

I have and liberally use RC shock oil. Its silicone oil and cheap

And nothing else, except some lube a big air guy sells that I started with.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by reloader4410 View Post
    got some rws air gun lube on the way, just thought there was a cheaper option
    Smart move...... I was going to post a suggestion to purchase this product, which is what I use in all my CO2 arms -- and I'm happy to see you have some headed your way! geo

Boolit Master
    I got this kit when I got one of my Crossman CO2 Pellet guns. It had a little tube of Pelgun oil some .22 cal felt wads and a CO2 cylinder that I think had oil in with the CO2 but I am not sure as I used it and disposed of it. I still have many of the felt wads and the tube of Pelgun oil. Since you only use one tiny drop with each CO2 cylinder and a drop on a wad. The little tube lasts a long time. I am sure there are other oils but I can see why I would be looking for an alternative.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I got this kit when I got one of my Crossman CO2 Pellet guns. It had a little tube of Pelgun oil some .22 cal felt wads and a CO2 cylinder that I think had oil in with the CO2 but I am not sure as I used it and disposed of it. I still have many of the felt wads and the tube of Pelgun oil. Since you only use one tiny drop with each CO2 cylinder and a drop on a wad. The little tube lasts a long time. I am sure there are other oils but I can see why I would be looking for an alternative.

Tim
    I very well may be quite wrong on this, but two (old timers) sages at club strongly profess that some oils in contact with rubber is a big "no-no"! They suggested that with "new" C02 arms this is kind of moot, as pretty much all their seals and O-rings are synthetic material. However -- in "my" day -- e.g., I started with (and still have) a Smith & Wesson 78G CO2 pistol -- using the "wrong" oil would do lots and lots of damage. Now -- I'm not smart enough to know what is an OK or maybe-not oil -- even after reading Tom Gaylord's (Pyramid Air) treatise on the subject -- but I have been assured the RWS stuff is safe for ALL. ...and, applying one drop to the tip of each CO2 cartridge? I can't imagine anyone using up an entire bottle of the stuff in a lifetime or two .
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    You want something that will not diesel, ie ignite, at 800psi.

Airtools operate down around 150psi, no idea if those lubes are safe at higher pressure.

PCP airguns operate above 1,500psi, so any oil designed for them should be safe.

No idea at what pressure mineral oil will diesel.
    NO PCP gun can Diesel !. Period.!!!

The Air is already compressed, when released it drops in temp. It doesn't compress behind the pellet. The highest pressure that will ever be seen is in the reservoir. It is all down hill from there. Just like the pellet is going the fastest it will ever go at teh Muzzle it only slows down as it travels down Range.

A Spring powered gun physically compresses the air behind the pellet. The Temp of the Air increases, hence Dieseling can occur if the Air temp exceeds the flash point of the oil.

That's all there is to it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Randy is correct.