Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCPs are fun, but so is a good springer

Boolit Master

PCPs are fun, but so is a good springer

Sure am enjoying breaking in this new Weihrauch HW97K. I had one years ago and had forgotten just how much quality is built into a German air rifle. Hoping to get enough practice to try hunter piston field target with the thing.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Air Arms TX 200 , I bought it used at a gun show about ten years ago , shot it a bit then put it up got it out a couple of weeks back and found that the seal on the end of the piston has turned hard and crumbled on the first shot , so I am waiting on a tuning kit to put it back in operation , they sure aren't like the pellet guns I grew up with.

Boolit Master
    Fitz, the Air Arms TX 200 is almost the only springer competitor to the HW 97K -- and often beats it. It's an excellent air rifle well worth the maintenance. Congratulations. I've never even seen one in person.

Had one or both of these on my list of wants for a good while. Almost ordered one before I got distracted with the PCP thing.
    Hard to go wrong with a good springer. Especially how it's all self contained. Tin of pellets is all you need. No worries about a pump or compressor
    to bring along. I like my PCPs but honestly... anything a springer can't do, I'll just grab a powder burner

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Fitz, the Air Arms TX 200 is almost the only springer competitor to the HW 97K -- and often beats it. It's an excellent air rifle well worth the maintenance. Congratulations. I've never even seen one in person.
    I have both the Air Arms T200 10-meter .177 PCP Rifle and its .22 cousin, the Air Arms S200. Is MY T200 the "same as" -- other than being PCP-propelled versus the TX200 spring-generated air? If so.. the TX200 must be, indeed, one awesome air rifle!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    That is an awesome rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Is that a moderator? A quiet springer would be most useful.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

A lot of them come with moderators these days

I lucked into a .22 blue laminate HW97k, put an Athlon 4-14X on it and with H&N Field Target Trophy pellets it shoots better than most .22rf rifles I've owned. I just wish I had bought one of these to begin with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Bx8oxzl.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	313534
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    I asked about the sleeve on the front end of the barrel over at Airgun Nation and there is a chamber in it, no baffles or air stripper, but it does help to quiet the sound of firing. Loosen a set screw and you can unscrew it.

I have the earlier version,,, the HW77. it has been a solid performer since I got it in 1982. mine is a .22.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I have the earlier version,,, the HW77. it has been a solid performer since I got it in 1982. mine is a .22.

Randy
    I was on a site last year that still had new HW77's for sale. From what I understand they're the same as the 97 except they have sights and different stocks.

Airguns of Arizona lists both new HW97k and HW77k for sale. $629.99 for either, pre-order deposit of $25.00 (neither are in stock currently)

Boolit Master
    That HW77 was considered "the winningest airgun" in the early years of field target, according to the histories I am reading.

That HW77 was considered "the winningest airgun" in the early years of field target, according to the histories I am reading.
    Think the TX200 was right up there too

HW77/97 or TX200, I think they shoot about the same given the same optic and pellets they like.

When I got my HW97k and scope, I sighted it in with wally-world Crosman HP's (not bad...) finished sighting in with H&N FTT and was amazed at the accuracy. Then I tried RWS pellets and got about a 3'' shotgun pattern. Back to the H&N FTT, one hole group exactly where it should be. Tried another 5 RWS, all over the place! I ran inside and ordered another 2,000 H&N FTT from Midway on sale.

Sight in day. Group om the left is H&N FTT, aim point was the hole on the bottom center. Range was 25yds. off bags, I didn't count but believe there's between 30-40 shots in the group. Group measures just a few .000'' under 1/2''. ''Pattern'' on the right was RWS pellets, I don't know which hole was the aiming point. At least they shoot pretty good in my RWS 34.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MQ0fspml.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	313831

Boolit Master
    Shot my first field target match last Saturday northwest of Waco with the HW97K and the Element Helix scope. "Not ready for prime time" would be an understatement!
    I shot a 10 out of a possibly 60, but oh, did I learn a lot. Been reading about field target off and on for close to 40 years and am so glad I finally tried it.
    I had tried JSB 8.4s, H&N 8.4s, H&N 9.57s and H&N 10.65s on a long sight-in session at 25 yards. None were really stellar, but I went with the 9.57s as probably the most accurate. It was tough to tell with 8-12 mph cross winds.
    I'll retest on a day with better conditions, and was advised by some very experienced airgunners that JSB is the pellet to beat across the board. Checking equipment lists with match results here and abroad, no question that JSBs -- and occasionally, FX and Air Arms, which JSB makes, absolutely dominate the field.
    Another thing I was told was that there may well be three or four sizes of pellet in one tin , even by the best manufacturers, so pellet sorting is an important waypoint on the road to maximum accuracy.
    Last edited by Abert Rim; 05-09-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shot my first field target match last Saturday northwest of Waco with the HW97K and the Element Helix scope. "Not ready for prime time" would be an understatement!
    I shot a 10 out of a possibly 60, but oh, did I learn a lot. Been reading about field target off and on for close to 40 years and am so glad I finally tried it.
    I had tried JSB 8.4s, H&N 8.4s, H&N 9.57s and H&N 10.65s on a long sight-in session at 25 yards. None were really stellar, but I went with the 9.57s as probably the most accurate. It was tough to tell with 8-12 mph cross winds.
    I'll retest on a day with better conditions, and was advised by some very experienced airgunners that JSB is the pellet to beat across the board. Checking equipment lists with match results here and abroad, no question that JSBs -- and occasionally, FX and Air Arms, which JSB makes, absolutely dominate the field.
    Another thing I was told was that there may well be three or four sizes of pellet in one tin , even by the best manufacturers, so pellet sorting is an important waypoint on the road to maximum accuracy.
    Competing is where you learn quickly and effectively. I would love to attend a shoot but there is nothing near me.
    Don Verna

Northwest of Waco, would that be near Whitney?

Boolit Master
    The postal address was Clifton. It was south off Highway 22 on FM 56. Gonna be an EXTREME match first weekend in June.

The postal address was Clifton. It was south off Highway 22 on FM 56. Gonna be an EXTREME match first weekend in June.
    Couple miles the other side of the lake. Just a few miles north of Clifton on Hwy 6 is Meridian State Park. A rather unique spot in that part of central Tx.
    We used to go there often when I was a kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast