Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 0-turn mower vs. tractor style mower

Boolit Master
    ive been struggling to mow my grass for at least about 3 years now since my mower died. using tractor and 4' bushing for wide open and a walk behind for getting close to edges. I finally got the 16 year old grasshopper going again, it sat so long the tires would no longer hold air, I replaced the old turf tires with the ones with bar tread. the tire dont slip on hills anymore. it took less than a hour to get about 4 acres mowed, around rocks, trees buildings. these grasshopper mowers are tough as a tank when they run. I hope to never be without the zero turn again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    I asked the members on this forum last year about what type of zero turn mower I should get for my parents place. After a bit of research, I selected a Toro 50 inch deck with the "My-Ride" suspension system. Was home two weeks ago and had it delivered. Drove around the yard to try it out. Looking forward to see how it does with the lawn this summer!
    I got the 54" My Ride. Its like mowing in a recliner! Very nice mow-chine.

Boolit Bub
    Alfaden,
    Good to hear about the "My Ride". Can't wait to go try it out myself!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice to hear you got what will work. My 2 cents is that if you have under an acre or two a zero turn is wasted money. A Ferris, Dixie Chopper or the like for a residential lawn is also silly.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

As long as we're talking zero-turns, what is the lowest priced one that has serviceable transmissions? I have a 42" Toro that will be garbage once the transmissions are shot, which I can tell is approaching. I'd rather have one that I can keep going.

I've pondered on the nonservicable hydros. You can drain and fill them but have to remove them to do so.

I figure even if you have to replace both with new units, you'll be money ahead vs. buying a whole new mower.

Boolit Buddy
    We've owned both and Z-turns are amazing. When we moved to our 2.5 acres back in 2004 part of the deal was that the Toro Timecutter (residential unit) stayed with the property. It lasted us for many years and was quite reliable, but the deck (stamped style) finally gave up the ghost once and for all. We crippled along with other options for 3-4 seasons until a year ago when I decided enough was enough and started shopping for another Z-turn. After considering different brands I decided on another Toro and it just so happened that they were offering 48-month 0% financing. While we didn't quite *need* as much of a machine as I ended up choosing (a Titan Max, Havoc edition) it will hopefully last us 15+ years and it is quite heavy duty, being considered entry-level commercial.
    It saves a TON of mowing time compared to our old mowers and makes the old TimeCutter (as good as it was) seem like a toy.

Husky tractor. I run over everything with it, like a bushhog, and pull my wagon. Can't do that with a zero-turn, I had a John Deere one and tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Dave View Post
    Husky tractor. I run over everything with it, like a bushhog, and pull my wagon. Can't do that with a zero-turn, I had a John Deere one and tried.
    I'm glad you warned me about them John Deere's, I've been pulling this chopper/vac around since 2017 and haven't realized yet...that I can't do it!

You do have one on me though...running a lawn mower as a brush hog. "Why didn't I think of that?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I'm glad you warned me about them John Deere's, I've been pulling this chopper/vac around since 2017 and haven't realized yet...that I can't do it!

You do have one on me though...running a lawn mower as a brush hog. "Why didn't I think of that?"

OS, I'm like you. I learn every day things I CAN'T do yet have managed to for quite a while. We're just lucky I guess.

I will admit, that's pretty good
    Bigger wagon here though...I had to put the tractor kind of tires on the rear so could gain traction on the uphill...the grass tires just don't grab, they just spin....
    That's the same Deere I had. I will say one thing...they sure can move...so you got me on speed

Boolit Master
    jeez guys, i started this thread. i think that 5 pages is enough. PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Dave View Post
    I will admit, that's pretty good
    Bigger wagon here though...I had to put the tractor kind of tires on the rear so could gain traction on the uphill...the grass tires just don't grab, they just spin....
    That's the same Deere I had. I will say one thing...they sure can move...so you got me on speed
    Like You...I had to install ATV tires on the rear of mine too... pulling this vac. on hills it wouldn't put the HP to the ground, it just spun.
    The tires they come with are easy on the grass especially with those who like to hot-rod & race cut the acreage...with the ATV tires you have to be careful in tight turns or the inside wheel will dig. You learn quickly to be sensitive on the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    jeez guys, i started this thread. i think that 5 pages is enough. PLEASE
    Well...it prolly ain't the first time porthos, but you were wrong!

Boolit Master

What's wrong with the rest of us having a civil discussion?

Boolit Master
    GONRA's Xmark (0 turn) verked great for years.....
    Gave it to to SIL when I quit doin' yard verk.....

Boolit Master
    OK, i give up!!

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    OK, i give up!!

Just don't take prisoners. Otherwise, you'll have to feed them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have a double lot in town with a small front yard, a smaller side fenced in yard for the dog, a medium sized side yard, and a large lower yard that is used for parking my trailer.

I currently use a cheap Craftsman push mower to mow everything, and a Murray gas-powered trimmer to clean up. Works fine, but takes hours and I reach my physical limit about half-way through the property. It takes me an entire weekend to do everything. And this time of year, that means every weekend is spent mowing and trimming.

Last weekend, I had to go mow my folk's property since they were still wintering in Arizona and their yard was getting bad. My dad has a Craftsman smaller riding tractor mower and a snapper self-propelled mower. I used both to do their 1-acre parcel.

I had never used a rider before and was enthralled. I got everything done in 3 hours. It was actually fun to ride around on the mower.

My dad said I could get a decent smaller riding mower for $1200.

I went to the Home Depot and Lowes websites and the cheapest tractor mowers were $2000 now. Wow!

My dream of owning a riding mower were dashed, as I only had $1500 saved up. So, I may get a decent self-propelled mower since the Craftsman is 10 years old and upsets me every time I use it due to it clogging up so easy. Or, I could just keep using the old Craftsman and hating life every weekend from now until the first part of July.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post

I always wondered if those could tow stuff. That is a redneck setup if I've ever seen one and I salute you.

Meanwhile im using our $50 Craftsman DLT3000 bought at an estate sale to mow after our $100 Cub Cadet finally stopped after 10yrs.

New tires, belt and battery has it running like a top.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast