Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: MP402-180 TC BB Nose Too Long?

MP402-180 TC BB Nose Too Long?

I just received this mold:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/402.../?currency=EUR

Based the (non-dimensioned) reference drawing the nose eyeballed a little long to me. The description doesn't say anything about a specific OAL or intended cartridge. Being the adventurous type I said "meh" and clicked -add to cart-

Seems my suspicion was correct. Loaded to max OAL in the .40S&W it barely fits in a magazine, and in 10mm (my real purpose for getting it) the ogive is below the case mouth at max OAL.

Anyone know the back story on this one?

A) Was it perhaps intended for loading .40 long in a 1911 platform where you have the extra mag length?

B) Intended to load 10mm with .40 brass and pseudo-headspace on the bullet? Doesn't really seem to do this well as the loaded round slides in the throat without a firm stop, sized at .401" anyway. Maybe going a bit bigger would help but then you run the risk of scraping off the coating.

C) Just meant to squeak by in the .40 for some ill begotten attempt at a LFN longer range load?

D) Long loaded in a revolver? But also without a crimp groove.

E) Another cartridge entirely that I'm missing? This design pre-dates the brand new (at the time of this writing) 400 Legend so it would be something old.

Please ignore the wrinkled bullets. I'm well capable of making them pretty. This was just a quick run on a brand new mold to test my hunch on OAL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230421_220956.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	313218
    .40S&W

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230421_221020.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	313219
    Top: 10mm case max OAL
    Bottom: .40S&W case loaded at 10mm max OAL

Since I already have it I'll make some more and just shoot them. May work fine even if they look odd...

Boolit Buddy
    There was a group buy for the MP 401-165 TC that closed back in 2019. That was for a 165 gr bullet with lube groove. The solid (no HP) ones with no lube groove were supposed to drop at 176 gr. I'm wondering if your mold is a slightly lengthend version of the group buy bullet.

Here is a drawing of the solid version from the group buy. You can also find this in the Archive section of the Group Buy area as the "MP Molds - 165 gr 40 Caliber...".

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'm familiar with that one- I was actually on the GB list and dropped out at the last minute. Seems I shoulda stuck to my guns. I cast up and coated a few good ones and will load up and report back in a few weeks. Should work in .40 but I'm not too optimistic for 10mm

Edit to add- interesting the drawing calls out a meplat to case mouth on that one.