Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine follower for Marlin lever guns - 10c plastic rubbish on a $1200 gun

Magazine follower for Marlin lever guns - 10c plastic rubbish on a $1200 gun

Had a complete jam in my Marlin 'cowboy' 45 Colt during a competition last weekend. Upon stripping the mag assembly, I found an orange plastic follower completely disintergrated and the gun useless. Brownells in Oz sell an aluminium replacement for $AU60 but I think I can make one from industrial nylon which would be self lubricating against steel.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Take a look at Beartooth Mercantile under Followers. They sell them that fit 30-30, 35 rem, 45 colt.

Boolit Master
    If you have a lathe, it's easy and takes little time to turn a steel one. I replaced the plastic one in my Rossi 45 colt before I ever shot it. I can't figure out why companies started using plastic followers, other than maybe the bright color plastic is a sort of easily seen "safety" feature to show the magazine is empty, or that plastic is cheaper than steel. Steel followers were used in millions of Winchester and Marlin lever guns, for many years, with no problems.

Boolit Master
    Money, parts cost, profit!

Boolit Master
    I believe that they are made from zytel, ie industrial nylon.

I’ve heard of problems with wear, but I’ve never experienced it. Have some spares in aluminum and stainless, but think grit wearing the polymer follower is preferred to wearing the magazine tube.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Had a complete jam in my Marlin 'cowboy' 45 Colt during a competition last weekend. Upon stripping the mag assembly, I found an orange plastic follower completely disintergrated and the gun useless. Brownells in Oz sell an aluminium replacement for $AU60 but I think I can make one from industrial nylon which would be self lubricating against steel.

I have a teeny Unimat metal lathe, and made a follower from, of all things, the aluminum piece which is part of the Dillon tool-head holder ! My Marlin's fell out, and I could not get it back in to stay. I was in dire need, and didn't use the Dillon tool-head holder (for 550b) anyway. I did the entire job empirically -- no measuring at all, as I first turned the front to make a comfortable fit to magazine tube, and then reversed unit in the chuck. I turned all down to what was a nice, slightly snug fit to spring. Then, at junction, I turned a groove roughly 1/8" deeper, to hold the bend at spring end captive. By golly -- it worked/works!
    Just a thought... (For future projects I bought some 1/2" aluminum rod stock off an on-line auction site -- but, the Dillon aluminum piece works for stock!)
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 04-13-2023 at 07:56 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have an Ace Hardware or a Home Depot or Lowe’s home supply, you can probably get the round stock you need quick and cheap. Oh yeah, you might also check Tractor Supply Co as well.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If you have an Ace Hardware or a Home Depot or Lowe’s home supply, you can probably get the round stock you need quick and cheap. Oh yeah, you might also check Tractor Supply Co as well.
    Froggie
    Froggie -- for what it's worth, my first choice for aluminum round stock was in fact Tractor Supply: nada! Then, Lowe's -- also none in stock. Three was not the charm -- at Ace Hardware -- so -- after finding none on Amazon, went to another on-line Auction site -- sorry, I believe this forum has rules against providing the link -- but here's a photo of what I found/ordered, and if OP wishes, perhaps do a search.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rod.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	312916 For what it's worth -- maybe just in my neck of the woods -- I was quite disappointed that no local vendors carried it.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I got a steel follower for my Rossi R92 at the same time I got a lighter trigger spring for it from Steve's Gunz. I just checked and they have Marlin followers - $24.95.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I got a steel follower for my Rossi R92 at the same time I got a lighter trigger spring for it from Steve's Gunz. I just checked and they have Marlin followers - $24.95.
    Unfortunately, a single gun screw or any small gun part requires an import permit from Australian customs. These darn terrorists will use anything to do their deeds!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, a single gun screw or any small gun part requires an import permit from Australian customs. These darn terrorists will use anything to do their deeds!
    Well, might qualify as a small child's thimble, eh?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m sure I would remember if there was something plastic in my 45/70 Marlin from the eighties. I’ll be sure to pay attention next time I take it down that far. Too bad you had to find out about it during a competition.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m sure I would remember if there was something plastic in my 45/70 Marlin from the eighties. I’ll be sure to pay attention next time I take it down that far. Too bad you had to find out about it during a competition.
    You can see it through the loading gate when unloaded.

Boolit Master
    steves gunz is probably where brownells gets they're followers

I bought a dimpled machined aluminum follower off E-bay a few years ago for my 336 35Rem...I think I paid about $14 for it....I've been quite happy with it. I purchased it in RED so I can see visually when the rifle is empty when looking through the gate.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Reading this makes me appreciate having the tools, skill and experience to make or repair almost anything I need or want. The only thing I lack is the energy and ambition to get started.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Yes the reason for the plastic is so it doesn't rust. Mag Tubes don't get cleaned often enough.

Incidentally Heating the tube slightly and coating it with Frog Lube inside and out and then wiping off the excess will make it virtually Rust Proof. I use it on all my Steel Guns as a Rust preventative. Heating the part opens the pores in the metal so the FL can penetrate adn stay in there.

JUST DON'T Rely on it for Lubrication !!!! It will let you down when the gun gets hot. Amsoil 20-50 Racing Oil for oil, and Vaseline for grease. I have been doing this for years and none of my guns have any rust on them.

If you are going to make a follower, Use 303 Stainless. It won't rust and if you get the dimensions right it won't hurt the Mag Tube at all.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately, a single gun screw or any small gun part ...
    It's not a gun part until it's put into a gun. A screw is a screw and it could be a part for your lathe, yoiur car, or Momma's cake mixer. These are just machine parts.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

For a simple part like a round follower, a drill press or even a drill motor is all the lathe you need to make that part.
    Of course, you also need a file.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    You can see it through the loading gate when unloaded.
    the main purpose of the excercise I think ----just another lawyer inspired "safety feature"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast