Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Savage 99 .308 FP spring?

Boolit Buddy

Savage 99 .308 FP spring?

The closing action on my 99 seems to be very heavy and so the question, are they over sprung? Would cutting a coil off the FP spring be to much. And the trigger pull is way to heavy, how to lighten the pull would be appreciated. The riffle is used but not abused. (I shoot 92's & 76's so this savage action sure seems heavy). It will shoot 3 rds., then hang on the 4th.rd.(?) any tips or advice ?

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

I found an answer for you by using the "search" feature of this forum:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...lose-lever-fix
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    First, which 99 do have, the 308 99's come with side safeties, the early "long action 99's" like the 99Featherweights and the later 99E's. There are the "tang safety 99's", 99 Featherweights, 99M, 99 DL, and then the 99C that has a removable 'clip' magazine. I've got a bunch of 99's (30+) and shortening the firing pin spring is not the solution for any of the 'hard closing' problems of the 99. After you pull the stock, watch how the sear, trigger, bolt and lever work together. Clean out the 40-50 years of hardened gunk where the lever moves the bolt and check how the lever locks into the receiver. A good grease can do wonders in the right spots. The 99C, with the detachable magazine is not as smooth as the rotary magazine, I have one in .243 and it does not feed very smoothly, though I have not 'fussed' at it. Changing trigger pull usually requires smoothing the cocking piece/sear interface on the side safety models and MAYBE slimming or shimming the trigger return spring. The tang safety models require a different approach, careful stoning the override sear and trigger interface. The trigger work must be done VERY, VERY carefully, as spare parts are not easy to find. Adjusting the rotary magazine is not difficult, but usually a poorly adjusted rotary magazine either does not feed the last round in the magazine OR makes the magazine hard to load. Again shortening the firing pin spring does little/nothing towards smoothing operation. The Win 92 and 76 and all other levers WITH EXPOSED HAMMERS that I know of cock on opening while the Savage 99 COCKS ON CLOSING, causing the different feel. The lever can be adjusted for how tight it locks into the receiver, but this is a very delicate job with a hammer to adjust the bow of the lever.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 04-16-2023 at 10:15 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    1st., Thank you pietro, that is a very interesting article, i understood what he was talking about. I made a "forked" tool bit to fit the adjusting nut, turned "counter clock wise" to tighten.

2nd. MostlyLeverGuns, "sorry", this 99 is a 99A, rotary feed. After pulling the stock, the first thing i did look at was (is) how the lever rotates over the catch (stop) in the receiver, which causes pressure on the bow of the lever. There was a groove in the catch (smoothed it some) also smoothed the flat of the lever that rides over the catch (i used extra fine honing stones). Holes drilled for scope mounts had to be deburred inside,and a few other factory rough spots (smooth & try, smooth & try ), the action is much, much better. As far as trying to take the bow out of the lever, i better leave that to some one more qualified. Thank everyone for your replys.

MostlyLG, instead of trying to change the bow in the lever, would it be wrong to hone the end of the lever that rides over the catch (stop) until it smoothed up more? (looking for knowledge)

coffee's raedy, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    I have used a piece of fine silicon carbide paper (600-800-1000 grit) on the hump in the receiver that the lever locks over, closing the lever with the paper between the lever and receiver contact point. Done carefully this can help smooth the lockup. The later years of the 99 were not good ones, your 99A in 308 was part of the less than stellar work found toward the end of the 99's production, though they do tend to shoot very well. A moly grease on that point will help a lot also.

Boolit Buddy
    Mostly, you are right, the 99A's have a lot of rough mill marks and sharp casting edges. This rifle is not really mine, i'm fixing it for a friend. You literally had to force the lever down to open and lock up, now i can hold the rifle to my shoulder and work the action. From what you advised me i thank you, he (my friend) said it will shoot 3 rds. but will hang on the 4th. rd., may be hollering back at ya'.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.