RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model Cannon Seminar

Model Cannon Seminar

Last edited by The Double D; 02-11-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: updated poster
    Douglas, Ret.

Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like it would be great fun, wish I lived closer.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

That sounds like a day at the range!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Are you talking about this type of cannon...
    3/4 water pipe 16" long mounted using T fitting. Projectiles are 12 guage hulls rim rim removed cut to 1" and filled with brick mortar mix.
    Mike
    Last edited by missionary5155; 04-04-2009 at 10:32 AM.

That thing looks more like a zip gun!!! I love it! Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings
    Are you talking about this type of cannon...
    3/4 water pipe 16" long mounted using T fitting. Projectiles are 12 guage hulls rim rim removed cut to 1" and filled with brick mortar mix.
    Mike
    No that thing is a pipe bomb waiting to explode. If you brought that to our shoot we would make you put it back in you car and give you a polite talk about why it is so dangerous.

Then we would take you down to the firing line and introduce you to proper model cannons.

Cast Bullet Calendar cannons

When you left the range you would be grinning ear to ear and probably carrying your new model cannon with you.
    Douglas, Ret.

Your right!! It does look like a pipe bomb!! Now I REALLY wanna see it fire!!!!......... From a safe distance........

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Double D View Post
    No that thing is a pipe bomb waiting to explode.
    Now that's funny, but true. It is a pipe bomb, and it's a accident waiting to happen. If your trusting that thing not to explode, you must have someone watching over you.

Nice pictures by the way, some pretty nice machining as well. Looks like lots of fun.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Well thank you The Double D !
    It is a 16 " water pipe and Black powder is an explosive... so I recon it is a pipe bomb being detonated under controlled cicumstances.
    I guess we should be completely honest and refer to all black powder muzzle loading apparatus as such.
    My dad was a muzzle loader and I have been all my life. During the course of those 58 years I hope I have learned a little about building and proofing muzzle loaders. I do know what this "PIPE BOMB" has been proofed to and I know what load I fire it at.
    I totally agree a water pipe is not the best material.... but I have never seen one of mine explode, bulge, split, or deform in any way with the charge I use after PROOFING.
    I also own REAL purpose built model cannon barrels. They are all in Illinois. Sometimes I just want to go out to the desert and launch a projectile at a boulder 100 yards down range.
    Mike God Bless you

I'm not looking for an argument. I just want folks to know about our little club Cannon shoot.
    Last edited by The Double D; 02-11-2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Douglas, Ret.

Mike -
    Let me add a few words of information about the construction of cannons using water pipe.

Pipe is deisgned to withstand perhaps 100psi give or take 50. It is rolled together from a flat strip and welded.

It is not designed to take the pressure from firing blackpowder nor (MORE IMPORTANTLY) does it withstand the repeated pressure spikes (stressing the steel) nor does the welded area withstand the corrosive effects (over a long period of time) of the products of combustion entering the pores of the steel (where welded).

When it fails it does so without warning. The metal just gets stressed enough times to work harden it and it gets brittle. IF you're VERY lucky it may just bulge, if not ....

I am speaking from the standpoint of having observed a cannon explode. It is a life-changing experience. The cannon in question was 4" in diameter, cast bronze, professionally built and 'just firing blanks'. Some 20 or so pounds of bronze were instantly gone! Several pieces tore though the turf for some 70 paces. Most fortunately the 5 of us were standing BEHIND the cannon. If anyone was to have been beside it - it would have made national news.

Proper design rules-of-thumb can easily be found published by two large organizations that hold regular competitions - rules that keep folks safe from poor design and firing practices developed over many years and many good and some bad experiences. Take a good look at the American Artillary Association and the North-South Skirmish Association websites.

Thanks,
    Tim K
    Last edited by trk; 02-11-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Please the advise given here..

Missonary,

Listen closely too the advise given here by double D & TRK, both men have plenty of experience between them. You may want to consider visting a site deicated to Blackpowder cannons & mortars. Here is the web site www.GBOcannons.com. good luck and be safe..

P.S. If you want to play with cannons & Mortars this is the place to go.. Here a sample of what you will see.

El Caz

Moderator Emeritus

Mike, As one who made pipe guns as a kid it looks like a lot of fun. As a pipefitter who has dug up many leaks from split seams it makes me cringe. Seams can split from poor welds or just because. They are generally the weakest portion of the pipe. Be careful, please.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Mike, As one who made pipe guns as a kid it looks like a lot of fun. As a pipefitter who has dug up many leaks from split seams it makes me cringe. Seams can split from poor welds or just because. They are generally the weakest portion of the pipe. Be careful, please.
    I decided I was wrong last night. The seam is the weakest portion of welded pipe, the threads are the weakest in threaded pipe and can separate, crack or fail anytime.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Mortor

El Cazador:

That is some handsome work.

I took one look and the sounds of Aura Lea were waifing thru my head.

Did you cast the cannon or make it on a lath with welded built up steel?

Revolution howitzer

NewEnglandcharters,

The barrel was lathed 4"inch of steel rod, wheels and carraige were weld built.

El Caz

Boolit Mold

when I first saw this I thought the owner was joking, but I see from his posts he
    honestly believes he is conducting himself safely, Sadly there are many news reports here in the states about people making home made cannon out of pipe and the reports are about themselves or others being killed or injured by their creations.

proofing may show that it has held for the time being, but the stresses being
    exerted on this welded tube wil cause it to have a catastofic failure it may not
    happen right away you may get away with dozens of firings, but at some point
    it will fail, the owner has been warned by several people of this unsafe pratice,
    he may have years experiance but the number of people who have warned him
    including my self probably have over 150 years combined experiance shooting
    cannon, besides shooting cannon I have an associate degree in applied science in Gun Smithing,
    class of 1981 Trinidad State Jr College, I will say this to the owner please send me your name and address,
    I would like to take out a life
    insurance policy on you........ soon or a latter I will collect.

El caz' cannon was made by Domminick Carpenter http://blackpowder-cannons.com/index.htm. Don't go to that site with out a towel to clean up the drool.
    Douglas, Ret.

Since Double D Has given Carpenters Artillery a plug

I must say that for your Blackpowder Mortars and Cannons needs Carpenters artillery is the man to see.

Read some of these and you'll throw that pipe away

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...hp?tid/192442/