WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Wood gun cases: how do they mold the velvet or felt?

Wood gun cases: how do they mold the velvet or felt?

I got a really nice, collectible condition revolver, and I am tempted to make a proper wood case for it. The woodwork is not an issue, but I have no faintest idea of how to mold the felt or velvet liner to it. Any tips? O, how I regret now that I never reverse engineered those few cases that had passed through my hands!
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Master
    Adhesive and a vacuum bag?

I’ve heard of folks flocking them. Having no interest in them I haven’t really looked at them.

Boolit Buddy
    I cut pieces to fit and then used Mod Podge to glue the pieces in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem model 6 w cleaning rod bag clsd.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	312930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case open.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	312931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14 1-2 box open medium.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	312932

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Felt is very moldable when wet. That is how they make hats. An idea would be to wet and shape it, let it dry and then glue in place. I would check making felt hats for more information.

Look into flocking. It may be the ticket for some or all of your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsingleshot View Post
    I cut pieces to fit and then used Mod Podge to glue the pieces in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem model 6 w cleaning rod bag clsd.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	312930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case open.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	312931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14 1-2 box open medium.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	312932
    I like your work. Very nice! If you don't mind what models are the rifles? I think I recognize a Remington #6 but I'm not sure about the others. I'm very interested in single shot take downs. Nice!
    Last edited by Hannibal; 04-13-2023 at 05:11 PM.

I cut pieces to fit and then used Mod Podge to glue the pieces in.
    Thank you! This is great inspiration! I hope that I can accomplish something similar.

Greg:

I'll experiment with moist felt, to see how it works. Probably this is the way to go.

Bazoo:

Sounds interesting. I will have to see if I can procure that material they use for jewelry boxes. I have felt and velvet on hand, so I hoped I can use them.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Buddy
    Left gun is a Stevens 14-1/2 Little Scout. Center is indeed a Remington Model 6. The one one the right is a .25-20 WCF bolt action of my own design and my own making.

I didn't use felt. I bought some fuzzy green cloth at Walmart--it might be called beize? It was somewhat stretchy, which helped avoid wrinkles. The Stevens has black hyde of the exotic nauga in the lid because I ran out of green cloth. 8-( Hope to replace that some day.

Left gun is a Stevens 14-1/2 Little Scout. Center is indeed a Remington Model 6. The one one the right is a .25-20 WCF bolt action of my own design and my own making.

I didn't use felt. I bought some fuzzy green cloth at Walmart--it might be called beize? It was somewhat stretchy, which helped avoid wrinkles. The Stevens has black hyde of the exotic nauga in the lid because I ran out of green cloth. 8-( Hope to replace that some day.
    You should be very proud of your collection. I admire them greatly.

FWIW, here's how I did it for this case

I first laid out/arranged all of the items going in the case.

After I laid out & built the partitions, I put them in the case & scribed their positions - then glued any old felt where the various section floors would go as padding - leaving the areas where the partitions will go open for gluing them in place after they were covered with felt

I then made/fitted paper on the partition walls where I intended to glue the felt as templates for cutting the felt

After using the template(s) to cut the felt, I tested the fit, then glued the felt onto the partition walls - trimming the felt after the glue dried

I likewise fitted/glued felt to the inside of the case top

I then glued the partitions in place, cutting/fitting & glueing felt for the section floors in last

N.B, - The glue/felt must be left to dry in the case for at least one day, lest the fumes from the glue damage the finish whatever gun is placed within.

I also "aged" the felt for a more authentic vintage look

Last edited by pietro; 04-13-2023 at 08:49 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banner Sponsor

Awesome work!

T.Y.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Hannibal, I must have been cross-eyed when I identified the rifles in my post.

Lower left is my homemade .25-20 WCF bolt action. Center is the Stevens 14-1/2 Little Scout, and top right is the Remington Model 6.

Hannibal, I must have been cross-eyed when I identified the rifles in my post.

Lower left is my homemade .25-20 WCF bolt action. Center is the Stevens 14-1/2 Little Scout, and top right is the Remington Model 6.
    I apologize if I asked you before but did you pattern the 25-20 after anything in particular or is it a design of your own?

Again, very nice collection.

Boolit Master

Very instructive tutorial with photos.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I apologize if I asked you before but did you pattern the 25-20 after anything in particular or is it a design of your own?

Again, very nice collection.
    I incorporated ideas from '91 mauser, Sako extractor, High Standard bolt stop, Remington trigger, and my own dimensions for all parts. Killed a deer with it the fall of the year I made it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pietro, that case looks perfect for the period! Having all of the accessories in their own little spaces was a classic touch. Once again I regret that this forum doesn’t have a “LIKE” button… I’d be mashing the heck out of it for your post. Thanks too for taking the time to do a tutorial as you did it.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I incorporated ideas from '91 mauser, Sako extractor, High Standard bolt stop, Remington trigger, and my own dimensions for all parts. Killed a deer with it the fall of the year I made it.

Nice! Thanks for the explanation.