Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: statins

Boolit Master

Haven't tried any that had no side effects . Currently take half the dose of avortastatin prescribed every other day . Any more my joints hurt when I move and cramps every night(Theroworx really works on them ). Numbers down in 130's so no need to tell the Doc !

Boolit Master

My total numbers have not been to high but the bad cholesterol is 6 times higher then the good so a doctor tried me on Lipitor in 2005 right a way I had trouble nose bleeds , terrible muscle spasms , and my hair got brittle .
    A couple months ago a new doctor put me on Ezempi (sp) and my Cholesterol has gone up quite a bit I have a appointment soon . I also seem to be getting more muscle spasms .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday, I had an extra crappy day after trying a different statin the night before. I had trouble going up the stairs. Then, today, I read a report of a study done by Dr Malone. Here is his summary:

"JAMA Internal Medicine has published our new systematic review and meta-analysis on 21 statin trials involving 143,532 participants.
    Despite the widespread view promoted by public health, our new study found no consistent relationship between lowering LDL-C and death, heart attack or stroke, following statin therapy.
    Doctors are not effectively and transparently communicating cardiovascular risk to their patients, thereby not allowing informed decision-making.
    We concluded that the benefits of statins were minimal, and most of the trial participants who took statins, derived no clinical benefit."

My internist said every medication has side effects, the trick is to find a combination that works for you. It is not one, but all that work together and still works as one. Worse part is at a time down the road you may develop a rejection of a previously established normal med. So the maintenance of your medication regiment is a continual thing.
    If you wonder about such things, a good heart expert is a big plus, my primary physician is an internist with a secondary in cardiology, worth her weight in gold. My cardiologist has a secondary in internal medicine, they are like book ends. My heart surgeon, is the head of cardio vascular surgery at UAB Med Center. It is of major importance to have a selected medical team as we pass 70 or we have complications to our health. You select your doctors, do not wait for them to be assigned at random in an emergency.
    Had 11 heart stints, now have 0 as I traded the stints for a very long chest scar.
    I am on 3 cholesterol meds and have a reading of 78 and my doctors want to see 70. So they keep moving the goal post.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Sometimes, you have to play the odds. In 2003, I had a large, malignant tumor removed from my leg, followed by 35 days of radiation. They also suggested chemo, which, they said, most people would take. I asked how much the chemo would help over just radiation - they said the chemo improves the success rate by 4%. Only 4%? I passed on the chemo. With that, they gave me a 60-40 chance of living five years. I'm still here.
    I walk 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a day without statins, in the woods, up and down hills. While on statins, I maybe do a slow 1/2 hr walk. George my dog is confused by the short walks. Statins are nasty. Now they want me to try injectable Repatha. My insurance covers 0% of it, and they quoted me a price of $660 per month. There are organizations that will help with the cost, maybe all of it, but there seems to be alot of hoops I gotta jump through first - denial letters, Dr letters, income verification. I'll do it but even that drug might have some bad side effects.
    That's why the study by Dr Malone that I noted is interesting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    I have been taking Zocor (simvastatin) for about 10 years with no problems.
    Me too.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Yesterday, I had an extra crappy day after trying a different statin the night before. I had trouble going up the stairs. Then, today, I read a report of a study done by Dr Malone. Here is his summary:

"JAMA Internal Medicine has published our new systematic review and meta-analysis on 21 statin trials involving 143,532 participants.
    Despite the widespread view promoted by public health, our new study found no consistent relationship between lowering LDL-C and death, heart attack or stroke, following statin therapy.
    Doctors are not effectively and transparently communicating cardiovascular risk to their patients, thereby not allowing informed decision-making.
    We concluded that the benefits of statins were minimal, and most of the trial participants who took statins, derived no clinical benefit."
    Y'all can't figure out this **** is poison???

Boolit Master

More side effects that it's worth. I'll NEVER take any Statin drugs.

20 mg of generic Lipitor for probably 20 years. Seems to work and no side effects.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My cardiologist wanted to put me on a statin, but after a lot of research I decided I didn’t want to take them, because of side effects and new studies show that, for those taking them only had a benefit of a few more days of life. Statistically that’s no difference. Perhaps if you have had a heart attack, they may help. Everyone should do their own research and make your own decisions.

Boolit Grand Master

Who is Dr. Malone? Yes, JAMA published his research, well and good but just a name with no affiliations or qualifications is questionable to me.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I've been following Dr Robert Malone for quite some time. I like him, I trust him and I'm listening to what he says. It's somewhat coincidental that his study came out now, when I've been researching the statin subject.

Boolit Master
    Generic simvastatin verks Just Fine for Mr. & Mrs GONRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Lisinopril?

DG
    Lisinopril is a BP Med, not for cholesterol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    20 mg of generic Lipitor for probably 20 years. Seems to work and no side effects.
    17 years for me.

Both of my grandfathers were dead for years by the time they reached my age. Both died of cardiovascular diseases. I take my generic lipitor and potassium tablets as I recently (last year) started having cramps.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Mr. & Mrs. GONRA been takin' SIMVASTATIN for decades.
    Seems to verk, no side effects, etc .....

i saw the title in the recent posts and had to have a look, i recently listened to an interview between Joe rogan and Dr Aseem Malhotra and alot of it was about statins. I definitely think that anyone taking statins should listen to it.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    I tracked down another interview that he did (not with Rogan), and what he said about statins is basically what Dr Robert Malone said that I posted earlier. I'm done with statins, and probably won't try the Repatha if it's approved.
    I never had a heart problem, or ears ringing problem, before I got jabbed.

Boolit Master

I take one 20MG Atorvastatin once a day.
    It brought my cholesterol down from the 250s to 160.
    I have no side effects.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I just spent a few days in the hospital because of a gallstone that didn’t want to pass. I never had problems before. When I researched, I read that one of the side effects of Statins is gallstones. I’m glad I’m not taking Statins.