Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Speed Loading 45 Colt With Lee loader

Speed Loading 45 Colt With Lee loader

Speed loading black powder with a Lee loader is a cinch and safe too. The biggest time consumer when using a Lee Loader is placing cases in and out of the decapping chamber. I happen to decap at the range, clean my brass and then size. Once sized, I use a priming tool. This is where the speed loading comes in. I now take castrating bands and place them in a reloading block. Just so happens the band is a fit in the block. Now, you can place a primed case in the block and the cavity created by the band prevents any contact with the primer and loading block. Once your block is “charged” with the castrating bands, place all cases in the block and bell, moving quickly from case to case. Insert a bullet and do the same with bullet seating then on to crimping. For me, it’s a faster process than handling one case at a time in a press.

Boolit Man
    I'd be careful with the Lee Loader when loading black powder, especially if you're compressing the powder. Ian from "Forgotten Weapons" had a catastrophic detonation when he let the magazine follower on his Yellowboy reproduction fall free and it caused a magazine tube detonation. His hypothesis of what happened was that the impact of the magazine follower was enough to cause the powder in the casing to compress to the point where it crushed the anvil in the primer from the inside. Granted this might be a one in a million mishap, but I'd be a bit hesitant to hammer down on the projectile if I was compressing the powder charge. Best of luck to you with your future endeavors.

Here's the video if you're interested. https://youtu.be/YDuoj7KR-CA
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Boolit Master
    ^^ And this is Due to the Lee Loader??? Somehow??
    My First question is "were the primer Holes Enlarged"??

Boolit Buddy
    Ian said 'primer impact' due to follower acceleration in not full mag tube.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    ^^ And this is Due to the Lee Loader??? Somehow??
    My First question is "were the primer Holes Enlarged"??
    Questions:
    Is the diameter of the normal primer flash holder larger or smaller than the granules of the powder that Ian was using?
    Could the pressure of a compressed load have broken granules so that something entered the flash hole?
    the original Henry rifles were rim fire. Not sure if there were any detonations with original rim fire Henry rifles.

This has nothing to do with a lee loader or compacted powder inside of the case. Simple primer detonation . It happens to those not careful with the 1860 Henry.

A turret press can do the same (fast) if you. Prepare the cases first.