Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry revolvers?

Boolit Master

I personally don't like the looks of the action design. They probably won't miss my pennies, anyway........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    This 100%. I love my S&W 10-5 and Ruger Service Six, these are the perfect size for a .38 or .357 revolver. Full underlugs are hideous. If I'm going to pack something as bulky and heavy as a GP or 686 then I would rather have a .357 carbine. I'm definitely open to adding a Henry wheelgun to my battery, 'specially with adjustable sights and no underlug.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far on the GP100, it is still my all time favorite handgun after all, and nothing is likely to dethrone it. The service six is a good example, but being long gone, I think it's clear this Henry is aimed squarely at competing with the K frame like your 10-5, or the Ruger SP101. I suppose you could throw the Taurus 65/66 in that mix too, but that's really a bit bigger, practically a GP100.

It sure looks like Henry went with their own design, so I'll be very interested in buying one and taking it apart. They have a very Ruger-esque grip frame, and a very S&W-like side plate, flat trigger, and cylinder release. It's really hard to guess what the guts are like. Henry has done both a transfer bar and rebounding hammer on their rifles, so there's no guesses there. The cylinder and cylinder star look Ruger style to me

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I personally don't like the looks of the action design. They probably won't miss my pennies, anyway........
    Where did you see pictures of the internals?

Boolit Master

I haven't. I quit it when I saw the Charter Arms crane. It looks like a High Standard Sentinel to me. Like I said they won't miss my pennies. I didn't say it wouldn't work for you, I just said I personally didn't like the looks of it.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Seems odd to hate the looks of an action design of a gun that you haven't even seen. The crane doesn't even resemble a Charter Arms at all.

Boolit Master

To each his own and my opinion is worth at least half of yours. You can buy 2........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

If your main gig is lever action rifles, why not a single action?
    I'm with ddixie, I think it's ugly and chessy, and they'll not see any coin from me either.
    If it is anything like the last couple years of production, you'll have to send it back a few times to get it right.
    Be sides they can't even keep up with what is already cataloged.
    PASS>

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    If your main gig is lever action rifles, why not a single action?
    I'm with ddixie, I think it's ugly and chessy, and they'll not see any coin from me either.
    If it is anything like the last couple years of production, you'll have to send it back a few times to get it right.
    Be sides they can't even keep up with what is already cataloged.
    PASS>

RP
    That thought did cross my mind, but Henry is a company that offers what people want and ask for. A lot of people have asked for a smaller frame field double action revolver like this. The only things I can see from the single action side is wanting a better replica, which is valid. Now that you mention it, I'm going to suggest Henry comes out with a little cap and ball replica.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmmm.....new gun. Might be good.
    I’m curious to know if it’s cast frame or forged.
    What’s the forcing cone like? Rough like new Rugers? Rough and oversized like new S&W’s? Or properly cut?
    What’s the barrel/cylinder gap? Modern 0.010” plus or old school 0.004”?
    Are the internals MIM? Well done MIM?

I’m happy to see it has a twist of 1:16” like Colts and Blackhawks. I really wish S&W would get on that band wagon.

Happy to see offset cylinder stop notches. Not completely between the chambers but definitely offset.

Happy to see screw on front sights. That opens the door for options. Also comes with 3 heights. That’s much better than anyone else’s fixed sight pistol.

The big flat thrust bearing surface on the cylinder ratchet looks good.

The exposed ejector rod is not nearly as exposed or fragile looking as a DA Colt. It might be ok, but I do prefer a shrouded ejector rod.

The styling is not sleek, supple or suave. That barrel notch for the ER knob is a bad look. JM Browning would not approve!

It’s a transfer bar action. I’m ok with that.

I’m very anxious to see one in person with a feeler gage, 0-1” mic and split ball in hand. If the Dimensions are good, if it feels good, I could overlook the styling.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Oh, and for a first offering, 357 is the right caliber. I do hope 327’s are coming.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    Eeeekkk. They look Fugly. And the MSRP? I’ll pass.
    /\ This

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    OMG!!!!! Henry is making something besides a lever action rifle??? EUICK . . . . RUN FOR YOUR LIVES > > > THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

In this day and age with howe screwed up things are - I give Henry a LOT of credit for looking ahead and coming up with new products - AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS. I wonder how many who complained about "no side gate" actually bought one after Henry re-tooled to change their design to meet potential customer's complaints and whining about it?

I currently own three Henry rifles - all with very nice walnut stocks, excellent fit and finish - accurate and built like the guns I learned to shoot with 60 plus years ago when "guns were guns" - not plastic stocks, tutti fruity colored tupperware zombie slaying wannabes.

Will Henry's new pistol be a success? Only time will tell. We all like different things. My 70 + year old S & W 5' M & P hits where I point it and I really don't need anymore revolvers, but I'm going to hold my thoughts and judgement of Henry's new revolver until I can see it in person, hold it in my hand and if it looks and feels good, I might buy one. If it doesn't, then like everyone else with freewill,I'll pas as it's not for me - but the next guy just might fall in love with it and want a pair of them. But I will at least applaud Henry for their efforts to bring out new products, just as I will for Ruger and others making guns in this country and employing AMERICANS.

It's kind of funny - I see the same pro and con type of remarks about Henry's new "Homesteader". i've heard and read remarks about it being "over priced". I'm looking at it and the Ruger 9PC standard carbine. I have watched a number of videos on both makes and for what I'm looking for - a 9mm carbine because I reload 9mm and have for years, a decent plinker, a critter gun and one I can keep handy for. Both the Homesteader and the Ruger 9PC seem to fit the bill. Yep! The Ruger is cheaper - it has a synthetic stock - if they offered it in a walnut stock, I have to believe it would be at or near the price of the Homesteader. Both offer the option of using Glock magazines which appeals to a lot of folks - it does to me as I carry a Glock 26 and a 10 round magazine is adequate for my needs but it also allows higher capacity if desired. Only seeing the Homesteader and the Ruger 9PC in person and handling them is going to help me decide which one is for me both are decent firearms, Personally though, I think that Henry has a winner with the Homesteader - it is going to appeal to a number of folks and it fits a niche that is becoming more popular - and who knows how many they will sell if the eventually offer it in 40 and 45acp. Time will tell - the same with Henry's pistol.

I read a complaint the other day about why Henry didn't make their first pistol offering a "single action"? I wonder what the complaints and fault finding would have been if they had . . . . and if it had been a clone of a Colt SAA or a S & W Schofield?

Different strokes for different folks!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Could also be that Henry knows Ruger and Uberti have the market for non-Colt single actions wrapped up, so they figure no reason to go there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Per my browsing of the interwebs today, if you want a new DA/SA 357 with fixed sights and a 4" barrel, that is made in the USA, your choices are either the Henry Big Boy (MSRP $928), the Charter Arms Model 63546 (MSRP $470.40) or the Kimber K6S DASA (MSRP $1209.00).

At first I was put off by the looks of the Henry, but I find myself warming up to it. I look forward to seeing it offered with adjustable sights. In stainless. With a bigger frame. In .44 Special and .45 Colt.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Per my browsing of the interwebs today, if you want a new DA/SA 357 with fixed sights and a 4" barrel, that is made in the USA, your choices are either the Henry Big Boy (MSRP $928), the Charter Arms Model 63546 (MSRP $470.40) or the Kimber K6S DASA (MSRP $1209.00).

At first I was put off by the looks of the Henry, but I find myself warming up to it. I look forward to seeing it offered with adjustable sights. In stainless. With a bigger frame. In .44 Special and .45 Colt.
    Well the Charter Arms isn't a great comparison since it much smaller, closer to an LCR or J frame size. I'm also not sure they still make the fixed sight 4" model, but Charter seems to build non-catalog guns all the time so who knows. I'm not seeing a Kimber that is both a 4" barrel and fixed sights. I do see a 4" combat model with dovetail sights which may be what you are referring to. Definately a nice looking revolver. I always forget Kimber makes them. The weights not bad at all. Still they only come in full underlug, and shiny or shinier stainless steel.

You can still buy a brand new S&W model 10 MSRP $869, but it's a S&W, has a Hillary hole, and it's a 38 special only gun. There is also the model 19 MSRP $969, same drawbacks although is chambered for 357 magnum, although it does have adjustable sights, it also has a less than stellar history of durability.

Rugers SP101 is the closest thing they offer since the service six is long gone. I'm assuming the SP101 is a little smaller since it is only a 5 shot in 357 magnum, but the weight is comparable to the Henry. Again only as full underlug (unless 22LR), and stainless finish. MSRP $979 for the 4" model. The biggest problem with the SP101 is nobody has ever made a good set of grips for it. I tried to have a custom set made for my own SP101 which are pretty good, but the way the grip stub is placed there's only so much you can do unless you have small hands. Every store option grip is a tiny concealed carry thing. The LCRX grip is a better field grip than anything the SP101 has for it, which is just sad. The potential for a super SP101 model is there.

The market is there for a small field revolver like this. A lot of people have turned away from S&W revolvers for various reasons. Ruger hasn't quite nailed it yet. That Kimber looks nice, but that Henry, that does it for me, I love how they look.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Charter 63546 is probably vaporware. The photo is transposed, making it look like a left hand revolver. I think the SP-101 is way overpriced for what it is, a heavy five shot with fixed sights. The trigger pull on most of them is absolutely terrible. I can only see buying it if you actually want to shoot thousands of full power .357's through a gun of this size, given that it's a revolver shaped chunk of stainless steel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    If my oldest son were to ever jump into the wheel gun camp, it would probably be for a Henry. The only reason he'd choose it would be the appeal to his steampunk/retro/video game nature. That being said, I think it's a great design for an upgrade in 45lc.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The Charter 63546 is probably vaporware. The photo is transposed, making it look like a left hand revolver. I think the SP-101 is way overpriced for what it is, a heavy five shot with fixed sights. The trigger pull on most of them is absolutely terrible. I can only see buying it if you actually want to shoot thousands of full power .357's through a gun of this size, given that it's a revolver shaped chunk of stainless steel.
    I wish I could argue with you, but the SP101 is probably Rugers worst handgun at the moment. I wouldn't describe the triggers as terrible, there's plenty worse out there. I've had some J frames that were truly terrible where you couldn't possibly get a double action shot off without shaking from pulling so hard. The SP101 has potential though. It's durable as all get out, and the size for that durability is unmatched. It needs updates, and Ruger doesn't seem interested.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    If my oldest son were to ever jump into the wheel gun camp, it would probably be for a Henry. The only reason he'd choose it would be the appeal to his steampunk/retro/video game nature. That being said, I think it's a great design for an upgrade in 45lc.
    Heck yeah. Anything Steampunk or Mad Max is an instant like from me too.

Boolit Master
    I saw something for sale on a local site today that relates to the above discussion about the SP-101. It is a 2018 vintage four inch SP-101 .357 with full underlug, dovetailed front sight and adjustable rear in a very high polish stainless with a set of what look like Altamont grips, with Match Champion laser engraved on the right side of the barrel. The guy wants $895 for it. Anyone have one? GF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast