Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: simplicity lawn/garden tractors

Boolit Master

simplicity lawn/garden tractors

i have a cub cadet riding mower that was made in hell. probably going to upgrade. any thoughts on a simplicity? trying to find a site they gives the $; but impossible for me to find. and, what is the line of progression cheapest to best. i can't even find that!

Moderator Emeritus

Simplicity is a good brand, made in USA, but just like everything they offer Budget level mowers and Premium level mowers...you get what you pay for. If you want a real good one and can afford it, go to a dealer, as opposed to a Big Box store. Big Box stores will order batches of Budget level models, and even specify options to make them cheaper.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    i know better than to buy something like that at lowe's or home depot. on this note any other reccomedations excluding john deere and cub cadet?

Boolit Master

Not sure your budget or how much grass you cut. Ferris is the best you can buy. They are not cheap crap. Highest resale/trade in value. In fact, what other brand has a "trade-in" value.

Boolit Master

A friend had a Simplicity a few years ago. It broke a belt. The belt was unique to their mowers and they wanted over $150 for it. He learned his lesson quick!
    No Simplicity for me.
    Take care!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Several years ago I a needed a belt for the Woods belly mower on my first Kubota. Woods wanted somewhere around a hundred dollars (been a few years).

I ordered one from these folks, https://www.vbelts4less.com/ for $34.00. Got it quick and it has lasted better than the NIB Gates belt that came with the tractor. The belt was made in India, but I have been completely satisfied with it.

No idea on the recent Simplicity mowers. Decades ago they were a good brand.

Robert

Boolit Master
    some of the older simplicity mowers were built like tanks much like the older cub cadets before MTD took over most everything in consumer homeowner riding lawn mowers.
    ive got an early mtd cub cadet and previous owner did some jury rigging I guess that put mower belt out of alignment and it eats a new belt in about 20 minutes.
    found a dealer that had the correct belt, $107. I got one 2/10" longer, the same material, kevlar or equal to kevlar, from belts for less, $40, ii still didn't get adjustments corrected properly. it lasted about 1/2 hour. then I found off road belts in Iowa, the same belt from them was only $20. yeah, I wish I could afford a new scag turf tiger, or a grasshopper or one of those commercial quality bad boys. if you need belts of any sort I highly recommend off road belts or vbelts for less.
    it will probably be another summer of using tractor bush hog for big areas and walk behind sarlo for the edges

Boolit Master
    price wise, i would like to stay under $6000.00. thanks for the heads up rick. i am going to look at a simplicity and question them about that issue.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Simplicity 52" Zero Turn I bought in '05. The blade drive belt broke several years ago. $129.....I sized a Gates heavy duty belt for maybe $35 and it lasted about half the yard. So I cried and bought the Simplicity belt which was a much heavier belt. I run hi-lift blades and that probably doesn't help my belt life. I mow several acres and have had no other problems beyond routine maintenance. Would I buy another one?? You betcha, only a bigger one this time. She's built pretty tough, a lot heavier than anything you see at the box stores. I thought at one time Simplicity was a sister to Ferris, but I wouldn't put any money on that.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had one for several years, and it has worked well for me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

A lot depends on your use I use the lawn tractor as a tractor also and use it to pull a trailer around for moving wood and even my boat .
    I had a Craftsman 42" cut the transmission kept losing go I found there was water in the oil (20-50 W motor oil). I bought a new John Deer 54" cut I cut the lawn in half the time and just over half the gasoline .

The old tractor is still in use I put a manual transmission in it and gave it to my son to use .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    A lot depends on your use I use the lawn tractor as a tractor also and use it to pull a trailer around for moving wood and even my boat .
    I had a Craftsman 42" cut the transmission kept losing go I found there was water in the oil (20-50 W motor oil). I bought a new John Deer 54" cut I cut the lawn in half the time and just over half the gasoline .

The old tractor is still in use I put a manual transmission in it and gave it to my son to use .
    I guess the question is how did water get into it on an air cooled machine.

Boolit Buddy
    I think he meant the water was in the transmission. I know of some older Craftsmen IIs that if they sat out in the weather or you weren’t careful washing them it could happen.

Boolit Master
    Over 10 years ago I bought a Simplicity riding mower from an estate. It has a Kohler 14 HP engine and 38" cut, does all I need for the yard. The engine began giving me issues with poor fuel delivery to the carb. I replaced the fuel pump with an expensive Kohler brand pump and that one lasted about a year but went down. Bought a second Kohler fuel pump and got 6 months out of that one. Disappointed with the quality and cost of their fuel pumps I bought a cheap import (Chinese) fuel pump for the mower. That was 3 years ago and it is still working well. Other than fuel pump issues the mower has served us well. Would I buy another one? Yes, only larger cut.

Boolit Master

I did on occasion drive the tractor in deep puddles but water should not have got in that way Condensation is my next guess ?????
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I bought a big box deere, and transmission went out in 6 months on my hill of a yard. While dealer was fixing it he offered me a trade to get into the size I should have bought. Never had another problem.
    Last edited by compass will; 05-01-2023 at 11:08 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I did on occasion drive the tractor in deep puddles but water should not have got in that way Condensation is my next guess ?????
    My guess is you have/had a seal leaking. Used to see it all the time on 4WD. Water in the diffs or transfer case from leaking seals.

Boolit Master
    used to have a simplicity, it cut acres and acres of grass, my own lawn was just shy of 3 acres, and the crew regularly used it to cut customers lawns as well. Only thing that gave any trouble was the blade rotors, they would pretty much self destruct after multiple ground strikes ( large stones, survey bars, telepghone pole anchors and such) was a great little mower. But we moved and now have a kubota 3450 and a smaller kubota about 17 hp.

My Lx280 is 10yrs old now and still like new with one belt replacement. I mow an acre or more around the barns and house but use the tractor with flail mower in the fields. My LX has the Kawasaki engine.
    Why anyone buys Big Box mowers I can't understand unless having postage stamp lawns; they just don't hold up very long. When my 280 runs out, I will get the X380 or bigger, if gasoline is still available...

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Gotta ask what it takes to back up with the blades running.

A neighbor has a huskavarna with a fabricated deck. He loves it. My 20 year old deere purchased from deere (low end) has treated me well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast