RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Does anyone know what these are and what Colt pistol it is for?

Does anyone know what these are and what Colt pistol it is for?

I'm guessing it is a 44 cal pistol but what the heck is a Colt's Patent Revolving Holster Pistol? The package is a waxy thick paper - I think. It is unopened but too heavy to be just powder and some kind of envelope. Is Hazard's Powder a description or brand?
    Any info is greatly appreciated.
    ETG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pistol Carts 2.jpg   Pistol Carts.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

They're reproduction paper cartridges for 44/45 Cal. cap and ball revolvers.

https://www.cmrfirearms.com/cases-co...t98-p-574.html

I believe these are original.

Attachment 312835

Terminology was different back then.

Bunch more here
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ImgRaw%26r%3D0
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-10-2023 at 01:04 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Thier reproduction paper cartridges for 44/45 Cal. cap and ball revolvers

Thanks. That reproduction it is different than what I have. The outline is different, the fonts and inter-character spacing is different. That makes me think it is either a different company's reproduction or maybe a lot older than was thought. I know it is probably a reproduction but it's kind of fun to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    They're reproduction paper cartridges for 44/45 Cal. cap and ball revolvers.

I believe these are original.

Attachment 312835

Terminology was different back then.

Bunch more here
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ImgRaw%26r%3D0
    Man, there are a ton of those cartridges on there. At least I know whats in there without opening it. Thanks for your time and effort to reply.
    ETG

Boolit Master
    Seen one or them I think it's a 32 extra short rim fire, I can get more information for you or maybe a number to call. PM me if you want to chat more. I think it a different way of saying a shell holder, not an envelope more of a holder.

Boolit Master
    They're for the Colt 1860 Army revolver. Paper cartridges were the speed-loaders of the day. Most likely a modern reproduction but, I'm not sure.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    If you were dealing with Colt's Cartridge Works cartridges, they were labeled as follows:
    Colt's Revolving Holster Pistol was for the 44 caliber Dragoon (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Models)
    Colt's New Model Revolving Holster Pistol was for the 1860 Army.
    Generic packets made by aftermarket manufacturers were marked as the above photos are, quite often calling out either American Powder Company, or Hazard Powder Company's powder.
    The packets you show above are definitely reproductions.

I think the 44/100 means it is a 44 cal cartridge. Are these current day manufacture or are they just different brands like Winchester, Remington, Sellier & Bellot, etc. I noticed that the spelling of the powder company was Hazerd and not Hazard which was the real name of the company. Somebody sure went to a lot of trouble trying to make a package look over 100 years old. The plant blew up in 1913. I have boxes of 45 and 30-06 from the 50s that look a lot newer than this. Must be targeted for cartridge collectors. Good enough to fool me. I found it in the bottom of a box of muzzle loading and reloading stuff I bought at an estate auction.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.buffaloarms.com/ammo-44-...ges-cpc44.html

.44 Caliber Revolver Combustible Black Powder Paper Cartridges

For collectors, Civil War Reenactors and enthusiasts for all Colt, Remington, Uberti, Pietta etc. reproduction cap and ball revolver shooters. These fully functional and accurate combustible black powder paper cartridges are facsimiles of the original cartridges and packets issued during the Civil War! Packet labels vary.

Each black powder cartridge is hand rolled. The tapered end drops into the cylinder easily, seats firmly, potassium nitrate paper combusts completely leaving <4% ash residue. Seams sealed and ball seated with sodium silicate, (water glass). Speeds up loading by up to 50%!

Seal the loaded chambers with grease to prevent chain fire and to lubricate the ball.

Six cartridges to a box
    .454" lead round ball
    28 grains fffg black powder
    Comes boxed in a copy of an original box for an authentic look
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Correct Combustible Paper Cartridges For Colt Revolvers

I make reproductions similar to these using correct flash paper and flash glue. I also make wood and carboard boxes with labels to put them in. I just shot 25 of my .36 Cal. cartridges at the range thru my Uberti Leech and Rigdon revolver on 4-11-23. My targets were 8" diameter paper plates @25 yds. They are for my own use and not for sale. They leave zero residue in the chambers. Flash paper + flash glue + shipping are expensive, but they make the best and most historically correct, 100% combustible cartridges. I make them during the most dreary cold Winter's days when I don't have anything else to do. I usually load them with FFFg Black Powder and the appropriate size round pure lead ball.

Thanks M-Tecs - that answers a bunch of questions.