MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Lead gloves

Boolit Buddy

Lead gloves

Are they worth messing with?
    A scrapper I know told me he has quite a lot of them.

Boolit Master
    Pure lead flat over sheaths in the shape of a hand? Or something else?

Pictures would help

Boolit Master
    Probably something to keep lead off of your hands while working with it. I use whatever work glove I have at hand usually and welding gloves when working with the hot stuff. Harbor freight work gloves are pretty good, The Hardy line of gloves. Cheap enough that when they get a hole you toss them and you have gotten your monies worth. No matter what I use I still wash my hands well before eating or anything else.

Boolit Buddy
    Apologies for my lack of clarity in the opening post.
    A scrap metal guy I buy from says that he has a large number of 'used lead gloves', The type worn by radiologic technicians. I don't have any more information than that, unfortunately.

Boolit Master
    Might see what others have had to say about aprons used by the techs. Do an archive search for other threads.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t=x-ray+aprons

Boolit Man
    Lead gloves is a generic term for protective gloves worn by X-ray technicians. In years past they did have lead. But considering the EPA stance on lead, The manufactures make them lead free now. Your scrappers gloves may or may not contain lead. The gloves are usually vinyl on the outside and an inner layer of cloth. Try cutting one apart and see what you get before you commit to buying something you may not be able to use.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Lead gloves is a generic term for protective gloves worn by X-ray technicians. In years past they did have lead. But considering the EPA stance on lead, The manufactures make them lead free now. Your scrappers gloves may or may not contain lead. The gloves are usually vinyl on the outside and an inner layer of cloth. Try cutting one apart and see what you get before you commit to buying something you may not be able to use.
    Thank you very much. I think I'll pass on these . Certainly appreciate your response

Most X-Ray tech protective gear has a .5 mm Lead sheathing.
    Not necessarily as Lead foil, but more like powdered Lead mixed in soft plastic and made into a vinyl cloth.
    The aprons & such look and feel like a sheet of thick vinyl--- but it is real heavy for the size of it.
    As far as salvaging that little bit of Lead from them isn't really worth the trouble.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by long_arm View Post
    Thank you very much. I think I'll pass on these . Certainly appreciate your response
    I get my gloves from my welding supplier , work great and have the dexterity to pick up (HOT) lead if I miss the pot !/Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have welding gloves, but I tend to use normal leather work gloves while casting boolits or pouring ingots with a ladle. They are more comfortable and give me more dexterity. I keep the welding gloves at hand for really hot stuff.

I don’t think the lead gloves are interesting to wear casting, but if there is lead inside them and the price is right, maybe you can tear them down for the lead inside.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I have welding gloves, but I tend to use normal leather work gloves while casting boolits or pouring ingots with a ladle. They are more comfortable and give me more dexterity. I keep the welding gloves at hand for really hot stuff.

I don’t think the lead gloves are interesting to wear casting, but if there is lead inside them and the price is right, maybe you can tear them down for the lead inside.
    Pretty sure that was his idea but it just seems like way to much work for way to little gain.

Boolit Buddy
    I scrapped about 50lbs of lead blankets one time used for radiation shielding from the shipyards. It was a woolen lead mixed with some filler. When I melted it down I lost about 30% of the weight. Lead was pure besides that. Very soft.