Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cartridge brass as casting alloy component

Boolit Master

Cartridge brass as casting alloy component

Took a look at the copper zinc phase diagram to see where the 70/30 cu-zn alloy went to liquid phase … 1680 degrees F . Is anybody knowledgeable regarding the combining of 70/30 brass with another element which would reduce the melting temperature to a suitable level to allow casting and also retain the higher density of the brass ( specific gravity of 8.3) ? A ternary alloy is the correct name; I believe, for a three element alloy. Could tin or lead or possibly antimony be added to the molten brass to reduce the melting point of the resulting alloy a significant amount? If the metallurgical engineering majors view this as a question with an intuitively obvious answer I humbly apologize for my ignorance.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Lead will lower the MP,but weaken the alloy .......lead is often added to bearing alloys where high strength isnt needed .....adding zinc will also lower the MP ...you can add zinc until the brass is only 10% copper......I dont doubt all this can be found online,with authoritative data ...rather than relying on fading memory.

Babbit alloys containing copper.

Post #2 looks good. Just got to play till a lower pour temperature is found?

https://www.rotometals.com/babbitt-bearing-alloys/

Lubaloy is made from combining 91% copper, 8.5% zinc, and 0.5% tin. Proportional variances are utilized for application specific demands of each desired material component. The range of compositions can vary from around 81 to 95% copper, 3 to 18% zinc, and 0.5 to 2% tin. A common variation of the Lubaloy alloy type in Lubaloy X 425, with a composition of 88% copper, 10% zinc, and 2% tin.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubaloy_C41100

Looks like a high percent of tin would be needed to lower melt temperature? Lead should also?

Interesting question. Hope an expert replies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230420-073929_Chrome.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-20-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    You are over 90% lead or tin before you begin to hit the temperatures you want. At that point it isn't brass anymore, but a lead or tin alloy with copper and zinc constituents.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/