Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Mossberg 500 Rifled barrel with Rifled Slugs

Mossberg 500 Rifled barrel with Rifled Slugs

Hi all....I have a 500AT from 1976 that has a smooth bore deer slug barrel. I've always used rifled slugs with it. I'm thinking up upgrading that barrel to a fully rifled barrel. Do rifled slugs perform well from a rifled barrel...or do I need to purchase sabot slugs to obtain best accuracy?

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

I have one of the Mossberg rifled barrels with the cantilever scope mount integral to the barrel, I shoot the plain old rifled slugs from walmart, and it will cloverleaf a playing card at 100yds. I was actually considering selling it as I am not able to hunt now but I will give the barrel a straight two thumbs up with the cheapo slugs.

Let me add this.. The rifled slugs are dimpled on the nose, rifled on the side down to a solid ring at the base and have a large hollow base. They are made of dead soft lead. The pressure of ignition will obturate the rifled slug into the barrel's rifling in short order. The rifling on the slug is totally inconsequential once you pull the trigger.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-14-2023 at 05:00 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I was under the impression the you can't shoot rifle slugs from a rifled barrel and have to shoot sabots. Maybe that's only certain manufacturers recommended that...

That being said I just finally bought a rifle barrel from a member on here and fully intend on sabots only.
    Last edited by hades; 04-14-2023 at 07:55 PM. Reason: had can meant can't...

I have a rifled barrel for an 870 Remington and have shot rifled slugs in it. I can't shoot groups like Doug described but it's me, I'm just not that good with iron sights. I'd not worry about the 'doubled rifling' combination at all.

Boolit Master
    I, too, have a fully rifled barrel on my 870, and shoot regular foster slugs. I also use a 2.5 scope. At 75 yds, sighting it in, I got a 2-1/2" group. I've killed a deer at 88 yds with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    The main thing to watch when getting a barrel for a Mossberg 500 is that you get one for the right length magazine tube.

That and cost. I was kind of looking for a rifled barrel for the 20 ga Remington 870 Express that I bought 20 years ago for $209. A lone barrel seems to bring more than that these days, so I put that project back on the shelf for a few more years.

Robert

Mossberg 500 12 gauge cantilever with 7 Power Scope @100 yards.

Sabot- 4"

Forster - 8" groups, 5 shots each Lee key drive 7". Brand makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The main thing to watch when getting a barrel for a Mossberg 500 is that you get one for the right length magazine tube.

That and cost. I was kind of looking for a rifled barrel for the 20 ga Remington 870 Express that I bought 20 years ago for $209. A lone barrel seems to bring more than that these days, so I put that project back on the shelf for a few more years.

Robert
    I bought mine at a Cabela’s about 15 years for $110 as I recall. Times sure have changed.

I have a mossberg 500 with 2 barrels. One is a rifled barrel with a cantilevered scope mount. I didn’t have much luck with rifled slugs. Granted, I only tried 2 different brands, and it didn’t shoot either worth a crap. It shoots like a laser with sabot slugs, but even these are very brand specific. The best bet is keep trying until you find what it likes. Here is a target that I shot at 55 yards with different sabot slugs. Three shots each
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Well...I bit the boolit...so to speak. I found a cantilever slug barrel that had a little rust spot on it (I'll refinish it) and brought it home for $108. I thought I did pretty good. I have a spare 3x9 Bushnell that I'll put on it and give it a go with various ammo during the summer. Thanx for all who responded....this site is a fantastic source of information.

I appreciate you all.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I've been looking for a cantilever mount slug barrel for my 20 ga Maverick 88 for a couple of years. The ones I found cost more that I paid for the shotgun. Last week, I found Mossberg 500s at MidwayUSA with both barrels and a scope, for about what I have in the 88 with Aimpoint mount, scope, and rifled choke, so the 88 is now up for sale.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.