Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build 458 mag

Boolit Buddy

New build 458 mag

I had a nice Mauser 98 and had it built into a 458 Win mag, I loaded some 420 grain cast bullets with IMR 4166, which is close enough to the IMR 4064 load I was using.
    The old Mauser has a 24 inch barrel, along with a Williams receiver sight and is drilled and tapped for scope if I want to add one later.
    After some sight adjustment, I shot it out to 100 yds, it shot right to point of aim and made small rocks out of big rocks real fast.
    The chrono said 1940 fps out of my Super Express Model 70 in 458, I am expecting a little more speed out of the Mauser 24 inch tube.
    I would be happy with an even 2000 fps, but 1940 fps is enough for anything that walks around my neck of the woods.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

I use my 458 Lott MRC 1999 anti Rhino rifle to keep Rhinos off the beach, works great, since I built it, have not had one Rhino on the beach. I use the 300, 400, 500 and the RCBS 525, been a while since I have shot it, no Rhinos and all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FD4925A1-D26A-4B65-B838-D01088CFF3CB.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I use my 458 Lott MRC 1999 anti Rhino rifle to keep Rhinos off the beach, works great, since I built it, have not had one Rhino on the beach. I use the 300, 400, 500 and the RCBS 525, been a while since I have shot it, no Rhinos and all.
    I agree, since I had the 458 mag built there have been no sightings of ephalumps or woozels anywhere.

Boolit Master
    Lacking in Rhino’s, perhaps there’s some armadillos that need dispatching?

Boolit Grand Master

I love making gravel out of rocks with my 458. You gotta try it on Chucks and bunnies, it turns them inside out.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Have had a 458 Win Mag since 1975. One of my favorite calibers. Shoot a lot of cast at various velocities.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    I had a nice Mauser 98 and had it built into a 458 Win mag, I loaded some 420 grain cast bullets with IMR 4166, which is close enough to the IMR 4064 load I was using.
    The old Mauser has a 24 inch barrel, along with a Williams receiver sight and is drilled and tapped for scope if I want to add one later.
    After some sight adjustment, I shot it out to 100 yds, it shot right to point of aim and made small rocks out of big rocks real fast.
    The chrono said 1940 fps out of my Super Express Model 70 in 458, I am expecting a little more speed out of the Mauser 24 inch tube.
    I would be happy with an even 2000 fps, but 1940 fps is enough for anything that walks around my neck of the woods.

I tried busting rocks with the 98 Mauser 458, after getting a ranging shot at 200 yds with the open sights I was easily hitting my target multiple times.
    I know the 458 was not designed for that distance, but it sure makes an impression when you get it right.

I like shooting off hand at my gong (165 yds) with 450 gr FN's @ 1,600 fps. Rem 700 Williams Reciever sight.

Boolit Master
    I do similar stuff just not with much velocity with my rebarreled and sporterized Siamese Mauser. It also has a Williams receiver aperture sight, but is not tapped for scope mounts. It uses the original stock and has about 3/4# of lead poured into the forend and about a pound in a hole in the buttstock. It was that way when I got it. It still kicks more than I care for even with 405 grain Lyman 457193s. If I had an actual use for it I'd have my gunsmith put it in a McMillan composite stock, pillar bedded and free floated and tap it for scope bases. I did have the action glassed in to add strength to the action area. GF

Boolit Master
    Have any of you tried black powder loads. I have toyed with the idea of a bolt BPCR gun for a while and the .458mag seems like it would be a perfect platform.

Yes, I know it would not qualify for BPCR matches. I don't compete so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Have any of you tried black powder loads. I have toyed with the idea of a bolt BPCR gun for a while and the .458mag seems like it would be a perfect platform.

Yes, I know it would not qualify for BPCR matches. I don't compete so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk
    Paul Matthews loaded the 458 mag with BP and said it closely approximated a 45-90 or thereabouts. I believe the chapter is in his book about paper patching.

Boolit Buddy

540 grain cast for the 458 WM

I picked a few of these up and I am going to try them on spring bear here in BC, 54 grains of IMR 3031 should put the lights out fast on the big fuzzies around here.

Anyone with these dinosaur-caliber rifles using 5744 for reduced loads, but at velocities that are still hunting-capable on non-dinos (e.g., deer, hogs)?

I have a 404 Jeff, that’s why I’m asking.

Boolit Master
    This thread has me drifting back into a project box that has enough in it to put together one of these in a M70. I have choice of stock between H-S block/carbon and a double cross bolt walnut, brass, dies, pretty much everything I need except the time and steered motivation. Some of the thoughts brought back were of the Winchester chamber throat being very long and big long projectiles were the best for any kind of respectable accuracy. I really wanted to lean into it with black powder and something running a patched 480-530 being launched. I am still hanging in there with stiff Marlin level loads in my 1895's and still hanging onto the some belted monsters now and then. Was thinking maybe joy found somewhere between a Trapdoor and an artillery piece in felt recoil. Also if anyone may have one and remembers having the barrel/rec out, my barrel at 6 o'clock has a rectangular cut several inches forward of chamber with solder remnants. Wondering if this was a factory double lug thing or somebody after trying to save a walnut stock? If not factory I have no problems fabricating and soldering and bedding. Seems like a good move.

Boolit Buddy

540 grain cast in the 458

I launched a few of the 540 grain cast out of my Model 70 458, 1720 fps over the chronograph and it was "pleasant" to shoot.
    At 80 yds, it shoots about 1.5 inches to the right of dead center, I think I will leave it alone as it seems to shoot just fine.
    I hope to poke a big hole in one of these big black bears that roam these parts.

Boolit Master
    Does your Model 70 have a forward lower lug on barrel?

Boolit Master

The best entertainment value for such a thing, IMO, is achieved with a .34" or greater meplat, a launch speed of over 1600 fps, and a water-filled milk jug for your target. The impact can best be described as a detonation, and if the jug is shot on top of loose soil, the displacement is so violent that it will clear out that soil to about a one foot radius.

I call it "making fogbanks".
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

The 458 can be loaded down with cast and will give good service on bigger critters. However to work well with stout jacketed loads, requires a heavy rifle to mitigate the free recoil a bit.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

The .458 winnie is pretty pleasant even in a lighter (for caliber) bolt gun with factory spec loads, and is kindof 'lacking', but it has worked somewhat all these years even so. If the rifle is built right, the little .458 recoil is not even noticed in my experience, even for target fun. Got rid of one I had about 20 years ago because I never really use bolt guns. Ran the last box of Winchester Super-X 510's through it. Now, there is a caveat...if a rifle is not built right, it might tend to be downright unpleasant. I tried one that a guy had made on an old Mauser action one day and after about 20-25 rounds I never wanted to look at it again. I kept thinking that maybe it was just me, but no, it was the stock, LOP, on top of a few other things, mostly it being a typical American stock that Weatherby would be proud of. It made THAT much difference. The LOTT steps it up a bit, but after owning one of those, although it shot well, the magic was not there. I like more frontal area on a blue nose, and my .500 does it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Does your Model 70 have a forward lower lug on barrel?
    Yes, it does have the forward recoil lug on the barrel.
    I took it apart (carefully) to check it out when I bought it, it's very stoutly built for the purpose in which it was made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast