Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Henry revolvers?

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 4" SP101 in 327 Federal. I had the barrel cut to 3", and sold my fixed sight 3". I still regularly carry it, but it's not perfect. Even a good SP101 trigger is at best a bad GP100 trigger. The Altamont grips are very small, and the grip angle is bizarre. The Pachmayer grips are a little more comfortable, but again the grip angle is horrible, I almost have to full lock my wrist down to shoot them. I had a custom wood set of grips made to my hand and specs, which they did, but there's just not enough room in the SP101 grip stud for one of my fingers behind the trigger guard. It's really uncomfortable to shoot. The grip I've settled on is the Hogue rubber. It's a tiny little grip, but the angle is actually correct, and it's not uncomfortable to shoot at all. It's not a good grip for hunting or ultimate accuracy, but it is pretty good for concealed carry.

My advice is if you want a Ruger in 357 magnum, get either the LCR or a GP100. If they made an LCRX 3" in 327 Federal, I'd sell my SP101 tomorrow. The LCR is simply a better small gun, and despite being even smaller and lighter than the SP101, has a better grip stud design, and better grips offered for it. The GP100 is all around a WAY better shooter for fun or for hunting. I'm really hoping this Henry can be what the SP101 should be.

I like a couple models of the Henry Rifles, but those revolvers are Hideous. I'd rather have a beat up model 10.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I wish I could argue with you, but the SP101 is probably Rugers worst handgun at the moment. I wouldn't describe the triggers as terrible, there's plenty worse out there. I've had some J frames that were truly terrible where you couldn't possibly get a double action shot off without shaking from pulling so hard. The SP101 has potential though. It's durable as all get out, and the size for that durability is unmatched. It needs updates, and Ruger doesn't seem interested.
    I have often wondered why Ruger keeps the SP around. As said before, raw durability and strength is really all it has going for it. Other snubbies have it beat in every other way. As I recall, the SP was introduced when .357 wheelguns were still the default LE sidearm and it made sense for Ruger to introduce a relatively small .357 as a backup or off duty gun to compliment the GP-100. At the time there was little else available in this niche. Obviously that is not the case anymore, and I think Ruger would be better served using that production capacity for other things that are in high demand like GP's and Blackhawks.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Maybe Henry will make a yellow boy version.

Boolit Master
    The SP101 .357mag is one gun I wish I had not sold. I liked it a lot and it had a great trigger (purchased in 2004). I carried it for many years, either pancake holster, shoulder or pocket (motorcycle pants pocket was perfect fit).

I know current Ruger quality may be different. I liked the weight of the gun for the cartridge being fired. Yes, a scandium frame is much lighter, but, I could shoot follow up better with the Ruger.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R-71 View Post
    I like a couple models of the Henry Rifles, but those revolvers are Hideous. I'd rather have a beat up model 10.
    I’m a huge fan of the mod 10 pre lock please, but Henry rifles are quality. I’d sure like to see how smooth they are & accurate they are.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

To each his own. No way I would buy any revolver that was not stainless. I own two Ruger SP101, 3" , 357 mag. After a few years with the first one, I liked it so much I bought a second. Will handle full load 357 mag loads, consistently. There are a super tough dependable revolver. IMHO... I don't seem to have any trouble with the triggers on mine. They are both accurate pieces that hit where I aim. Maybe I just lucked out..

There are good SP's out there for sure, I just haven't encountered any. The 3" .357 I had in the early 2000's was one of the worst guns I've ever had. Horrid trigger even with a spring kit installed and POI was like 8-12" low with every load I ever tried in it. Never contacted Ruger about it because I got my money back out of it on a trade in.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Too ugly to suit me.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I keep staring at the pictures I see of the gun trying to figure out what makes me think it is ugly/cheap looking. I think the barrel is the biggest culprit. That little cutout over the ejector plunger and the straight profile really seems to make it look cheap. The hammer spur looks proportionally too small, and the finish screams cheap to me. All for a $950 retail price???

Perhaps a tapered barrel, more hammer spur, polish the steel before bluing (or offer in stainless). Currently it seems to look like a High Standard Sentinel in .38.

The looks of it don't bother me but I can see why it would bother others. At the same time, there are lots of guns out there which look pretty but have known defects that keep popping up and the manufacturer pretends there is nothing wrong (*cough* Winchester).

It "kind of" looks in some ways like Colt Lawman Mk III with a low mounted S&W style cylinder release.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt Lawman Mk III.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	313306 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry Big Boy 357.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	313307

I appreciate the 70's style service revolver effort, but to me the brass bling blows that look.

That's what I was thinking. Actually, I think it looks better than the Colt which has that weird hump over the trigger. My mind just can't get past how odd that looks. I think Henry will have no trouble selling these especially if they come out with more barrel lengths and adjustable sights. If Henry rolled out a double action .22 revolver with a real world price under five bills those would sell like mad, there's very little to choose from in that category. I think it could easily be done with an aluminum frame. The Ruger Super Wrangler has a steel frame and two cylinders and still under $400.00. At my side job I have alot of people asking about double action .22's and .357's.

I think they look ok, but they want too much for them and non-adjustable rear sight...nah.
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master
    Inquired at my LGS yesterday. They are trying to buy a couple but the revolvers are not available yet.

I see from a quick look on the internet this morning that all the articles are date lined April 13-17 and nothing after. Hmmmm.

Starting to feel like waiting for Ruger to get 336’s to market.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Inquired at my LGS yesterday. They are trying to buy a couple but the revolvers are not available yet.

I see from a quick look on the internet this morning that all the articles are date lined April 13-17 and nothing after. Hmmmm.

Starting to feel like waiting for Ruger to get 336’s to market.
    It takes weeks just to get simple lawn mower parts anymore. Is it really a surprise fully complete handguns arent delivered over night? Manufacturing is in a bad way right now in all industries.

It took almost a year to for Ruger Wranglers to show up around here.
    Known traffic menace

Wheelguns that are not snubbies are a very hot commodity around here, and I think it will be quite awhile before I see one in person. I bet henry already has a huge backlog of orders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post
    It "kind of" looks in some ways like Colt Lawman Mk III with a low mounted S&W style cylinder release.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt Lawman Mk III.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	313306 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry Big Boy 357.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	313307

I appreciate the 70's style service revolver effort, but to me the brass bling blows that look.
    This was along my lines of thinking. It reminds me of early Colts, like the New Service...but with a grip frame from a SAA... I'm not judging it's suitability. But it is definitely ugly....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123