Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo meat hunt

Boolit Master

Buffalo meat hunt

Thinking about a Buffalo hunt for meat. Has anyone here done that and have a recommendation for maybe SD or NE? I would like to do it with a Sharps and BP.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Thinking about a Buffalo hunt for meat. Has anyone here done that and have a recommendation for maybe SD or NE? I would like to do it with a Sharps and BP.

Bob
    Are you after wild game, or farm raised? SD has both, but our "wild" bison aren't really all that wild. The only hunted population is entirely in Custer state park, which is pretty big, but it's fenced in with cattle guards on all exits I've seen. They are quite used to cars and people. They are still wild animals though. The draw odds aren't that bad, which is probably because their tag costs are out of this world. Better have deep pockets. I wouldn't mention to a guide (if you use one, it isn't needed) that they are blackpowder, since this state has a stupid requirement of 2200 ftlbs at the muzzle for buffalo. Nobody is going to question you with a sharps 45-70, just don't mention that your freight train "only" makes like 1500-1700 ft lbs. Unless of course you are using a 45-110 or 120 that does it, then by all means, let them know.

I know there are also a number of native farms west river that offer buffalo hunting. There are almost no regulations for these hunts, its really up to the tribe and guide. Nobody would ever question your sharps. Some of these are on some really big ranches, nothing even close to Custer, but still a lot of land. The prices of these are not that bad for a guided hunt, and no lottery for a tag.

I have no opinion on Nebraska. The only true wild buffalo hunting state I'm aware of is Alaska. That's the only place I can think of where they live completely free and aren't gawked at by tourists most of the year. I've heard some good things about Canada too, but I don't even want to imagine the laws and logistics of that.

Boolit Master
    I believe that Utah has a free ranging draw hunt in the Henry Mountains but it's a tough one to draw.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

10 years back there was a big farm outfit near Morristown, Minn that "sold" the opportunity to flatten a Bison. They had the hauler and the cutting house on site.
    Had elk also.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Colorado buffalo ranch. 303-653-1993. Just east of Denver.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy

Hey Megasuper: Thanks for the post. Always wanted to smoke a bison with one of my 1874 Sharps. Will look into it!

Boolit Master
    wow, 2200 ft lbs. wonder what the ft lb measurement of the arrows used by the original Americans that lived off of the tatanka for 1000's of years.

Boolit Buddy

Yes, a meat bison 900# bull. Didn't have a 1000lb cow else would have preferred that. Had about 350# when finished cutting up. Took 2 days to process. Excellent meat. Did not take hide, next time will as the hides are really nice. One shot from my 45-70 then the work began!

Vendor Sponsor

All the bison I have had was great. It, Elk, and Caribou are my favorites.
    None to Hunt on the East Coast
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to buy a lot of raised bison. It was really good.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the reply's. Would like to keep the distance within 2 days of KY since we plan on driving and we still have to get the meat back.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Suggest you figure out where you are going to put a mount, just in case. This reminds me of cutting a Christmas tree out in the woods, just saying.

Neighbor down the street in Midwest City, OK, came back from CO towing a rental trailer full of meat, the purpose of the hunt. However, with a bull Elk head and rack that over hung the trailer, all around. Could not get the mount in the house. It was a good idea at the time.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    wow, 2200 ft lbs. wonder what the ft lb measurement of the arrows used by the original Americans that lived off of the tatanka for 1000's of years.
    The natives would shoot young cows for meat. They were smart enough to leave the old bulls go. I doubt the tales of shooting completely through a buffalo with an arrow. I've examined dozens of original bows, and they weren't powerful enough to do that, in my opinion.
    I can understand when many times only the tongue, liver and marrow bones were taken for food when they were travelling. Definitely the best parts of the critter. I'm also skeptical of those who think the hump is so good. Just a big chunk of gristle to chew on.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

When we hunted out west for elk and deer. I would load a freezer on my tandem trailer along with a couple of 4-wheelers. Had a small diesel generator that ran and kept the freezer. The 3-day trip from Pennsylvania to Idaho kept our meat frozen. As long as the lid on the freezer was secure, the meat would stay frozen. I would love to bang a small bison with my 45=90 Sharps.

Buffalo (American Bison) is surely good eating. Have shot two, and want to do so soon again.

I did my first "hunt" at a game ranch in Nebraska, near Valentine, but that business was bought & sold and doesn't do this any longer. 1150 lb cow. I used a 435gr 50 Cal LBT LFN at 1450 fps from a 6" 500LL. 1 shot. Stagger, stumble, flop. Absolutely astounding effect. The owner of the operation was stunned, and then told me about a guy the week before shooting one 5 or 6 times over 2-3 hours w/ a 454 Casul. I immediately thought about possible placement issues...
    Second time I did a "hunt" was a game ranch in central lower Michigan. 1000 lb bull (young). 310 Woodleigh SP in 35 Whelen Imp at 2230 fps. 1 shot, turn, walk 20 yds, plop. The Linebaugh worked better to be honest though. Point: don't trust the lb ft numbers (should be no news to anyone really).

I also found about 40% yield for meat (boneless butchering) from live weight -- much the same as steers I have bought for meat.

Earlier comment on Henry mountains is/was valid, at least in the past. I think there are options in Canada too, and there are tags for Wyoming in Yellowstone I think (hard to get).

The ranches, if not a little pen, can be similar. Partly a mindset thing. They really aren't afraid of much, so (from what I know) aren't really too spooky in the wild populations either. You can get reasonably close as a result. Actually a fair number of ranches that do this, or used to be. Internet search will find them.
    There is a large ranch in SD that offered these as recently as 1-2 years ago. Think it was several thousand acres.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    Buffalo (American Bison) is surely good eating. Have shot two, and want to do so soon again.

I did my first "hunt" at a game ranch in Nebraska, near Valentine, but that business was bought & sold and doesn't do this any longer. 1150 lb cow. I used a 435gr 50 Cal LBT LFN at 1450 fps from a 6" 500LL. 1 shot. Stagger, stumble, flop. Absolutely astounding effect. The owner of the operation was stunned, and then told me about a guy the week before shooting one 5 or 6 times over 2-3 hours w/ a 454 Casul. I immediately thought about possible placement issues...
    Second time I did a "hunt" was a game ranch in central lower Michigan. 1000 lb bull (young). 310 Woodleigh SP in 35 Whelen Imp at 2230 fps. 1 shot, turn, walk 20 yds, plop. The Linebaugh worked better to be honest though. Point: don't trust the lb ft numbers (should be no news to anyone really).

I also found about 40% yield for meat (boneless butchering) from live weight -- much the same as steers I have bought for meat.

Earlier comment on Henry mountains is/was valid, at least in the past. I think there are options in Canada too, and there are tags for Wyoming in Yellowstone I think (hard to get).

The ranches, if not a little pen, can be similar. Partly a mindset thing. They really aren't afraid of much, so (from what I know) aren't really too spooky in the wild populations either. You can get reasonably close as a result. Actually a fair number of ranches that do this, or used to be. Internet search will find them.
    There is a large ranch in SD that offered these as recently as 1-2 years ago. Think it was several thousand acres.
    There is more than one ranch in western SD of several thousand acres that does this. It's hard to tell exactly as it appears there are multiple guide services in eastern SD who might hunt the same one claiming 7000+ acres. I think most are smaller than that, more in the 1000-2000 acre range. A quick search shows the Cheyenne River reservation offers a "meat" bull or cow for $2500 guided. That's on 23,000 acres. I would personally go that route myself. I didn't realize you could do that for $2500. I might have to consider that. That's just a easy weekend trip for me.

My father & I went back in 2011 to Sandhill's ranch near Stuart NE. Rick Hamilton is the owner. Rick drove them to a locker in Valentine NE for processing. I have no idea how a person would process these without locker equipment. I know a lot of lockers will not process Bison.

I used an Remington XP-100R in 350 Rem Mag and my dad used a Rem 673 in 350 Rem Mag both were loaded with cast 273 gr FN to about 2,250 ish. When we hunted them they were spooky and would take off, if you got too close and surprised them the big bulls would raise their tails and were getting ready to charge.

Boolit Man
    About the comments on arrows, I'd agree that the indians had to have known where to put them and probably had more than one brave slinging arrows at them at one time to get it done back in the early days before gunpowder & lead came... the light archery equipment of that era is probably part of the reason buffalo jumps and herd killing by that means evolved for getting them their meat. I doubt arrows actually accounted for very many.

I know a Guy personally who shoots a bow (today) of 90+lbs who stuck his entire quiver into a bull, wanting to kill one with his bow. Big archery guy. All shots were ribs going for lungs, but ribcages & anatomy's are different on a buffalo than a moose or elk... bow failed miserably. They ended up going for a rifle to kill it in the end. lol Would love to hunt one myself one day with a big bore. Wish the OP luck. Post how it goes!

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

A friend of mine raises buffalo and offered me this bull for $2500. He figures this bull weighs in at a ton.
    I've been pondering the idea and may take him up on the offer. If I do, I'll go 45-90 BPCR.

Problem is, what do you do with 1000+ pounds of meat, other than hamburger. Being an old bull, I don't think he'd be the best eating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buf Bull 3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	313206
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    A friend of mine raises buffalo and offered me this bull for $2500. He figures this bull weighs in at a ton.
    I've been pondering the idea and may take him up on the offer. If I do, I'll go 45-90 BPCR.

Problem is, what do you do with 1000+ pounds of meat, other than hamburger. Being an old bull, I don't think he'd be the best eating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buf Bull 3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	313206
    Being an older semi-domestic animal, he might have a decent fat covering if taken before breeding season. If he does, you can hang the meat for an extended period without it drying out too much. I’m no expert, ask around, but 21-25 days of hanging might just make the meat tender enough to enjoy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast