WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot

Boolit Master

"The load" is a good place to start. Depending on what boolit you are using don't be shy about testing +/- on the 13 grains. It is a fun powder to play with in all kinds of cartridges.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    Been reloading for over fifty years. Purchased my first pound of Red Dot, maybe two years ago. Bullseye and Unique were what I used in the past, in place of. However, I use more 2400 than any other powder.

Winelover

Not gettin mine!!

Boolit Buddy

You are right about Red Dot !!! I am down to 15 lbs usually keep a good stock on hand. Use it mostly for 45 ACP Tommy gun loads and 12 ga shotgun shells. Hey what am I missing? What is "LGS" ???? Have pulled down some 303 British blanks for the reloadable brass. Must have two gallon jugs full. Works in pistol reloads! 38 Special likes it with a 158gr cast boolit. Have about 11,000 rds of 308 blanks. The blank powder in em is a fast burning fine grain propellant. Maybe can experiment with it for pistol powder!

Boolit Master
    "LGS" = local gun store.

Thus far on this 6 year journey I have yet to find a cartridge that Red Dot can not be made to work for.

My Yugo SKS I turn the gas off and turn it into a straight pull bolt. As such it works.

That one was perhaps the hardest.

I love it in my .444marlin and .44mag, and .45colt loads.

.357 single shot rifle it is incredibly accurate with only 4.6 grains of powder.
    .444marlin I have been from 13 grains, down to 10, and continued down to 6.5 gr which is essentially a moderate .44mag load in .444 brass.
    This one with 200 or 220 grain cast you can shoot all afternoon.

I use it in most of my pistol loads as well. Surprised me how well the old dirty Thirty took to a light charge of Red Dot and a 100 gr cast for plinking or rabbit/grouse work.

Quiet, They don't send that supersonic crack 3 miles across the valley. Shoots to the sights at 25 yards, sights are set for 185 gr full house loads at 100.

I'm pretty sure if Red Green was still around he'd call it almost as handy as duct tape.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I love Red Dot in pistols, can't say I've used it in rifles. Pistols it can be a little tricky in the small cases. It always fills the case up on 9mm and 380 very well. But it's also a little of a fluffy powder, that gets tamped down enough to fill the case but not compress the charges.

My favorite load for this is actually my go-to in 9mm 115gr J-Word RN. I use 4.3gr of Red Dot with literally any primer at 1.100 crimping with a Factory Crimp Die. This is a stout load recoil wise. Recoil on this is noticeably stouter than any of the store bought ammo I have fired in recent history - not that I've shot much, but I did shoot some S&B 115gr ball a while back... It's more accurate than I am, shooting well in my 9mm pistols and SBRs.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    I use 4.0 gr with a coated 115gr rn lead bullets. About 1100 fps in the 9mm.

Banned
    I believe the newer Red Dot is a tad faster. No one will change my mine that Unique is the most universal powder.

Boolit Bub
    When your Red Dot reloads need to go in their Red dot box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20230713_193202.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	315940

This old keg is finally empty. Kinda brings a tear to my eye. I went to the gunshow awhile back with my buddy who gave it to me. His dad had used about a quarter of it for shotgun shells, I used the rest for pistol. My bud however was raving about the 30-06 plinkers I had loaded for him with the stuff. I don't even remember doing it, or how much powder I used. jd

Attachment 315941
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Red Dot is a wonderful powder. I've used it from 9mm to 12 gauge and believe it would be the best all around powder if you could only have one powder.

My 375 H&H plinker load is 15 grains of red dot behind a wad to hold the powder at the bottom of the case but I have always wondered if the wadding is necessary.

Does anyone here have experience loading Red Dot in 375 H&H without a wad or filler?
    Last edited by groovy mike; 07-29-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    This old keg is finally empty. Kinda brings a tear to my eye. I went to the gunshow awhile back with my buddy who gave it to me. His dad had used about a quarter of it for shotgun shells, I used the rest for pistol. My bud however was raving about the 30-06 plinkers I had loaded for him with the stuff. I don't even remember doing it, or how much powder I used. jd

Attachment 315941
    I think I might keep that one on the bench even if it was empty.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    You are right about Red Dot !!! I am down to 15 lbs usually keep a good stock on hand. Use it mostly for 45 ACP Tommy gun loads and 12 ga shotgun shells. Hey what am I missing? What is "LGS" ???? Have pulled down some 303 British blanks for the reloadable brass. Must have two gallon jugs full. Works in pistol reloads! 38 Special likes it with a 158gr cast boolit. Have about 11,000 rds of 308 blanks. The blank powder in em is a fast burning fine grain propellant. Maybe can experiment with it for pistol powder!
    I'd skip that experiment myself.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Promo is REd Dot in disguise. Little cheaper and a little denser. In stock at Powder Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post

Attachment 315941
    I have one of those.
    It's good to hear it is showing up again, I haven't seen any here in a few years.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    Promo is REd Dot in disguise. Little cheaper and a little denser. In stock at Powder Valley.
    I didn't know this.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Quote Originally Posted by pereira View Post
    i have one of those.
    it's good to hear it is showing up again, i haven't seen any here in a few years.

rp
    $8.50 wow!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Not gettin mine!!
    Already got yours several times..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35E61E7C-0D87-4A84-9E19-5ABCDDD9D66F.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	316711
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    I didn't know this.

RP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast