Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo meat hunt

Boolit Grand Master

I do think plains tribes used what they referred to as a "buffalo lance".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

One program I watched said an arrow shot into the diaphragm was used. I wonder where the Grand Duke a d his party aimed with their fairly anemic. 44 revolvers.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Since your interested in a "meat hunt" me and several friends went to Michigan. I didn't shoot one but my buddy did, 1200 pounds, nice 4 year old. 2500.00. But I would tell you up front, it isn't hunting, it's shooting at a very large group of Bison in a pasture. He's very pleased with the quality of the meat and told me he will go again. For me, I still want to take one but my chances of shooting one "fair chase" is pretty limited. Since you appear to be in KY, that may be a bit closer for you than Nebraska. If you or anyone else is interested, let me know and I'll provide details for contacting.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Even with the original buffalo hunts it wasn't all that bad to kill one. The trick came when you wanted to kill a bunch of them.
    I use to guide in NM and they had a herd in the area I worked but finally gathered them up because they would sleep on some of the two rut roads and get hit by vehicles. The guides that I knew that had guided a few Buffalo hunts said that even fair chase they weren't hard to hunt, but they could be dangerous just the same.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    For curiosity sake, do the prices you gentlemen are mentioning include the butchering/packaging costs?

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Awhile back, there were buffalo hunts in Maine. Along with all the other game Maine has to offer. If I remember correctly it was way up in Maine far north country. I’m going on memory here but I think the place was called Homestead Ranch??? I’ll check to verify this, but it’s worth a look.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

My Wife and I both stopped eating beef years ago and have been eating Bison for 20 yrs; we generally get 150 pounds of burger through a rancher friend who for the past 3 years has charged us $7.00 a pound cut and wrapped. I have killed a few, 4 in all, using my Shiloh Sharps and 1886 Winchesters but now we just buy the burger. I can tell you from first hand experience, gutting and skinning a Bison will take you a very long time plus lots of knife sharpening along the way. Killing one in the field will get you an all day job before it's in the pickup truck, unless you have several friends along to help you and even then it is work! If buying a hunt I would think this is mostly done for you but I choose to just shoot them in the field and do the work myself with one friend along. We prefer the burger to all else, no added fat of course and it makes great Burgers, Meatloaf, Tacos, Chili and Beans and more.. I do drive 150 miles each way picking it up at the butcher so that adds to the cost.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    For curiosity sake, do the prices you gentlemen are mentioning include the butchering/packaging costs?
    In my particular case, the "outfitter" charged an additional 100.00 to skin and quarter the animal. To further process, i.e. cut/wrap/grind is on you to do.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

If IIRC the locker in Valentine NE charged $200 ea for processing. They skinned out the hide and wrapped and packages and froze the most in two days. That was in 2011. We could pick and chose roast size, steak thickness, hamburger package size.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    In my particular case, the "outfitter" charged an additional 100.00 to skin and quarter the animal. To further process, i.e. cut/wrap/grind is on you to do.
    Cheap at twice the price. Biggest thing I've dealt with was a good size Elk. Although that was easier than the one Bear that I skinned, talk about a greased pig.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Got any sharp rocks?

https://youtu.be/XmsrkFjPiKM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    A friend of mine raises buffalo and offered me this bull for $2500. He figures this bull weighs in at a ton.
    I've been pondering the idea and may take him up on the offer. If I do, I'll go 45-90 BPCR.

Problem is, what do you do with 1000+ pounds of meat, other than hamburger. Being an old bull, I don't think he'd be the best eating.

Attachment 313206
    figure on around a 1000 lbs of meat then look at the cost of burger today and thats a bargain!! add to that ive killed 9 of them and nope its not a hunt but a heck of alot more fun then going to a store. you also end up with burger thats much better then any you buy in any store. we used to make it for burger 3/4s of the year on what bison we turned into buger and after eating it for that long you had to adjust your taste buds to store burger as it about tasted rancid. even my wife will attest to that

The buffalo ranch just down the road from me used to do "hunts". They stopped years ago but still sell meat.
    NO way I could afford $11-12/lb for burger. Thats a rich mans lifestyle

Boolit Master

Here's a picture from the Michigan trip. My buddy, not me. I'm much better looking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	313396
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    The buffalo ranch just down the road from me used to do "hunts". They stopped years ago but still sell meat.
    NO way I could afford $11-12/lb for burger. Thats a rich mans lifestyle
    $2500, 900 pound animal, 40% meat for 360 pounds meat average. That's under $7 a pound. That's comparable, if not cheaper than beef. And that's a healthier free range animal you get.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Here's a picture from the Michigan trip. My buddy, not me. I'm much better looking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	313396
    was it with dave vanalsaker (hog wild) in the up of mich? if so hes a good friend

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    $2500, 900 pound animal, 40% meat for 360 pounds meat average. That's under $7 a pound. That's comparable, if not cheaper than beef. And that's a healthier free range animal you get.
    1/2 beef cut and wrapped from local rancher and local butcher was $900 for 350 lbs delivered and cut to our specifications.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    1/2 beef cut and wrapped from local rancher and local butcher was $900 for 350 lbs delivered and cut to our specifications.
    That's really good. It's more than twice that if you buy it in a store.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd need a bigger sausage stuffer. Bison and pork would probably make a darn good summer sausage.

I did my one and only, "Guided" Bison hunt in Utah. It was like shooting a VW in a Wallmart parking lot.
    I didn't really feel like I was hunting. After the first shot, it just stood there. The guide kept screaming shoot it again don't let it run! I was using an AR15 in .458 SoCom 350 gr. RN Hornadys and they went right on through except the two that hit shoulder bones. At 160 yds, all 4 bullet holes made about a 4" group just behind the shoulder and the thing just stood there, until it fell over. It takes 2 people 4 years to eat 380 lbs of Bison, but it was good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast