WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Herco powder

Herco powder

I bought a 15lb old red steel keg of old herco a few years ago. I'm on the final pound of it. 90% used in 45 colt with cast bullets. Anybody had much experience with Herco as a handgun powder? It's in old manuals. I'm wondering if any forcing cone erosion issues have ever been reported. I have one barrel that the forcing cone has some erosion. All other 45 Colts have no issue.

Boolit Master

There are some serious Herco overloads in older manuals, especially 357. Using modern load data, it makes a fine mid range magnum powder, slightly slower burn rate than Unique.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I absolutely love Herco in .38 special and .357 magnum. I just wish I could find some my last pound is almost gone. I have never experienced any forcing cone issues using Herco. I normally only load light to mid range loads .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I'm trying to figure out why this one barrel has the issue. It's a custom barrel on a David Clements built ruger blackhawk. I've been using Longshot for mid power level loads since last year when Brian Pearce published his new article in Handloader. That powder has proven incredibly accurate. The problem could be one of the two powders but my other guns do not have the problem, or the barrel blank itself is affected? It's not major damage yet but I would like to slow down the change.

My loads are mostly powder coated cast myself from mix of wheel weights and range scrap. Weights 250 to just over 300grains.
    Herco loads usually 9 or sometimes 10 grains.
    Longshot at 11.2 is my favorite with the same bullets.

Mp 308k swc
    Mp 270 saa swc
    Mp 45 carbine fp

My revolvers are all either ruger nm blackhawk, ruger vaquero, ruger new vaquero, or ruger Nm flattop blackhawk so all can handle the +p mid range loads.

Boolit Man
    I think your Longshot powder is the culprit, not herco.

Boolit Master
    I've used Herco off and on for 25 years (especially when I could not locate more Unique), and I've had nothing but good results from it. I've had no forcing cone nor other erosion issues with it. I find it only slightly less versatile than Unique, and max loads tend to give slightly higher velocities.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    First let me say, you burning 14 plus pounds of Herco, 90% in 45 Colt, I’m jealous! That’s some good times right there!

Second, I’m going to state my strongly held opinion that Herco is not toasting anyone’s forcing cone. It’s too fast to have its peak pressure that far from ignition. By the time the boolit gets to the forcing cone the max temperature and pressure have already occurred. Hence Herco is not a powder to flame cut top straps or erode forcing cones.

Slower ball or flattened ball powders, yes. Those can hit their max temperature and pressure about where the forcing cone comes along in the boolit path. Long Shot is a little fast to have much forcing cone erosion but I could beleive it could happen. Lil’Gun is a real bad one on forcing cones. 296/110 is also a toaster. But for the performance, you gotta pay somewhere.

Also in my opinion, forcing cone erosion is not a problem to shy away from. It’s like if you drive a Corvette you’re going to wear out some tires. If you drive it hard, brake it hard, corner it tight and fast, tires will go away as the fun factor rises. Running big velocities in revolvers likewise comes with some erosion. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. Just expect the wear and replace as needed.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I appreciate the feedback. I agree it's probably the above standard pressure loads. I've enjoyed the herco but guess I will have to go back to my stock of red dot when it's gone.

Boolit Buddy
    Using Herco for 9mm loads and been very pleased with it. Will need older Speer manuals for load data. Until recently, Herco was regularly encountered and a good value because a group of hand loaders only use the top performers or flavor of the day. Herco is like Unique, can be used in a wide range of handgun cartridges and also shotguns.

Two characteristic's in particular are much to my liking: 1) Burns clean , no residue in the barrel 2) Fills a 9mm case about 80% full so no chance of double charging.

Boolit Master

I switched from Unique to Herco about 2005. I had bought Uberti 45 Colt revolver, and wanted a powder that had more bulk to take up more space in the case. Burns really clean in everything I load it in. 9 grains in my Uberti. 9 grains in my model 57 .41 magnum just for fun. 6.5 grains for heavy boolits in my 45 acp. In my Win. 94ae trapper, same load as the Uberti revolver. Great powder. Very versatile.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Like littlejack, I always liked Herco better than Unique just because. Used it 45 Colt and cast boolits in 30-30, 32 Special, 35 Rem. Went to HS-7 because it was cheaper and worked about the same, now its Universal and TiteGroup.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a lot of it. In the 357 and my 44 mag cast loads.
    I also use in in my 30-06 with cast bullets . It a lot like Unique.