Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Easy way to slug pistol caliber barrels...

Easy way to slug pistol caliber barrels...

So, I came up with an interesting way to slug the barrels of my pistols.
    Next time you cast, bring a couple FIRED/CLEANED cases out for the caliber you are going to slug. This kind of only works for pistol caliber or straight wall cartridges.

Once your pot is hot, heat up the cases in the pot until lead doesn't stick and then fill it. Once it cools down, use a bullet puller to get the slug out. Then when you want to slug the barrel, lube that slug with some oil and pound it from the end of the barrel through to the chamber. Easy. And you can make a couple in various calibers next time you cast for the next couple guns you buy...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

If I'm reading right, this sounds like a really poor way of doing it. Have you actually tried this? The way you have it described it doesn't even seem possible. If you heat the case up like that the lead is going to stick to it like solder.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    If I'm reading right, this sounds like a really poor way of doing it. Have you actually tried this? The way you have it described it doesn't even seem possible. If you heat the case up like that the lead is going to stick to it like solder.
    I have used this exact method for years with a small difference. I don't preheat the case and I don't worry about how clean the case is.
    Never had a slug stick in the case. The tapered end of the slug gives easy alignment with the bore of the barrel.
    Read about this technique on this site many years ago.
    I have only used this with handgun cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Does your lead stick to your BRASS molds when you stick it in the melt to heat it up?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

Many years ago I learned how to make my "slugging slugs" here. No need for extra precautions, just pour some of your alloy into a case of appropriate caliber. When cool use an impact bullet puller to remove the slug from the case. Case IDs are tapered and this makes a good slug for barrel slugging...

A while back I made some slugs using a pretty soft alloy and stored them for future use...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Does your lead stick to your BRASS molds when you stick it in the melt to heat it up?
    Yes, that's one of the reasons I don't like them.

I too use a method similar. I hold some soft lead over a case and use a torch to melt lead straight into the case.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

lead egg sinkers are so easy.

What I do and it seems easier to me is to just melt some pure lead in a ladle type spoon and pour it into a boolit mold.
    No sense in complicating it.
    Best thing is it works for pistols AND rifles

Boolit Master
    I've always used balls. I have lots of balls for various calibers.

If my ball is undersized I just hit it with a claw hammer then measure. When it's just a little larger than the bore it's good to go.

Do you guys not have balls?

Boolit Master
    I use lead round balls too. If they are oversize it never seems a problem, the excess just shaves off. I have 50, 45, 38, 32, 30 and 22 cal round balls on the shelf. I am sure filling a case with lead works or just cast a bullet with pure lead or soft lead. Not sure why the op said pistol caliber. Seems like it would work just as well for rifles. I guess he says pistol caliber because most of them are straight walled. You could use a straight walled pistol case for making the slug for bottlenecked rifle or pistol round. I would not recommend using a 38-40 case to make a slug for a 38-40 but you could use a 40 S&W or a 10mm. I am not really understanding how the op's idea is easier. Easier than what?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I do it very similar to Half Dog. I take split shot that I cast from pure lead & put it into a case. Hit it with either acetylene or propane. Might drop another piece of shot in as it melts.

Moderator Emeritus

I do the same as tazman. I didn't have any sinkers so I grabbed a fired case and used soft lead. If it sticks, I just peel the brass off. No need to make it complicated. Shot with a hammer will squash it a bit making it wider. Easy peazy.
    Ron

One time I did by simply grabbing a case off my bench and melting lead with a torch into the case, a primed case. This happened ONCE.