Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: how to rebuild an extractor at swedish rolling block

Boolit Bub

how to rebuild an extractor at swedish rolling block

I would like to rebuild an extractor on swedish rolling block according rolling block 7x57 mauser No.5 model 1902, the notch for this extractor is shorter and I think also more safety (possibility of chamber cracking).

Let me know guys if its actually possible at all...
    Last edited by mira; 04-16-2023 at 09:13 AM.

mira-This probably belongs in the gunsmithing or single shot thread? hc18flyer

Boolit Bub
    sorry, moove it there...

Boolit Bub
    Hey Guys let me know if its possible?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

The 1902 model uses a rotary extractor, early models used a sliding extractor.

Boolit Bub
    sorry, this I didnt know, I need just an advise nothing more, its my first RB

Boolit Bub
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A3yu7SyhKyg -sliding excractor, rotary not found.

But why I would like to rebuild this excractor, still thinking about of barrel strength because of weak point due to the groove for an exctractor.
    I saw picture of open barrel due to overloaded cartridge, the beginning of the crack was in this groove (for the extractor).

Boolit Master

standard factory ammo is no problem for the sliding extractor, that's what the 1897 rolling block used for the 7X57. An overloaded cartridge can do all kinds of damage. Also an underloaded cartridge can cause damage.

Boolit Bub
    sorry guys for my english I know its not perfect (sometimes wrong) but where to turn if I need an advice about rolling block....

So If I understood well sliding extractor (like on RB model 1902) is better then rotary extractor (like Swedish RB)and the barrel on model 1902 can withstand higher load, (because of better groove position) higher gas pressures???

Boolit Buddy
    Mira, Your English is a little confusing, but your interest in rolling blocks is welcome. If I understand what your are asking, you want to convert a sliding extractor Swedish rolling block to a rotary type. I believe it would be possible to do; but is probably not needed and may be unsafe. Yes, the 7x57 produces more chamber pressure than the earlier rounds the Swedish was chambered for, however, the area between the extractor and the chamber would be more than was present in the earlier chambering because the chamber is smaller in diameter for a 7x57. It would therefor be stronger. That is not to say it would be safe to do it. The earliest 7x57 rolling blocks had a sliding extractor. These rifles were common in Central America and Mexico. The type of extractor was changed to the rotary type sometime later, for reasons unknown to me. In any case, you would be wise to read all you can about the 7x57 rolling blocks as the chambers were often over size. Be sure to keep your loading pressure low and produce your own handloads with that in mind. I recommend against modern, factory produced loaded ammo as the chamber pressure may be too high for an older gun. Another area of concern is the receiver itself. Some believe the Swedish rolling block is produced using steel that is not as strong as the later, Remington made rolling blocks. In my opinion, it is more work to convert the extractor type, and could be unsafe to do so to an earlier rolling block. One more thought on this, the groove the extractor slides in is only slightly deeper than the bottoms of the threads in the shank of the barrel.

Boolit Bub
    I sent PM....