Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth while to slug for 9mm plinking out of a 4 inch barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

Worth it to slug? I think so because I slug every firearm, excluding shot guns, that come into my possession. I record the data and include it in my firearms log (make, model, caliber, serial number, date purchased and what I paid for it).I even slugged a 22 LR Contender barrel when I was buying a Paco Kelly’s Acu’Rzr Bullet Tool...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Other solutions are out there, but mine was to use a Lee .38 S&W sizing die.
    Thanks! I just grabbed a Lee 38 S&W sizing die. You just rung a bell with me because while loading 9mm I noticed this as well that even with my fmj I had a slight downsizing when I pulled them apart. Hopefully this will help that.

Boolit Master
    need to be sure that, post PC, the sized bullet will fit the throat. In my experience, 9mm barrels vary quite a lot re: throat acceptance and you may have to resize to get what you want in that area. I pick bullets that are slightly rebated in the throat area.
    Loren

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    need to be sure that, post PC, the sized bullet will fit the throat. In my experience, 9mm barrels vary quite a lot re: throat acceptance and you may have to resize to get what you want in that area. I pick bullets that are slightly rebated in the throat area.
    Loren
    I would think that would just be a "plunk test" with the barrel out of the gun, correct?

Vendor Sponsor

Another thought, if you'd like it...

You mentioned they are clone to an HST. I'm guessing you'll use for home defense.

In order to make that HP work like you'll want it to, you'll need to keep the lead fairly soft (

Here is what satin clear powder coating looks like if anyone was curious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail5.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	313179

I have too many diff pistols to slug barrels so I just go fat & shoot that. So far, my ammo is more accurate than I am out to 50y.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I have too many diff pistols to slug barrels so I just go fat & shoot that. So far, my ammo is more accurate than I am out to 50y.
    Just curious, could you share your bullet sizing?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    . . . go fat & shoot that. . .
    Gentlemen, we may have a slogan here. . .

It works up to a point. At the extreme end, you need to be aware of your case wall thickness (variable between manufacturers and lots), and the ability to keep the mouth of the case close enough to blueprint spec to chamber. Kind of alluded to in my pitch for the Lee .38 S&W die, but things like these need to be watched to ensure starting bullet diameter does not get crushed down below where it should be.
    Last edited by Bigslug; 04-21-2023 at 12:59 PM.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    Loren
    This. This right here. I ran into this with loading FMJ pills. The length my fullsize pistol likes is longer than my PCC and other pistols can shoot. I've determined I load for the PCC and get acceptable results in the rest of them. At least that way I don't have to keep different ammo on hand for every pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Gentlemen, we may have a slogan here. . .
    Works for me with woman as well.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

I've never slugged a pistol barrel, and while I'm not IPSEC champion, they all shoot better than I do. Only real issues occur when you start getting into unusual imported guns with varying bore diameters.

I slugged my Springfield 9mm Range Officer and found that .358 worked for me. Actually, all my other pistols run expect my CZ TS, which now that I think about it probably needs .357 because it occasionally has trouble feeding. Well dang, I'm going to have to play with my CZ TS to check on this one.

Glocks with KKM barrels run and Ruger PC Carbine run .358. Had a CZ 97 in .45 and it had a tight chamber, my guess is that CZ runs tighter than most manufactures.