MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking stocked trout ...any way to make them taste good.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Pretty much all fish out of warm, fresh water are sort of mushy/soft.
    Almost all of the really good fish come out of the deep and cold ocean.

To make the best of what ya have-
    Cut off the skin, de-bone it, and anything that its color isn't that of the meat.
    Soak the fillets over night in the refrigerator in about 1/3 vinegar & 2/3 water with a bump of salt.
    That firms the meat up some, and washes out a lot of that 'fishy' flavor.
    Fish species matters too. I have eaten flathead catfish from 70 degree water, same for northern pike. Neither was mushy.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Fish species matters too. I have eaten flathead catfish from 70 degree water, same for northern pike. Neither was mushy.
    Down here, 70 degree water is colder than a pawn broker's heart to us.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Stocked trout can be delicious. They just need 6-8 months in 40-60 degree water.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I had talk with one guy when I was leaven from fishing he told me is to gut and remove the gills then ,salt the stock trout and hang them in the fridge for a few days to dry out then after when you use them , wash them out to get the salt off. Then cook like you normal would and they will not come out mushy. I have not try it . I normally get the ones that are not stock. I do not have the problem with mushy . MT Gianni is right ,after they are in the waters like was stated. Then you find a difference in them. I normally bake my , roll in corn meal . With the head on and skin .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

smoke them low and slow till there dry. about the only way ill eat fatty lake trout

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Down here, 70 degree water is colder than a pawn broker's heart to us.
    Water temps here are ~40 degrees right now LOL 2 weeks ago they were 33... with a cap of rotting ice that was 18 inches thick at one point

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Water temps here are ~40 degrees right now LOL 2 weeks ago they were 33... with a cap of rotting ice that was 18 inches thick at one point
    heck mary lake superior is in my back yard and its not much warmer then that in july!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Most stocked fish have been feed grain based food. That’s not their normal diet. That’s why the taste isn’t there. Bread and fry them with your favorite herbs and spices to give them some flavor.
    +1 Stocked trout unless having lived in the wild for a few months are not that good. Chill well before cooking to firm the meat and use spices of your choice.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    heck mary lake superior is in my back yard and its not much warmer then that in july!!
    People don't realize how big MN is north to south... I am down in the prairie pothole lake region... shallow muddy holes... climate here is different...

And yes, Superior is COLD even in summer... idiot brother in law swept us off the sailboat deck when he tacked without warning. Had to tread water for 20 minutes. We tossed him in and trolled him for 20 minutes to make the point to warn before you do a massive course change! Thankfully we had a propane heater down in the cabin... fired it up and warmed up.

Boolit Master

Our stocked trout come from a cold water hatchery and are stocked in cold water lakes.
    They are delicious.

Moderator Emeritus

My KISS recipe which, to my taste buds cannot be beat -- is to slice trout from just under head down to start of tail, open, and clean out guts. Rinse just a bit under COOL running tap water. Open up some heavy-duty aluminum foil and pour on it a liberal amount of any brand bottled Italian Salad Dressing, and put fish on it. Roll so fish are totally covered, and then SEAL the foil to make a snug container for fish therein. Then put on bar-b-que grill or hot coals of a wood campfire. I generally go about seven-eight minutes on one side; flip; and cook five-six minutes longer. Important is to keep foil bag closed for a couple of minutes after removal from heat and also to be careful (steam!) when opening.
    Thirty years or so back a WWII DP from Estonia shared some trout cooked this way with me -- we met at a State Park -- and I've never cooked trout differently, since!
    Super easy -- all needed is some aluminum foil and Italian dressing -- with the results, awesome!
    geo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12