Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: 45acp +P 275gn pressure test

Banner Sponsor

45acp +P 275gn pressure test

Hi everybody, I've been loading the Hunter's Supply 45-275 in my 45 Colt and 45acp for awhile now and asked Larry Gibson if you would pressure test the ACP loads just to see where they were at.
    I boxed up some primed brass, bullets and load data along with some money for powder and shipped it off.
    Larry assembled them and ran them through his pressure barrel.
    Quickload estimate:
    45acp-275, seated to 1.237" in Rem brass with Win LP primers, BlueDot, 7" barrel.
    8.7gn - 1035fps, 24kpsi 114% compressed load
    9.0gn - 1046fps, 27kpsi 118%

Larry's findings:
    Testing was done in a Contender 10" 45 ACP barrel. Ambient temp was 75 degrees with a 15% humidity. All rounds were loaded as per your specifications.

The 8.7 gr Blue Dot load under the 45-275 bullet ran 1047 fps with an ES/SD of 74/20 fps. The psi averaged 24,000 with an ES/SD of 7,800/2,300 psi.

The 9.0 gr Blue Dot load under the same bullet ran 1110 fps with an ES/SD of 76/23 fps. The psi averaged 27,300 with an ES/SD of 5,600/2,100 psi.

Nothing abnormal was observed in the pressure traces of either load.

So it looks like the 8.7gn load should be safe for 45ACP+P and the 9.0gn load should be safe for 45Super.
    I thought it was very interesting that the Quickload predicted pressures were very close to the actual measured pressures.
    Larry's velocities were higher than mine, but he used a 10" Contender and my gun is a 7" AMT LongSlide HardBaller.
    Larry also cautioned that a heavy recoil spring and shock buff be used and to watch for excessive slide velocity, also use sparingly so as to not batter your gun.

I have a heavier spring in my 7" LongSlide and the empties just tumble out at my feet. So I'm assuming that they are safe in my LongSlide, but I don't think I'll shoot them in the Star PD with it's 3.5" barrel and Aluminum frame.

Boolit Master

Somebody was wanting a "Bear Load" on here recently for a 45acp 1911. I guess this is it.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Man
    What were your velocities chronographed at vs what Larry's data showed through the long contender barrel?

Banner Sponsor

From my 7" Longslide vs 10" contender
    8.7gn load was 1035fps vs 1047
    9.0gn load was 1046fps vs 1110

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Hi everybody, I've been loading the Hunter's Supply 45-275 in my 45 Colt and 45acp for awhile now and asked Larry Gibson if you would pressure test the ACP loads just to see where they were at. I boxed up some primed brass, bullets and load data along with some money for powder and shipped it off. Larry assembled them and ran them through his pressure barrel.
    Quickload estimate:
    45acp-275, seated to 1.237" in Rem brass with Win LP primers, BlueDot, 7" barrel.
    8.7gn - 1035fps, 24kpsi 114% compressed load 9.0gn - 1046fps, 27kpsi 118%

Larry's findings:
    Testing was done in a Contender 10" 45 ACP barrel. Ambient temp was 75 degrees with a 15% humidity. All rounds were loaded as per your specifications.
    The 8.7 gr Blue Dot load under the 45-275 bullet ran 1047 fps with an ES/SD of 74/20 fps. The psi averaged 24,000 with an ES/SD of 7,800/2,300 psi. The 9.0 gr Blue Dot load under the same bullet ran 1110 fps with an ES/SD of 76/23 fps. The psi averaged 27,300 with an ES/SD of 5,600/2,100 psi. Nothing abnormal was observed in the pressure traces of either load.
    So it looks like the 8.7gn load should be safe for 45ACP+P and the 9.0gn load should be safe for .45 Super. I thought it was very interesting that the Quickload predicted pressures were very close to the actual measured pressures.
    Larry's velocities were higher than mine, but he used a 10" Contender and my gun is a 7" AMT LongSlide HardBaller. Larry also cautioned that a heavy recoil spring and shock buff be used and to watch for excessive slide velocity, also use sparingly so as to not batter your gun.

I have a heavier spring in my 7" LongSlide and the empties just tumble out at my feet. So I'm assuming that they are safe in my LongSlide, but I don't think I'll shoot them in the Star PD with it's 3.5" barrel and Aluminum frame.

For such loads, a heavier mainspring coupled with a flat-based (unradiused) firing pin stop would probably not be a waste. It might also be worth an E-mail to the Rowland folks to see if a semi-custom version of their .460 Rowland conversion might be fitted to the long-slide. If not, then perhaps their 5" barreled kit would achieve somewhat the same thing?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Good info thanx for sharing...........

Larry is a heck of a guy..........
    Last edited by ddixie884; 05-03-2023 at 05:03 AM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    For such loads, a heavier mainspring coupled with a flat-based (unradiused) firing pin stop would probably not be a waste.
    +1.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

Afaik, 45ACP+P pressure is 23kpsi not 24kpsi.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    seems that in long run that load would be hard on a 1911.. Interesting

Boolit Buddy
    Nice for single action revolvers though!!
    Thanks!!

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Are there any issues with case bulges with that length boolit or is the extra lead all in the ogive exterior of the case?

Banner Sponsor

No bulging of the cases.