Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Triple Seven 50/50 Pellets

Triple Seven 50/50 Pellets

I was a bit torn on just where to post this, hopefully the right person will see it. Anyway, I have some Triple Seven pellets that I got for free a while back, and I'd like to use them up. A friend and I want to go aout and plink with our 50/70s, and we aren't really concerned about maximum accuracy or power; we're just going to have some fun blasting garbage at close range. Anyway, the package claims that the pellets are each equivalent to 50 grains, but is that 50 grains of real BP, or 50 grains of loose Triple Seven? Either way I'll be well inside the safety envelope with a single pellet, but I'd like to have some idea of what to expect. More importantly, do I need to compress the pellets? One pellet would have quite a bit of free space between it and the boolit, so if compression is required, I'll have to add a filler (perhaps this a good excuse to try grease cookies?) Thanks in advance,
    HD

I cut and pasted this excerpt from the data link below. Looks like hodgdon does not recommend using the 777 pellets in cartridges.

Triple Seven Pellets and White Hots Preformed Charges
    are not for use in cartridges, or with patched round ball.
    Pyrodex Pellets may be used in cartridges.

https://hodgdonreloading.com/wp-cont...2023_MDATA.pdf

Not only what Hodgdon says in print, but never, ever, EVER, allow a gap between black powder and the projectile when loading a muzzle loader or cartridges. Serious bad things will happen.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    Original triple 7 pellets don’t have the same energy as loose triple 7. They are similar to pyrodex in energy.

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Not only what Hodgdon says in print, but never, ever, EVER, allow a gap between black powder and the projectile when loading a muzzle loader or cartridges. Serious bad things will happen.
    That's why I am asking; I know that real black powder cannot have any gap, but I wasn't sure about Triple 7 pellets specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    That's why I am asking; I know that real black powder cannot have any gap, but I wasn't sure about Triple 7 pellets specifically.
    Yep, don't load the pellets into a cartridge. Grind them up and load them as loose powder in the 50/70, or pass them on to someone with an in-line muzzle loader. Maybe they would make good firecrackers?
    Deplorable infidel