Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: What shoots Lyman 575213 and 557456 nose pour hollow base boolits?

Boolit Master

What shoots Lyman 575213 and 557456 nose pour hollow base boolits?

Estate sale bag full of rusted “gun molds”.
    Just got them put back together after a trip through Evapo-Rust, hot water, blow dry and dunk in automatic transmission fluid.

There are two of the 575213’s. One has an OS marking. They look to be different weights and different lube grooves.

I’m tempted to melt up some pretty soft lead and see if I can get them to cast. They’re all single cavity and all have base plugs. I’ve never cast with a base plug mold.

There is a shop made sizer which is a manual tool that was in the bag. It’s a hunk of soft steel with a tapered hole going down to 0.575”. It has a pusher with a nose that looks like it’ll fit into the hollow bases.

The closest thing I have to 0.575” is a 58 caliber Zoli Zouave reproduction musket from the 1970’s or so. I’m wondering if these just might fit? But why would there be a sizer for a Minnie-ball if that’s what these are?

I’m totally clueless on the 557456.

Any thoughts or guesses on what shoots these boolits?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

i have shot the 575213 with 60 grs fff out of a few zouave muskets with very good results. one rifle i set up with target sights and it would put three shots into 3" or less groups at 100 yards, by just filling the hollow base with white unsalted crisco. the 575213 os is like the original mini ball.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been a while since I was shooting my Parker Hale Musketoon, but I had one flavor of the 575213. And yes there are two different versions, I think the OS stands for Old Style.

From what I remember there is quite a wide range of bore sizes in the various .577 and .58 caliber muzzle loaders, and some people do get serious about accuracy.

The 557456 may be meant for the T/C New Englander smooth bore, seems like it was .56 cal. I may be wrong on that.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Well thank you gentlemen.
    I was suspicious the 577213’s might be for the 58.
    New England smooth bore? Hadn’t heard of that one. Interesting.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    The 575213 molds are for 58 caliber Civil War rifled muskets including the modern reproductions. They would be suitable for your Zouave. The OS means Old Style and is more or less a copy of the Civil War bullet. It will weigh around 460 grains. The one not marked OS is a modern version and is heavier at around 510 grains. Be sure to cast of pure lead or they will not expand into the rifling and shoot well. The 557456 is either a Gallagher or Burnside bullet mold, not sure which.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of sizers for 58 cal. and find that for best accuracy, sizing to bore diameter does the trick for me.

The Limans shot okay for me, but I have found the best accuracy in all 4 of my rifles was with the RCBS HB minie mold.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!