Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What are the odds?

What are the odds?

Two rifles built consecutively on the Marlin Ballard line 147 years ago, and today reside in the same gun safe together?
    I was discussing early first year JM Marlin Ballard oddities with a friend tonight, and as usual I ended up at my gun bench taking guns apart to check features. He had asked if I noticed the first year Ballards had an oddball breech block, and firing pin system. Honestly after nearly 4 decades of collecting Marlin Ballard rifles I hadn't noticed the difference in firing pins, and firing pin screws. So I dug out 5 first year 1875 Ballard rifles, and dropped the breech blocks out of all of them one at a time.
    In the process of checking them, and wanting to see when changes might have been made, I checked serial numbers. To my surprise I noticed the first JM Marlin Ballard #4 Perfection I'd purchased over 35 years ago was #596, in a #4 Perfection model. Then got to my Ballard-Pope three barrel set, and to my great surprise it is #595, and was purchased by me maybe 5 years ago?
    After 147 years these two that came down the line together are united again, and I never knew it until today! I thought this was pretty darn neat.

Boolit Grand Master

The odds must be astronomical! Those are some beautiful rifles you have there.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Love your collection and thanks for posting.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Well, I'll be.

The chance of the consecutive numbered pair, same model, still being in collectable condition and ending up in the same hands is an added multiple in their rarity.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Clearly the fog of old age is clouding up your brain. You might should one or two of those rifles to me for safe keeping.

Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful and a great coincidence.

Boolit Master

Jealous I am!
    Do you take them out and shoot them?
    One of these days, maybe I'll come across ONE.

Boolit Master
    As many Ballards as you have........

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The chance of the consecutive numbered pair, same model, still being in collectable condition and ending up in the same hands is an added multiple in their rarity.
    Well the condition of the cased Pope set is as I found it, but not so much on the #4 Ballard! The #4 was a real mess when I bought it, as the bore was ruined by some idiot stuffing a turned down '03 Springfield barrel in it, and rechambering it to .30-30. Then he went further by stamping the outside of the barrel with, ".30-30 Black Powder Only".
    So no saving that .45-70 barrel, and I had to get a new barrel and have it contoured to match the to match the original. Same for the wood. It was all there, and had the correct numbers matching buttplate, but huge cracks in the buttstock and pieces missing from the forearm. So had to make new wood to fit it. But it was a whopping $225 back then, and being a very early Ballard built by Marlin from leftover Brown Mfg. parts, it was well worth saving.

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Jealous I am!
    Do you take them out and shoot them?
    One of these days, maybe I'll come across ONE.
    I shoot all of my old single shot rifles, and not just occasionally. They get shot at our local club range for fun, and in matches also. Nothing I own is a safe queen that doesn't see use. I've even taken deer with some of them and packed them around the hills if the weather was dry. I don't take them out hunting if it's rainy, as I avoid abusing them.

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    As many Ballards as you have........
    Now I need to go through all my records, just to see if I've overlooked any others that might be the same. Doubt it, as that would be bordering on miracle status with about 40,000-50,000 Ballards made, and my collection is only 24 Ballard rifles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I shoot all of my old single shot rifles, and not just occasionally. They get shot at our local club range for fun, and in matches also. Nothing I own is a safe queen that doesn't see use. I've even taken deer with some of them and packed them around the hills if the weather was dry. I don't take them out hunting if it's rainy, as I avoid abusing them.
    Good deal!!!!
    I don't have a safe queen either.
    How did the barrel fit around the neck of Bubba the gunsmith

Boolit Man
    Odds and coincidence likely but if you find the same pair of hands worked and built both rifles then I believe we are talking Fate.

Rick

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

statistically speaking:1

That's pretty amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    Odds and coincidence likely but if you find the same pair of hands worked and built both rifles then I believe we are talking Fate.

Rick
    Since Marlin firearms were all hand built, the odds some workers were involved in handling or building parts for both guns would be quite good. But that's over 150 years ago now so probably not going to ask workers which guns they worked on now.