RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti revolvers

Uberti revolvers

Uberti, Cimmeron and Taylors single action clones; are these revolvers all the same including the finishes? Thinking I might buy one for beating the brush but which one? Not worried about scratches and such and for sure whatever one I get will need a tuneup..

Boolit Master

Uberti would be the producer..pretty sure Taylor and cimmaron just brand/sell.

Boolit Master

Cimmeron is Uberti. I'm positive about that. Taylor I'm not sure about.

Boolit Mold
    Yup, all made by Uberti. I have to say though that the deep, rich blueing and beautiful metal polishing work on my Schofield is pretty impressive.

Boolit Buddy
    All by Uberti. Roll marks are different and maybe some minor details.

I've seen the Scofields and they are pretty! Not sure the others are finished as nice. Actually read a post where one fellow said the finish on his Cimmeron was rubbing off. Another said Taylors were the best of the three finish wise..Mine will be worn in a holster so bound to get roughed up..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Cimmeron is Uberti. I'm positive about that. Taylor I'm not sure about.

Except for my Pietta made 2020 Cimarron Frontier.

Mike

Moderator Emeritus

I found this on "thefiringline.com":

"Texas Jack's is an Uberti dealer. I noticed their online catalog has "Texas Jack's Percussion by A. Uberti" and "Cimaron Pecussion".

Uberti - 1858 Remington Army $277.95

Cimarron - 1858 Remington Army $333.41

Both of those products have the same catalog number CA107. So I called Texas Jack's up to ask them what the difference was. I was told they are exactly the same gun except the Cimarron one is marked "Cimarron" while the other cheaper one is just marked "Uberti". So I asked, if they are exactly the same why would you buy a Cimarron imported firearm. His response...if you want it to say Cimarron you pay the extra money otherwise the guns are exactly the same in quality and appearance.

At this point I could care less if it says Cimarron or not if the firearms are otherwise exactly the same in quality and appearance. Oddly, I would have expected the cheaper one to have someone's importation mark on it."

Interesting as it was something I did not know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Dragoon View Post
    Except for my Pietta made 2020 Cimarron Frontier.

Mike
    Yep! I have one of those also. It is a good shooter but has issues with the floating firing pin and will mis fire.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Yep! I have one of those also. It is a good shooter but has issues with the floating firing pin and will mis fire.
    Well, mine is a fixed firing pin, 4 click hammer. I added a 45acp cylinder to it. It had other issues when I got it but it's all been updated/fixed now. Runs like a fool. Wouldn't go out of my way to get another one though.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Cimarron, I believe, has their own set of inspection standards and requirements for the revolvers they import from Uberti, and (I imagine), now Pietta. Sort of like the old days, when Navy Arms bought up the better examples of the Brescia percussion revolvers, and then Century Arms bought the best of the leftovers, and then the guys with the two-inch box ad in the back of the gun mags picked up the rest to sell for cheep. Not nearly as severe now; the manufacturers themselves have learned the business produce a much better and more consistent product.

But you can get more options on the Cimarrons, like fire-blue, plated and aged finishes, grips of more exotic materials, bullseye ejectors and black powder frames. The serif lettering on the caliber markings is more like the old Colts.

If you like the idea of something more exotic than the standard model, the Cimarron is worth it. I have two, a 4-3/4” .45 Colt and a 7-1/2” .32-20, both with black-powder style frames and bullseye ejectors. They were worth the extra price to me.

The .45 has the fire-blue finish, which is indeed more fragile than the standard bluing job. But I like it anyway.

Thanks for the info. Dealers in my area only want to stock plastic autoloaders so seeing any SA is about impossible these days.

Boolit Master
    Cimarron sounds western.

Uberti not so much.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I live in Virginia and go to Winchester for North-South Skirmishes, I am more familiar with Taylor's. I bought a 45 Colt from them to use mostly for Cowboy Fast Draw with wax bullets. Taylor's offers an option on most if not all of their variants they call "Taylor Tuned". They offer a variety of finishes from very basic to very nice. I personally picked their "Smokewagon" because it was tuned and on sale. never regretted my choice for a moment. And yes, mine has the original style hammer with firing pin on the nose and the beloved 4 clicks when it's cocked. I think their Old Randall version is their no frills version or perhaps their Ranch Hand. Regardless, the Taylor Tuned is required, IMHO.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Uberti, "Spaghetti Western"
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Inhave way too many Uberti revolvers (as well as Pietta) - cap and ball as well as cartridge. I have one Cimarron '58 Remington - bought it used. Much nicer casehardening look than my regular Ubertys and I believe they have them made to their specs. I have a couple of Taylors - came in a Taylor marked box with nice soft cases with velcro flaps. So maybe the extra price is for a bit better finish or a case or whatever. That said, all of ,one that are marked Uberti and purchased as Uberti have been top notch - great fit and finish - crisp actions, etc. right out of the box (same as the numerous Piettas I've purchased.

Would I purchase a Cimarron or Taylor over a regular Uberti? Maybe - if I was looking or handling them in person and for some reason I liked one over the other - but they will all get the job done. At last count, I think I have a dozen or so Uberti made revolvers of a wide variety of models and I'd be hard pressed if I had to pick "my favorite" because I like them all - same goes for my Piettas - but that's just me and everyone is different.

My Uberti .45 'Frisco' has never let me down, although the finish work could have been better, but I've not seen any better finish on Cimmaron's or Taylor's Ubertis. The finish work on my Uberti Second Model Dragoon is the best I have seen. As for my SAA's, the only real complaint I have is the fake color case hardening. On my Dragoon it looks real, but on the SAA's it screams fake. Maybe it's just different batches.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3036.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	312875

Boolit Master

One other benefit of a cimmaron is that if it needs service.. they have 2 locations in texas that 'factory' service them.... but it will take you forever to get them to send an rma.. and then forever for them to do the work... and when they probably do fix it.. it can have cosmetic problems afterwards.. but at least it gets fixed without going overseas I guess.

Boolit Master
    I almost owned a Uberti 1960 Army many years ago. Dixie Gun Works had them deeply discounted, but when I got mine the proof mark under the loading lever had been struck so hard that it raised a bump in the bore. Back it went and I didn't ask for an exchange because I was afraid something like that may be wrong with the whole lot of discounted revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master

I got a Cimmaron because they had the only 41 Colt chambering available. I'm satisfied - a 41 Colt that fits in a .22 holster.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!