Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 0-turn mower vs. tractor style mower

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    just came back from farmers coop. they have Husqvarna and ferris. the cheapest riding mower, a husky tractor $2999. cheapest husky zero turn just over $5000, the top of the line that they had in husky zero turn $13300, nice, very nice, the ferris looks like real well built mower, the 500 model just under $6000, the 800 model, $11100, most all had Kawasaki engines I put that is800 zero turn ferris on my wish list, you know, for when that winning lottery ticket comes in.

Husky today at Lowes when I was there was less than $3500.00. For 3/4 acre property the mower will most likely outlast the user. You do not need a commercial grade machine for this.

Boolit Master
    ENOUGH guys. i am going to buy a tractor style mower. i will tell you a short story: bought a cub cadet at a cub cadet dealer in 2013. at 36 hours the transmission quit. called the dealer. cost was around $1000.00. 36 hours was under warranty but the 5 years had passed. cub cadet, never again!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    ENOUGH guys. i am going to buy a tractor style mower. i will tell you a short story: bought a cub cadet at a cub cadet dealer in 2013. at 36 hours the transmission quit. called the dealer. cost was around $1000.00. 36 hours was under warranty but the 5 years had passed. cub cadet, never again!!
    Last I knew...Cub Cadet is actually an MTD... In Fact, these days...Most mowers are in fact MTD... Not JD of course, except big box store JD's. nor Simplicity, a couple others certainly.. Bush Hog comes to Mind!! Possibly Husqvarna Not MTD..
    BTW... Most claims are that Cub Cadet is one of the best..homeowner type lawn and garden brands... possible you got a Lemon..Or??
    Last edited by racepres; 04-18-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post

Porthos, not trying to sway you one or the other you stated your choice was made which I acknowledged. There are statements being made that are untrue and that bothers me, but at your request I will desist.
    Last edited by Finster101; 04-18-2023 at 09:11 PM.

We have a 2012 JD x720 which was renumbered as the x730 because they offered a bucket kit for it but didn''t put ROPS on all of the x720's sold. So number change and no more bucket kit. We mow 2.5 acres and have a long driveway and lots of concrete parking that needs cleared of in the winter. The X720/X730 with a 62' deck leaves about an 18" circle unmowed when turning tight with effortless power steering. If you have sapplings or small trees you're not going to want to skin the bark off of them so that's about perfect. Most of our trees are bigger in diameter and the few little ones we put the rubber mulch rings around which keep you from having to weed whip anything. 27HP EFI water cooled kawasaki engine has been maintenace free for the past 11 years. Replaced the battery one time and it's about time for another one. I do have a preemptive new set of bearings for the deck spindles and usually replace the guide wheels every couple years along with sharpening the blades 2-3 times a season. The 6 way hydraulic snow blade makes quick work of snow and being in MI we get lots of it. There is a replacement wear bar on ebay for the 54 snow blade that is thicker than the JD part and also made from AR400 steel that is cheaper than the JD part and lasts longer. Cut strips from the old ar400 bar and weld them to the bottoms of the snow blade guide feet for longer lasting guide feet.

Before getting the JD we used a 1985 IHC Cub Cadet 682 with a 50" deck. Neighbor used the 782 which is the same tractor with a hydro cylinder for raising the deck. They leave about a 5' circle when mowing so the x720/x730 is a much better upgrade. The hydrostat on his 1893 782 needed a rebuild and he borrowed our mower. Take a guess what's sitting in his pole barn now?

Boolit Buddy
    Scag, cub, ferris, gravely, toro, snapper pro(ferris in disguise) in walk behinds , ztr and 3 wheels mowers. I've run several and owned several. Ztr sucks on hills, walk behinds rule on hills. Yet to run a surfer style . I don't care what name is on it, I look at transaxles and engine mainly and then features. On the commercial side they use a lot of the same trans and engines across models.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Porthos, not trying to sway you one or the other you stated your choice was made which I acknowledged. There are statements being made that are untrue and that bothers me, but at your request I will decease.
    He did not say he wanted you to die. Perhaps you should just desist.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    He did not say he wanted you to die. Perhaps you should just desist.
    LOL. Duly noted and edited.

Boolit Master

Mowing mom,s 2 acres plus, a 52" ZTR saves about 40 minutes of mowing time, not enough to be a big deal but it is less tiring. Can not see any use in a drink holder, as I do not like having grass clippings and dirt in my drinks. An advantage gained from Covid was the availability of face shields. Wearing a face shield GREATLY reduces the amount of dust blown into my eyes while mowing.

My yard is currently being mowed with a 19" battery powered mower. Last Saturday it took about 25 minutes to mow the front yard. The back takes a little less time, but it is behind a privacy fence so I only mow it every other time.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    YOU DON'T NEED AN ARTICULATING SPINE-SAVING LAWNMOWER...you need a dump truck full of topsoil to level your graveyard.
    Nightcrawlers turn it into a moonscape too... be careful walking across it or twist an ankle!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Nightcrawlers turn it into a moonscape too... be careful walking across it or twist an ankle!
    Our area has tons of moles and voles. Trapped almost two dozen last year and one so far this year in the short time between snows. We treat our lawn for grubs and have ducks that like to eat bugs but the neighbors do nothing. So they come into our yard to look around. You may get them all, but the tunnel will remain active even if flattened and bring new ones into your yard. Lawn roller helps some if you use it after a decent rain.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Our area has tons of moles and voles. Trapped almost two dozen last year and one so far this year in the short time between snows. We treat our lawn for grubs and have ducks that like to eat bugs but the neighbors do nothing. So they come into our yard to look around. You may get them all, but the tunnel will remain active even if flattened and bring new ones into your yard. Lawn roller helps some if you use it after a decent rain.
    To much like work LOL my version of lawn care is I don't care! It is crabgrass and weeds...

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I've been fighting those lil'buggers forever! I've been keeping the mounds of dirt raked down so that a new hole is easy to spot.
    When I do, I hook a hose to the exhaust of the diesel motor of my yard buggy...allow it to idle for about 10 minutes and then cover the hole back.
    I am not sure it works all that well...or...there's a lot more of them down there that I never imagined.
    We don't use poison or traps that snap because of my dogs.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I've been fighting those lil'buggers forever! I've been keeping the mounds of dirt raked down so that a new hole is easy to spot.
    When I do, I hook a hose to the exhaust of the diesel motor of my yard buggy...allow it to idle for about 10 minutes and then cover the hole back.
    I am not sure it works all that well...or...there's a lot more of them down there that I never imagined.
    We don't use poison or traps that snap because of my dogs.

Our yard is pretty sandy, as in it's dirty sand down around 18" where it turns to clean tan colored sand. Our old house had lots of clay and you could just stick a hose in it and flood the entire tunnel system. But here the water only goes a few feet before soaking in. I also use an engine, I'll hook up the B&S engine on the old edger and let it run for a while if we can find a new tunnel. No poisons either because after 20 years of using them one of our dogs suddenly thought that the mole pellets were tasty treats. Dog lived but the look on the touchy feely vet who was wanting to send out for $1500+ of testing on top of the bill for pumping his stomach (nerve poison) when I told her I could get a whole new weiner dog for $500 was priceless. Mostly just put out 4 scissor type traps on major runs they keep wanting to use. Much higher success ratio with the scissor traps over the spike type. Grub poison (need to keep the ducks penned for a while after), milky spore, traps, engines, and the occasional pitchfork if I see a new tunnel popping up.

Boolit Master
    When using the 0 turn....you use both hands...can't hold the beer unless you dig out your old beer helmet for hands free device

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    When using the 0 turn....you use both hands...can't hold the beer unless you dig out your old beer helmet for hands free device
    That's rookie talk, you have to master the art of drinking on the straightaways.

Boolit Master
    About 7 years ago we moved to Tennessee and needed a riding lawn mower to cut our lawn. I cut about 1.5 acres. Ended up with a JD D130 riding mower. I thought it was the greatest mower ever and was glad I ignored all the advice of my neighbors to buy a zero turn. Second year was not as much fun, 3rd even less. By the 4th year I hated cutting the grass. Mower rode rough and cutting around 25 fruit trees was a royal PITA.
    Last month I bought a Bad Boy zero turn with a 54 inch deck. Still learning how to steer it well but this thing is like comparing a Cadillac to a 1 ton truck. Only cut our lawn twice with it but my guess is I decreased my mowing time by 40%. Best part is when I finish my back no longer feels like a herd of cows just walked on it.
    If a person can't tell the difference between a middle of the road riding mower compared to a good zero turn they are only fooling themself.
    Now, is the price difference worth the money? To me it was. Your opinion many vary.
    East Tennessee

Live in FL so a canopy is a great idea, for any grass cutting, without overhanging trees.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Used a Sears riding mower for many years, probably the generic one with lots of labels and colors. Got a John Deere Zero Turn, mowing time reduced to about one third, wider, faster, little difference in ride or 'hill' capability. Well worth the extra cost for more than 5 acres, rifle range to 250 yards, walking paths in rattler season (1/2 mile plus) double pass. Just gets done so much quicker.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Cub and maybe others make a ZT with a steering wheel - friend has one with 60" deck . I wish my Toro was like it, can't drink and drive with both hands occupied !

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast