WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Swedish CG63 question

Boolit Master

Swedish CG63 question

Does anyone own or shoot a Swedish 6.5x55 CG63 rifle with diopter sight? I would like to hear the max range this sight is good for, I have read they are good to 300 yards, I was hoping for maybe a little more than 300. I am looking at a rifle with the Elit diopter sight installed so that is the reason for my question. I am interested in jacketed and cast results. The CG63 rifle looks like a nice rifle that will shoot good. I have a 96 but the sights are not old eye friendly. I have a really hard time trying to shoot any respectable groups with the open sights but I really like the rifle so it’s not going anywhere. Maybe some day I will get a scout mount for the 96. Any feedback you may offer will be appreciated.

wcp

Moderator Emeritus
    The CG-63 sights will go quite a bit further than 300 yards, but I don’t know how far. I am pretty sure the 300yd (probably meters) number you heard was because that is the normal match distance the Swedes shot.

The CG-63 is a nice rifle!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have two of them with Diopter sights. They are great. I haven’t tried long range shooting with them, but they should work well. One very important fact is that your need to have a very small rear aperture to get the true diopter effect. 1mm max. Otherwise, it’s a regular peep site. The diopter effect is amazing. You will probably want to pick up different accessories for both front and rear sights. Beware that not all the Diopter sights are the same and interchangeable. I was disappointed when I received my second rifle, because most of the accessories I had for my first gun were useable on the new one.

They like fat lead boolits with gas checks. I beguiled my mold with some aluminum tape and the boolits would become concentric after sizing. I PCed for awhile, but changed to LLA, because I got frustrated trying to keep the boolits standing up while baking.

There is a guy in Sweden that has a large stock of sight accessories and is great to deal with. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will look up his contact information for you.

Not all C63s have the heavy match barrel. Some have been converted using standard military barrels.

There is a book called “Crown Jewels”, that is like an encyclopedia of all the Carl Gustav guns.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 04-15-2023 at 12:48 AM.

Boolit Master

Thanks to both for your replies. The 300 I referred to was probably meters seeing where the rifles came from and the matches they were shooting.

Greg
    Your comment about the diopter effect was interesting so I had to read about that. I shoot a number of different calibers with peep and tang sight so I just assumed the Swede sighting system was similar. The rifle I'm looking at has no insert in the front sight so I may like your contact information on the guy in Sweden. I will send you a PM today. Thanks for the offer.

wcp

Greg, what mould are you using for the CG63?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Greg, what mould are you using for the CG63?
    It’s an RCBS. I’ll have to check the details. It’s been five years since I cast boolits for it. I’ve been into BP and muzzle loading recently. Uk rifleman is the one who told me about beguiling the boolits. It really helped. I don’t think he was sooting the CG 63, only the military versions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    <snipped for brevity>
    Not all C63s have the heavy match barrel. Some have been converted using standard military barrels.

There is a book called “Crown Jewels”, that is like an encyclopedia of all the Carl Gustaf guns.
    The issue of m/96 rifles set into CG63 stocks was chewed up in-depth in the Swedish military firearms forum @ gunboards dot com many years ago. The discussion included some persons in Sweden. The Swedish person also referred to the m/96 set into a CG63 stock as CG63 but we (including me) disagreed for three reasons:

1- CG63 have a heavy barrel with 1:220mm twist. (1:200 for m/96)
    2- CG63 have special markings on the left side-wall of the receiver indicating the year and authorized gunsmith who did the conversion.
    3- bolt sleeve group is modified to a shorter firing pin travel shortening lock time.

Most all of the diopter sights are maxed at 600m. But they also have different calibration rings, some green, some ? maybe white and maybe yellow for different ammo & range. I have in my modest collection: GF, Pramm, Elit, Soderin. http://dutchman.rebooty.com/targetsights.html

p.s. forgive me I corrected your misspelling of Gustaf.

Dutch - listed contributor to Crown Jewels
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Looks like the Elit are maxed at 600m.

You can't imagine how many pix I had to look through to find this.

Boolit Master

I think these are for the Soderin. They both max at 600m.

Going to get back to my CG63 build next. My gun was made in 1899 and before tearing it apart it was a 2" gun with factory ammo. I got a knock off CG63 Stock from a guy in Texas and it is made from Real Walnut with Real Grain and everything. I think most CG's had Beechwood stocks?

I got all the correct stuff but the rear sight, and was planning on using a Lyman 48H as I found that some CG's did use the Lyman Sights. I think I discussed this with the Dutchman at one time on one of the forums?.

He is the Swedish Rifle Guru!

I made drawings for a Elite Rear Sight that someone loaned me, but got stopped at the "3 Start Thread" used in the Elevation Turret. It is just about Impossible to Duplicate. The rest of the sight is no problem, still complex,,, but doable..

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-01-2023 at 03:56 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

As I said before I have two. The first was built on a 1900 Obernoff and has the heavy barrel. The second I bought is a 1916, however it does not have the heavy barrel. I bought it from Germany from a big arms dealer there. When I received it I wasn’t pleased when I saw the smaller barrel. They both have Elit rear sights, but both are spelled without the e on the end of Elit like the one posted. Also the first gun has what I believe to be Elit front sights, but the second with the smaller barrel has a slightly different front sight. It looks almost the same, but does not wrap around the barrel and takes clear plastic inserts that are not compatible with the typical inserts.

It was mentioned that there was an armorer’s stamp on thee receiver of the real CG69s. The original gun has some additional stamps, a couple of letters and a sideways S . The second gun only has the serial number.

I feel I got ripped off, but there isn’t much I can do. The gun is a good shooter and I
    bought it because it had zero barrel wear. I am sure there are many more guns like this out there, however, I Agree that it is not correct to call my second gun a real CG69.