Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Load data for Alliant 410 powder

Load data for Alliant 410 powder

I inherited 1.5 pounds of Alliant 410 powder. Is it useable in cast rifle and pistol loads. Does anyone have loading data for this powder.

Thanks
    Doug Bowser
    Shooter of anything that has a trigger and shoots lead
    NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
    NRA Instructor in pistol, rifle shotgun and Personal Protection
    NRA-USAS National Coach Development Staff
    NRA-USAS Level 2 International Pistol Coach
    President Mississippi NRA Association

Moderator Emeritus

From talking to an Alliant technician:

Alliant 410 - He said it has not been marketed as a magnum handgun powder because pressures climb as temperatures drop. He hinted that Lil'gun behaved that way too but that Hodgdon had chosen to release handgun data for it. He said starting loads for 2400 should be safe with 410 but to watch pressures carefully as maximums were approached and temps drop.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

I have fired 10 gr. behind the 314-120 RF in 32 H&R @ 1150 fps (6.5"Single six)

Boolit Master

I've wondered about Alliant Steel for large pistol cases (.44 Mag and hot .45 Colts) but I think the problem is the flakes are too big and you'd have to weigh every cartridge. :barf:

Boolit Buddy
    bringing this one back to life. Anyone have any further experience?

damron g
    used 15.0 with 200g bullets in the 30-06.didn't chronograph,but it shot as well as 2400 and had the same point of impact at 100 yards.

From talking to an Alliant technician:

Alliant 410 - He said it has not been marketed as a magnum handgun powder because pressures climb as temperatures drop. He hinted that Lil'gun behaved that way too but that Hodgdon had chosen to release handgun data for it. He said starting loads for 2400 should be safe with 410 but to watch pressures carefully as maximums were approached and temps drop.
    I find it strange that Alliant expresses a problem and then recommends how to proceed with using it! I wonder how much 'disclaimer' is in the response?

There are over 1200 views of this thread.... So interest or at least curiosity must be there.

Does anyone have any further information on the details of cold weather problems encountered with Alliant 410? Are .410 shotshell loads safe if shot in the bitter cold... as winters are for some of us? I for one, would like to know if it is the actual chemical composition of Alliant 410 or ignition problems that may cause a 'double pressure spike' in the time pressure curve? (I believe these 'double spikes' are in the makeup of a Secondary Explosive Effect (SEE) reaction. But like SEE itself, I have no proof.

A clean burning powder in the burning range of 2400 would be a great addition to cast boolits if we knew it could be done safely......

Eutectic

Moderator Emeritus

I suspect it is that ignition is increasingly unreliable as it gets colder but didnt press for details at the time so cannot be sure. I haven't played with it since this discussion as I listed it under "Why bother when the same can be had from 2400 and we know how it behaves."
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    "Why bother when the same can be had from 2400 and we know how it behaves."
    Because it's the same price as 2400 (at least for now) and listed between 4227 and 4198 in burning speed. What I'd like to know is under what conditions the pressure spikes were noticed. Was it because the plastic 410 wads became hard from the cold? Has anyone tried it in the Hornet starting with 2400 data?

MJ

I just got some input from the web and the burn rate is all over the place... don't know what to think about A410.
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 06-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    I used it in my 454 Casull and in that cartridge it played out very similar velocities as 2400 (maybe 25-30 fps faster IIRC) for nearly the same charge weight. 2400 at 20.1 gains and 410 was at 20.3 grains. Same batch of boolits showed less pressure with 410 during Sept./Oct. I never had the chance to use it in the cold of the winter though. I actually liked it more than 2400 because I could squeak out more velocity before leading would set in but like you I didn't know how it would be in the cold so stuck with 2400.

If I knew how it would act with cold temps concerning my intended use then I may be more inclined to use it since it wouldn't be used for max loads in which I use H110.

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    I used it in my 454 Casull and in that cartridge it played out very similar velocities as 2400 (maybe 25-30 fps faster IIRC) for nearly the same charge weight. 2400 at 20.1 gains and 410 was at 20.3 grains. Same batch of boolits showed less pressure with 410 during Sept./Oct. I never had the chance to use it in the cold of the winter though. I actually liked it more than 2400 because I could squeak out more velocity before leading would set in...
    Sounds good to me... I'm going to try it in the following:

.30-30
    .30-'06
    .358W

MJ

What about using it for good old .410 scatter guns?

Boolit Master
    I sure hope it works as I just bought 8 pounds of it after not being able to get Lil'gun. And about this cold weather problem, we shoot skeet in Boulder Jct, WI Sun/Wed 52 weeks a year. Have shot in -20 already. When a good stiff breeze comes out of the north, one person always says "It's a dry cold".
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.