Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which caliber for target shooting, paper & steel?

I have to agree with Don Verna.

For the price of a thousand primers, powder, lead, and brass you could buy an air rifle that will let you shoot for about 1.25 cents per round.

With a little work you might even be able to shoot indoors. Not a lot of noise, very little smoke, and when your done you turn off the lights and walk away.

When I'm done with a trip to the range there is brass to be cleaned, boolits to cast, cases to size, prime, charge, and load the cast in. Pack it all back into the ammo boxes before your done. Depending on how much you shot it can be a day or several days before your done.

Ohh and 12$ per hundred primers make .22mag ammo look pretty reasonable. And again, no work.

Now granted for the most part it is work I enjoy doing. But I could be doing something else, like fishing too!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

For lever action Silhouette it's the 30-30 , to hear your own bullet hit that ram at 200yds brings a smile .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

I will say my 4 most accurate rifles are .444marlin, .357mag, .44mag, and 45 colt. All H&R Handi Rifle single shots.

I shoot them all downloaded from full house loads with cast boolits and Red Dot. From 4.6 grains in the .357 as high as 13 grains in the .444. But I backed those down to 6.5 grains for comfortable shooting. Both the .44 mag and the .45 colt were stacking them up nicely at 100 yards.

With moderate loads you can save money on powder and lead. 200 and 220 grain work as well as 240 gr cast.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    To each, his own. But I'll be darned if I drive an hour to the range just to shoot a BB gun. If you live out in the boondocks, more power to you. But discharging a projectile in city limits can get you a hefty fine, and I've got neighbors who might not be so understanding.

I reload because I like to, (and for some of my guns by necessity--not many boxes of 9 mm browning long on the LGS shelves.) I cast because I enjoy the sense of communion with days gone by, because it gives me a sense of independence.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iMigraine View Post
    Just curious which rifle caliber for cast lead boolits would you recommend for ringing steel and paper targets? My limited experience/knowledge would guess something in at least .30 caliber. After casting .224 boolits, they are a pain in the **** compared to 30-30 which I have done.

TIA
    30 cal or a 45/70, I use both.

The Easy Button would be a .308 or 30-06 bolt action.
    The 30-30 in a bolt action is wonderful- if you find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

30-30 in my new Ruger marlin 336

I am wrapped up in the nostalgia of by gone days. I hope she shoots good groups.

I’ve done OK with 30-30. Ringing steel out to 200 yds with 16.5 grains imr 4227. sAFE. Kinda far to group on paper. Have good visible adjustable sights. Gets it in the ballpark. Target about 12x18”. Easy to compensate for drop. I thinks it goes about 1600 FPS. Maybe somebody can confirm.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For paper I would choose 6.5 x 55 Swede. However, for metal targets, I’d like something in .45 cal.

260 Rem would be my first pick..... but would recommend a 7-08.

Love loading jacked up 22-250's and slightly less 223's.... and these two do have more choices in twists,along with VERY light lead usage. But they aren't without challenges towards handling and the other "fun" stuff(nose sizing,bumping,etc).

The 6.5 and 7's have a very nice balance for moulds and ease of handling. Wide range of powders and rifles available. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master
    You didn't say how far you plan to shoot but if your current 30/30 is accurate enough for the range you plan to shoot I say go with that. There are any number of molds available from the basic Lee to name brands in a wide weight range and even custom molds, depending on how thick your wallet is. In 30/06 and 30/40 have used the Lee 170FP and 200 RN, RCBS 165 SIL, the NOE copy of the Lyman 311284 and 311291 and the NOE 311-115. All worked well for ringing steel at 100 yards and the 311291 at 200 yards at velocities in the 1600 fps range.

A good modern single shot rifle in 7mm to 358 cal.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I shoot a number of different calibers and enjoy them all but my all time favorite has to be my Browning 1885 Traditional Hunter 38-55. With a 250gr bullet it shoot tight groups and make you smile when shooting steel targets.

wcp

Boolit Master
    I have an H&R Topper in 30-30 that shoots cast nicely. It is very handy I guess that is why later editions were rename as HandiRifles. I have not put a scope on it. It is my iron sight (peep sight) offhand steel bashing gun. It shoots around 2" groups at 100 yards off the bench. In sitting position I almost never miss the steel at 100 yards. Offhand well, that is just harder. Almost none of the shooter at the local range are man enough to stand up and shoot the steel. I don't think many of them could hit once in 10 tries. It is not a bad bench gun. You only sort of have to pick it up to reload but it does disturb your position on the bags. If would cost a bit more if you can find one but I would prefer a rolling block. I have a Swedish rolling block in 12.4 x 44 my loads are not as accurate as the 30-30 and it burns a lot more powder and lead. It is kind of overkill for the task. I picked a 30-30 because I had the reloading stuff already. Doing it again I might go for a rolling block in 32-40 or 38-55 that would be a bit more friendly with black powder if that tweaks your interests. You could even make your own powder and the rolling block can be reloaded without moving it on the bags. Makes shooting off the bench a tiny bit nicer. Bolt action guns are just not as handy. A 308 bolt gun is not a bad choice.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

My 2 favorites or the 30-40 Krag and the 7x57

Boolit Grand Master

30 Cal or 8mm
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I'd pick the rifle you have. I have a 30-40, a 308 and a 30-06. But My local range has a monthly Silhouette shoot and I find my Krag is my go to. A long neck, a slick action. plus a weird gun makes it fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    I'd pick the rifle you have. I have a 30-40, a 308 and a 30-06. But My local range has a monthly Silhouette shoot and I find my Krag is my go to. A long neck, a slick action. plus a weird gun makes it fun.
    Krag, weird ??????
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12