Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locktite with pipe threads

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Locktite with pipe threads

People are using Locktite for so many different things now, that I was wondering if it would work to seal pipe threads. I just have one to do.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the side benefits of pipe dope is it helps to keep the pipe thread free so it can be disassembled later. Thread locker will seal the threads but disassembly will be impossible.

Boolit Man
    Loctite was never designed to be a thread sealer and will not work as one. It is a thread glue to resist or prevent the thread from becoming unscrewed.

Boolit Master
    Teflon based pipe dope should work for most applications on iron or copper pipe. If potable water, Teflon tape should be used

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

LocTite 592...

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...ctite_592.html

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Assuming you mean Loctite red or blue thread locker, I wouldn't use it on pipes. As long as your threads are good, tape does fine. I'll often both tape and dope in industrial plumbing, but that's just to be 100% sure. I mostly use tape alone at home. Blue Monster tape and dope is the good stuff. Regular Teflon works fine too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    People are using Locktite for so many different things now, that I was wondering if it would work to seal pipe threads. I just have one to do.
    LOCTITE products are great if you use the correct product for that application. Pipe threads are no different. You need to use the correct product for pipe threads.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...-sealants.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Loctite(R) is a very expensive way to buy stuff that others also sell ......the pipe honey or pipe cream ,so called ,is available in large containers from other makers at a fraction of the price.....so if you have a big project ,buy a big container ......the stuff lasts for many years ,so just store away what you dont use.

Pipe sealants are generally designed for things which will be placed back into service immediately also. Loctite? Generally not. And someone will curse you for eternity if you pick the wrong Loctite.

It will probably work.
    However; everyone will be pointing and laughing at you if you ever have to take it back apart.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Believe it or not, I have never been able to find pipe dope for sale over here. They have always used some fibers, maybe jute. I see it for sale. They wrap the threads with it and screw it together. Maybe that’s why I have a leak today, less than ten years since it’s installation. I guess I’ll try a lot of Teflon tape. The male threads are brass and the female threads are old galvanized pipe.

I'm a big fan of teflon tape.
    Get the thicker, more expensive roll. The thin cheap stuff works, but can be rather frustrating
    since you have to wind it around the pipe more times.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    +1
    teflon tape for water pipe
    brass steel pvc copper don't over tighten,

but I don't use teflon on solvents

orange teflon tape will work for propane
    but the threads have to be perfect
    and there are few perfect threads.

Teflon does not seal freon, teflon is a fluorocarbon.
    There is only one thread goop that works on freons
    Loctite 554 at $20 an ounce
    (The competition works on freon threads until it hardens)
    Loctite 554 does not lock threads
    and we don't like to find threads on refrigeration besides.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Believe it or not, I have never been able to find pipe dope for sale over here. They have always used some fibers, maybe jute. I see it for sale. They wrap the threads with it and screw it together. Maybe that’s why I have a leak today, less than ten years since it’s installation. I guess I’ll try a lot of Teflon tape. The male threads are brass and the female threads are old galvanized pipe.
    I always forget you are in France. These are tapered threads, correct? If you can get Teflon tape, that stuff works. It doesn't take a ton, about 3-4 wraps is perfect with blue monster, maybe 5-6 if your tape is thin, then the pipe has to be sufficiently tight to crush the threads. The tape is only sealing the very tops of the threads in an ideal case. Make sure your threads aren't in bad shape. No amount of sealer will fix bad threads.

Boolit Master
    We used to use the Loctite pipe sealer at work but it didn't perform well for us.

Re-do's and field service re-visits from repairs leaks was critical for us. We switched to Fel-Pro to eliminate leaks. I've been retired for 13 years and that's all I use.

https://fedpro.com/collections/pipe-thread-sealants

Blue Loctite will work fine. I worked for a national company that serviced fryer oil equipment used in the food service industry. We exclusively used blue Loctite on 3/4" thru 1-1/2" pipe threads.

Boolit Master
    Pipe threads for water line run a tap and die over them cleaning up and then put it together with tape.

Growing up on farm I have use black tape, Teflon any things else to get by. Most of these tape shrink around chemicals (gasoline) so they are a short term fix. But in most cases worked for a little while enough to get the hay in etc.

If the engineering behind the design is for it to be sealed with compressed fiber, is the thread geometry compatible with using a liquid or paste? If it is compatible then why not use the last of an old can of solvent based enamel?

In the early 70's my 2nd job was running batches at an epoxy adhesives plant. The owner showed me that trick for tapered pipe threads. He generally used an old can of spray paint.

Rector seal works on steel, steel to brass, copper to brass, and even PVC if careful.
    NeverSieze also works- you might find it at a tractor dealership over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Where I worked as a pipe fitter, Teflon tape was only used in potable water service, and with plastic threaded fittings. The consensus was that the Teflon tape did not provide enough friction to keep the joints tight when used on metal threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast