MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked!

I’ve eaten ground squirrels from the California forests. I thought they were gray squirrels because they were off the ground. Pretty good. My mom cooked them with navy beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    I’ve eaten ground squirrels from the California forests. I thought they were gray squirrels because they were off the ground. Pretty good. My mom cooked them with navy beans.
    Rodent is a much underutilized food source.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    When I was 18 I lived in villages in Central and South America. If they can get it in the cooking pot it was eaten. I have no idea what some of it was I just ate it.

Boolit Buddy
    Out two seasons ago for winter turkeys, I was camped out in a creek bed and started hearing a low scratching or huffing sound nearby. I was poking around quietly trying to figure out what it was and found a little tunnel. So I set up to wait. Before long, it's just past sunset and I hear, then see a large ground critter coming up the creek bed. Around the time I leveled my shotgun at this large raccoon, I realized the little tunnel I found had young in it. The large raccoon, that crept up until it was standing ten feet away looking at me, was the mother. Later I did some reading up on preparing raccoon, the word is they love it with sweet potato in the South. I keep telling my wife I'm going to bring some home to eat. But I went home empty-handed that day.

Banned
    I have a friend in Idaho and asked him his favorite wild game meat. He said Mountain Lion. I was surprised, thought he would have said Moose or Elk.

I've made snapping turtle soup and it's not too bad. Worse part is cleaning the turtle. Also use to make groundhog stew using the younger groudhogs. Love frog legs. Been told house cats are very tasty.

Boolit Master
    When I lived in Fl. we use to eat quite a bit of soft shell turtle (smoked) when we would cook out for a gathering, And yes cleaning them was a small chore but I learned ti cut around the rim of the shell with a pair of loping cutters (my dad called them hawk billed cutters) & lift the shell off like a lid.

Vendor Sponsor

As a 9 to 14 year old I ate a good amount of gray squirrel. hasen squirrel was my favorite
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I remember an article by John Lachuk about surviving on small game.
    He wrote that “Squirrel is Fare Deluxe- whether you’re lost or not.”
    I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I have a friend in Idaho and asked him his favorite wild game meat. He said Mountain Lion. I was surprised, thought he would have said Moose or Elk.

I've made snapping turtle soup and it's not too bad. Worse part is cleaning the turtle. Also use to make groundhog stew using the younger groudhogs. Love frog legs. Been told house cats are very tasty.
    I'm not surprised. A lot of it depends on what you are making. Elk meat is kind of bland, but the fat is really good, and it's one of the few wild animals I've killed that had a lot of fat marbled in the meat. Elk steaks are one of the best steaks I've ever had, right up there with any buffalo or cow. I've never tried Moose steaks. When it comes to roasts, or stew, or fajitas, tacos, or anything like that where you want flavor, I've not found anything better than black bear. The only reason bear steaks aren't as good as Elk is you have to fully cook them. I suspect mountain lion is the same way. It probably has really good flavor meat, but probably not the greatest steaks. When it comes to brats, sausage, etc. it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference, although I'd have to say black bear is the best, I'd rather not use that delicious meat for it. I'd have to say super common whitetails are the best for brats, great tasting meat, plenty of it, and plenty of knoty muscle groups that are best ground. The very best jerky I've ever had was black bear, by a pretty wide margin, but I'm not sure if that's the bear, or I just did a great job that time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    When I lived in Fl. we use to eat quite a bit of soft shell turtle (smoked) when we would cook out for a gathering, And yes cleaning them was a small chore but I learned ti cut around the rim of the shell with a pair of loping cutters (my dad called them hawk billed cutters) & lift the shell off like a lid.
    Good information, thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    As a 9 to 14 year old I ate a good amount of gray squirrel. hasen squirrel was my favorite
    I love squirrel. Cottontail rabbits are tasty too!

When I lived in Knoxville TN I had acquired a Paul Prudhomme cookbook, which had a recipe for squirrel and rabbit gumbo. I took it to work to feed my co-workers once. They all liked it. Use enough cayenne pepper and almost anything tastes pretty good.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Menu for this week end is Whistle pig, domestic rabbit, hamburgers & hot dogs. All smoked on the smoker. Great thing about a smoker is you can't get buisy with Honey Dooo's because you have to tinker in the loading room & keep an eye on the fire, Hee, Hee!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12