RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Caliber conversion of S&W Victory model.

Question Caliber conversion of S&W Victory model.

I have this Victory in .38 S&W that has been in the family for over 50 years, that was the first time I saw it. My father had it after my grandmother died, he committed suicide with it. I would like to change the caliber to break the connection in my mind to the suicide.

The next size up is the .41 Colt, but that would leave the cylinder walls uncomfortable thin.
    The next size down is the .38 Special, might be able to find a cylinder and barrel that are already parkerized. Or sleeve the chamber and line the barrel.
    The next common size is the 32 S&W and its offspring. Unlikely to find barrel and cylinder that are parkerized so, sleeve the cylinder and replace the extractor, and line the barrel. 32-20 has been fitted to this frame size before, but its power is equaled by some of the 32 S&W's children and they give me more choices of what to shoot.

Anything that I have missed or comments?

best way, but controversial by some

jmho based on actual experience - i have one that was converted to .38 special by Cogswell + Harrison in the 50's by rechambering - despite what all the naysayers state the cartridge dimensional difference is very slight - if chambering is done carefully with minimum special specs there is no problem with standard loads - i have been shooting mine for over 3 decades with no problems at all - if your barrel is at upper end of upper tolerance hollow base wadcutters are more accurate - case diameter for .38 S&W which is o.007 larger than .38 special - bore diameter is only .002 / .003 larger than the special - the ones that have problems with bulged + split cases were caused by sloppy oversized chambering - also for many years when you ordered .38 S&W dies from Lee Precision the sizing die supplied was marked .38 spec. -

added bonus is you can still shoot the .38 S&W ctg .

-original Lee guide bullet diameter specs from early 60's -
    .38 S&W - .357 - .360
    .38 spec - .357 - 359
    9mm .355 -357
    .38 acp/super .355 -358

from old american rifleman article
    [ If a .38 Special will drop into the chambers of a Victory Model made for the .38/200 (.38 S&W) it is because the importer had the chambers reamed, quite common at the time those guns were sold on the surplus market. Much of that work was done in England by Cogswell & Harrison, which Interarms owned at the time (1950's). Barrels were cut off, ramp front sights added, Parkerized guns were polished and blued, etc. The conversion to .38 Special was common since it was a lot easier to get than .38 S&W, plus many police departments and security services required officers to use .38 Special.

Case splitting has been reported, but all I have ever seen is slight bulging of the brass, and I consider the conversion safe. Inaccuracy has also been reported, but I found the converted guns to have normal accuracy.

FWIW, modern .38 S&W is loaded with lead bullets measuring .356", actually SMALLER than the standard .38 Special bullet of .357". The British WWII .38 Mk 2 bullet measures .357". An S&W .38/200 Victory Model and a British No.2 revolver both slug to .357", not the .360" supposedly required for .38 S&W. ]
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 04-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    You’re far more likely to find a .32-20 cylinder and barrel than a .32 S&W, .32 Magnum, or .327 Federal barrel and cylinder for that old Victory Model. Not that you’re going to run across many in .32-20, really.

The .327 develops far more pressure than I’d be comfortable with in the Victory Model, too.

Sleeving the barrel and cylinder would cost as much as a good used revolver around here.

If I was going to alter the gun you inherited I’d probably search for a .38 Spl cylinder (by far the most common chambering) of appropriate vintage, parkerize it, and have it fitted to your gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I’d have the cylinder sleeved and chambered to 32 s&w long or 32 H&R mag. Then either find a nice hand ejector/pre-10 32/20 barrel or have yours lined.

This has been on my to-do list for quite a while…
    To me that would be the ideal package, K-frame in 32 H&R, but I’m into all things 32…
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master
    I have two Victory Models.
    On one that wasn't in the best condition,
    I bought a S&W .38 special cylinder and fitted it to the frame.
    The bore on the Victory is just a little larger diameter than the .38 special model barrels.
    But the revolver shoots .38 specials very good.
    I can also drop the original cylinder back I the frame and shoot .30/200 or .38 S&W cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    A friends dad has a victory model that he fitted a 38 spl cylinder to. It shoots .358 lead ok but not great, but he shoots Speer & Hornady HBWC trough it with excellent accuracy.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

I mean no offense here -- but I don't see how or why changing the particular cartridge in this gun would "break the connection" with your fathers suicide. It will still be the same gun.

Would it be possible for you to accept the tragedy of your fathers suicide, and realize that the means used don't really make a difference.

I have five grandkids whose father hung himself. It has crossed my mind that they will necessarily be exposed to the "hanging scenario" over and over with movies, and TV shows, as well as real life situations. That has in fact been the case, and they have taken it in stride, and it doesn't seem to be "a thing".

I repeat that I mean no offense, and hope that you can accept this fine old revolver just the way it is. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

My wife posted on Facebook

A rock in a bad man's hand killed Abel
    A rock in a good man's hand killed Goliath
    It's not about the rock

It's not about the gun your father used, it's about your father's behavior and choices.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

True it will be the same gun, but even a simple(?) thing like a caliber will make it a different gun to my mind.

Sounds like the best solution to me, plus I am set up to reload .38 Special. Now to check the price of a chamber reamer.

Have you tried dropping a 38 special round into the chamber? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I have an I frame Smith in 32 long, and a couple of top breaks in 32 short.

Quote Originally Posted by backwoods_bob View Post
    Sounds like the best solution to me, plus I am set up to reload .38 Special. Now to check the price of a chamber reamer.

jmho - with the price of quality precision reamers, i would get a quote for having a professional do the job, might be easier + cheaper -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master
    backwoods_bob,

First, let me extend condolences in the loss of your father. I lost both of my elderly parents to natural causes and that was traumatic enough. I still have a lot of their stuff around, so different situations bring different reactions. That being said, if after consideration you still want to make a caliber change in the family’s old Victory Model, the easiest, most satisfactory change would be to try and find a replacement 38 Special cylinder and have it fitted. I notice my friend @Outpost75 is offering you that option. It might even be a straight drop in switch. At most it may require a little fitting by a gunsmith. As others have indicated, the barrel could probably be left as is.

If you want to completely change the caliber, I would suggest purchasing a 22 LR cylinder (“K-22”) and having it rebored to 32 S&W Long, while having the barrel refined to .313”. Since you already have experience with this caliber you will find it a revelation to how great it works in the Victory frame size. I’ve built two, a K-32 and a stainless K-327 FM. The combination of a K frame size and the 32 is a good one. If you decide to follow this line, please respond here and drop me a PM and I’ll give you more detailed descriptions of my experiences. As others have mentioned, the magnum versions (especially the 327) are probably too hot for that eighty year old frame.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I mean no offense here -- but I don't see how or why changing the particular cartridge in this gun would "break the connection" with your fathers suicide. It will still be the same gun.

Would it be possible for you to accept the tragedy of your fathers suicide, and realize that the means used don't really make a difference.

I have five grandkids whose father hung himself. It has crossed my mind that they will necessarily be exposed to the "hanging scenario" over and over with movies, and TV shows, as well as real life situations. That has in fact been the case, and they have taken it in stride, and it doesn't seem to be "a thing".

I repeat that I mean no offense, and hope that you can accept this fine old revolver just the way it is. jd
    Good advice here. It isn't the revolver, it was the act. The revolver could just as well be used in an act of self-defense tomorrow and be highly regarded for having done good. Why change something that is becoming less common and more valuable every year as it is?

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	313549

My condolences on the loss of your father, but I can understand his action, even while I don't condone it. The loss of my brother to suicide brought home the reality of depression and the sense of hopelessness it engenders.

This is my converted 38 S&W Victory model. At the time I converted it, the 38 S&W was far from common and expensive when found, while I was rolling in 38 brass, and casting several boolits for use in my 38/357's. I went on ebay and found an old, 2 inch, M&P barrel and a S&W Combat Masterpiece cylinder and over a week end put it all together. I would look for an older, half-moon-sighted, 38 Spl. barrel and a pre-model 10 cylinder, though a newer one might work just fine. The only problems I have is that I was never able to find an old-style, left hand thread, 2 inch extractor rod so it continues to lumber along with the amputated 4 inch rod. The barrel-cylinder gap is <.003, so I get velocity from it that is greater than my old, worn 4 inch, Model 10-5.

For a while, it was my home defense gun, my thought being that my gun would disappear into a police evidence locker if it was ever used and I'd either never see it again, or at least, it would be years before the mangled remains were returned. If I used one of my good revolvers, I'd be out several hundred dollars, while this gun represents a little time and about 170 bucks and has no sentimental value.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.