RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Library Guns

Boolit Master

Library Guns

Over the last few years I have been stopping at Yard Sales looking for old hunting and fishing supplies
    Not only to use , but also to resell or put on a shelf to look at

But this afternoon I found 2 "Books" to put on the book shelf in the living room

The first is a Dictionary , dated 1960 and has Property of Toledo Public Schools with a "Sold" stamp
    The cover is in great shape
    But a lot of the pages inside are ripped or written on

The second is a Atlas of The World and again has Property of Toledo Public Schools with a "Sold" stamp
    Again the cover is in great shape
    But the students ruined most of the maps

I got these 2 in a big box of books for $1

So I had a idea
    In the movies you see guns or other treasures hidden in books

I plan on gluing a large number of both books pages together

In the Atlas , I checked and there is plenty of room
    A 36 cal derringer ( CVA ) that looks old and small powder flask
    I figure I can inlet areas to hold those , a RWS cap tin and a few round balls
    NO Powder or caps will be included

My lady just laughed and told me I need to inlet the Dictionary for 3 FAKE sticks of Dynamite with a length of fuse

Has anyone else made up an other fun gag items to put on the shelf ??

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

i have a store bought one, has a little black powder single shot in it. think uberti put them out back when
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a cool project!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    As a retired school teacher I would normally have a hard time bringing myself to destroy a good book, but if the damage is already done, I’d jump on that project. My shooting buddy and I set up for a gun show two weeks ago and he found the early Ruger Standard 22 in a custom made box made to look like a leather bound book... and a very nice one at that. He says it will look good on his nightstand.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

We did a couple for friends. Easiest way we found was to glue the pages together first. You want a fairly stiff glue. then layout the cut outs. Drill holes in all the corners for blade clearance. A jig saw with a fine bade will work but a band saw is better. Cut in from the outside and fill the cut in. We lined them with felt. You want the best cut as sanding and finishing dont give as good finish. Only do a few pages at a time and clamp good while they cure, look at your glue for the working time and work accordingly.

Boolit Master

I watch the libraries' discard shelf for large books, suitable for making hiding places. Last one was a bio of a president.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a friend who kept his "bump-in-the-evening" house pistol in such a book. Kept it on the stand by his easy chair while watching TV. Outta sight comfort.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if they ever made a book big enough for a short barreled model 870 12 gauge.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

A hermit buddy of mine has a copy of The Odyssey cut out for a S&W .44 Special…..
    He says “Ain’t nobody reaching for THAT book.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

In my younger days, I cut Emily Post's Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage for a Bayard 1908. I recall it being very difficult to cut the glued stacked pages. You are essentially inletting a block of wood.

Edit to correct the book title.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 04-13-2023 at 07:17 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sounds like a neat project.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up book box's, they can be had from ebay.
    A wooden box made to look like a very old book.
    Lots of room inside for storing things, partitions can be glued in the hold small items.

Remember the western with Robert Mitchum posing as a preacher- with a cut out Bible holding a Remington derringer?
    As a kid I thought- “Well, he’s going to Hell.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have the pages glued
    As the first book is a sort of old west idea
    I have the idea to try sculpting the cut outs to have a grip on everything
    So I will be trying to do a exact cut out
    But have a spot on either side of like the powder flask to pull it out

LOL I am planning to do some of the rough cuts with my router
    Then use a Wood Chisel to make the cuts for the fine detail

BUT before I start cutting
    I need to pick the felt , so I can figure the perfect sizes for a snug slip fit

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I wonder if they ever made a book big enough for a short barreled model 870 12 gauge.
    That would require a coffee table book made for a BIIIG coffee table!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

A lot of pattern cutting with a real sharp Exacto knife. The cutter pattern form must fit the book and cut so you can cut three of four pages at a time, is slow going without a cutting press that can do multiple pages at a time. Did an old book years ago, swore, never again. Eventually tossed the book.
    They probably are put together from blank pages then, cut, pressed with the spine of an old book glued on the edge.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I taught school fo ra few years and my wife taught for over 30. In regards to the "Dictionary" - I don't know. Maybe you shouldn't do anything to destroy it. It's soon going to be a collector's item. Kids, today, don't even know what a Dictionary is, much less how to use one - nor are many able to put things in alphabetical order. Plus . if is a 1960 edition, just think about how many words are in it that have now been "banned". Tsk! Tsk! Kids are not longer even taught how to write cursive. Yep - that book may become a valued treasure!

Sounds like a fun project! Could be a very practical idea as well to hide a small revolver or semi-auto to have access to "just in case". Hope you'll post some photos!

I wonder if you could chisel out the profile without gluing the pages together? First cut a template in a thin plywood flat, and then clamp the template and book solid together with a couple of f-clamps. Then work the profile over with a wood chisel, following the template. Since the non-glued cutouts can be removed along the way, it should be possible to "shave" the pages to a smooth finish.
    Cap'n Morgan

I use some of those 'decorative' leather cover wooden books from Hobby Lobby and have some laying about in different places, the drawing room and library. I keep different ammo in them, so if I have to go for my Winchester 73', I just go to 'Tess of the Urbervilles', or if my .357 Bisley, then I got to 'War and Peace', and so on....and I think I have a .38 S&W Victory model in the 'Hound of the Baskervilles' up there somewhere...and another in 'Emma' in one of the guest rooms...

Boolit Master

Glue all the pages together and leave the covers loose then use a jig saw to cut the pages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast