Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: What happened to the Henry Single Shot Rifles?

Boolit Bub

What happened to the Henry Single Shot Rifles?

Does any know what happened to the Henry Single Shot rifles. I have been looking for one for the last 3+ years and can't find one in 357 Magnum. I talked to the company last year and was told that they "have other projects on the front burner right now" and not sure when [if ever] they will be back in production. I want to get one and have it rechambered to .357 Maximum to use as a companion gun to my Contender. I may have to try and find an Encore barrel in .357 Mag and go that way. I understand those are really scarce too. What's a .357 Max lover to do? Any leads or thoughts?
    Thanks

They might still be working on a back log of orders.
    Last Summer I got in a Golden Boy .22 that had been on order for almost a year.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

There's two on gunbroker right now. A little spendy, but that's a whole rifle for what is often the cost of a custom TC barrel. If you already have an Encore frame, then just buying a 357 maximum custom barrel is an option too.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Bellmtcs.com, they show in stock, pretty pricy compared to what I payed for mine.

That seems crazy to me ? With all of the states that require a strait walled cartridge under 1.8” long the demand is very strong. Even though I have several rifles in 357 max. I would buy a Henry if I could get it reasonably priced. A local LGS near me had a Henry in 350 Legend used but looked un fired for $399 recently and it had some of the prettiest wood I have seen on a Henry and it was sold in about 1 day.
    If I would have got it I would have reamed it to the new 360 Buckhammer.
    Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Pm sent

I saw a Henry single shot 30-30 rifle at the LGS this morning for $500.
    PM for details if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is entirely possible to change a Henry barrel by cutting an unwanted cartridge barrel and stubbing a .358 barrel into the drilled and threaded old chamber area. Same thing done to Contenders and Handi Rifle barrels for years. Easier and cheaper to do a 357 Mag chamber ream, but.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Bub
    I have given up on the Henry and appreciate the thread comments. I have ordered a custom chambered Encore barrel from Mike Bellm in 357 Max. Since I already have an Encore, this makes sense. Costs a little more than a Henry but I am sure the Encore will be much more accurate once Mr. Bellm finishes with it. Sticking with the Max because I already have the brass, dies and a Contender barrel in 357 Max.
    Last edited by Quickdraw4u; 04-24-2023 at 03:40 PM. Reason: More info

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw4u View Post
    I have given up on the Henry and appreciate the thread comments. I have ordered a custom chambered Encore barrel from Mike Bellm in 357 Max. Since I already have an Encore, this makes sense. Costs a little more than a Henry but I am sure the Encore will be much more accurate once Mr. Bellm finishes with it. Sticking with the Max because I already have the brass, dies and a Contender barrel in 357 Max.
    I don't know about that. Encore's are surprisingly accurate, but to really get the most from them you want the forend hanger system. Even then, I think the Henry forend design is superior.

Still, an Encore in 357 maximum will be superbly accurate, way more accurate than you can practically use with such a round. Both guns are as accurate as you can possibly get from a break open design.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have been looking for a Henry single shot 30-30 for quite a while. I posted a similar remark on another forum and an individual stated that there were a half dozen on GB. That's fine, but by the time you pay the shipping, FFL transfer fees, etc. - it makes it pretty pricey compared to what one of the LGS I use used to sell them for OTD when they could get them. I have just decided to wait - if I run across one and it's not and a leg, then I'll get it, but I'm not going to end up paying what amounts to above the MSRP.

I own 3 Henry lever actions and I do love them - and I applaud them for wanting to introduce new products. I'm guessing that the "projects" they referred to were probably the new "Homesteader" semi-auto 9mm carbine and the new revolver they just introduced.

Again, I applaud Henry for wanting to introduce new products and I have no axe to grind with them about anything - but it seems a bit odd to not be able to keep up with the demand for already existing products and then add more products? Maybe they are planning on expanding their production facilities? If not, it doesn't make much sense to offer new products, putting additional demand on production and not being able to keep up on what they know is selling or will sell. I've heard grumblings from others as well who are still waiting on delivery of side-gated lever guns. I am well aware fo the problems that the pandemic caused as well as the problems of getting people who want to work - it's affecting just about every business, let alone supply issues as far as materials, etc. So who knows?

up here I found 2 Henry's in 450BM

kinda pricy, but look nice.

it would be a good rifle in 30-30.

I'm not sure there's any need for a 450BM up here though
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Guns have gone up, still if I want something I will buy it anyway but be asking myself; do I need it? - Not going to let a little shipping and transfer fees keep me from anything besides, the general LGS can no longer buy many of the guns we like and few folks now are trading them in these days...

Sorry to hear of the expansion of product lines without meeting current demand first.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Didn't Remington buy handi rifle ? Now owned by Ruger yet seems like no one wants to make a break open single shot rifle yet many of us WANT to buy one! Hmmmm maybe an opportunity for the company that makes the $100 Walmart shotgun in Turkey.?
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Henry H015-357 rifles are around, not HR cheap though.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/h015-357
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.